Kevin Freeman, Dan Hurley zoom call with media | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Freeman, Dan Hurley zoom call with media

Reaction Score
Not in the mood for derailing this read. Yet.

I do believe coaches in many sports at many levels have freely stated who the leaders are on their teams.
I agree with your premise but I think it may be reading a little too deeply into the quote right now. We have to remember practices haven’t been “normal” for quite some time. Distancing for much of summer workouts and working out in smaller pods and not full team can be a reason why a full time leader hasn’t emerged

C

Chief00

Not the best of quotes. Ideally when you have a leader leave, someone steps in and fills the void immediately. Vital last laced them up almost 6 months ago.

Not going to freak out but would rather read "X has stepped up to be the leader", rather than X, Y, Z could be the leader".
It’s always nice if you have a PG who fills that void.

Reaction Score

in other words we'll haven no guard depth and a potentially ridiculous front court rotation?

cole-gaffney
bouk
adams-jackson-martin
whaley-polley-springs-akok
carlton-sanogo-brown

figuring out the rotations for this roster must give hurley headaches. imo the team would be better served this year and next if brown and martin both red shirted.

cole-gaffney
bouk-adams
polley-jackson
whaley-springs-akok
carlton-sanogo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
in other words we'll haven no guard depth and a potentially ridiculous front court rotation?

cole-gaffney
bouk
adams-jackson-martin
carlton-sanogo-brown

figuring out the rotations for this roster must give hurley headaches. imo the team would be better served this year and next if brown and martin both red shirted.

cole-gaffney
bouk-adams
polley-jackson
whaley-springs-akok
carlton-sanogo
I definitely think Brown will be redshirting. When it comes to Martin I definitely see your argument. It’s tricky though. If he’s granted a waiver then we truly have a loaded roster. As you mentioned, it’ll give Hurley headaches trying to figure the rotation out but I truly think we’d be 12 deep.

Reaction Score
Here's a question in regards to Martin being eligible for all. Why would we redshirt Martin when we more than likely only have one more year of Bouk? The potential 2-3 of those 2 together on the court with Jackson backing them up is scary. I'd like to see Bouk and Martin play together to help get the best out of each while on the court.

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Here's a question in regards to Martin being eligible for all. Why would we redshirt Martin when we more than likely we only have one more year of Bouk? The potential 2-3 of those 2 together on the court with Jackson backing them up is scary. I'd like to see Bouk and Martin play together to help get the best out of each while on the court.
Definitely agree here. Playing this year sets up Martin to have the best year possible next year, ie, with no rust.

Reaction Score
Definitely agree here. Playing this year sets up Martin to have the best year possible next year, ie, with no rust.
but by that logic redshirting next year would set him up for his best possible year as a senior in 2022 when we will have a better team than in 2021 and be competing for a natty chip

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
but by that logic redshirting next year would set him up for his best possible year as a senior in 2022 when we will have a better team than in 2021 and be competing for a natty chip
Nah that's not the logic. He only has two options at this point. Play next year having played this year or play next year having not played this year. The logic is he'll be better next year if he's played the year before and not taken time off.

Reaction Score
Nah that's not the logic. He only has two options at this point. Play next year having played this year or play next year having not played this year. The logic is he'll be better next year if he's played the year before and not taken time off.
so you're saying he wouldnt stay and play for 2 more years if he has to redshirt this year? i hope that's not the case. we dont know if hurley would have even recruited him if he was a sit 1 play 1 rather than a sit 1 play 2. hurley has made it as clear as he can without directly calling martin out that he wanted him to redshirt this year.

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
so you're saying he wouldnt stay and play for 2 more years if he has to redshirt this year? i hope that's not the case. we dont know if hurley would have even recruited him if he was a sit 1 play 1 rather than a sit 1 play 2. hurley has made it as clear as he can without directly calling martin out that he wanted him to redshirt this year.
Um no. That's not what I'm saying

Reaction Score
Um no. That's not what I'm saying
then try explaining yourself...

you said martin would be better in 2021 if he played in 2020 rather than redshirting. duh. but he'd be even better as a redshirt senior in 2022 after playing in 2021 and redshirting in 2020...

you said that's not the logic because his only options are redshirting this year and then playing in 2021 or playing in 2020 and 2021. idk what that means because he has a third option which is to redshirt and then play for 2 years...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
then try explaining yourself...

you said martin would be better in 2021 if he played in 2020 rather than redshirting. duh. so i said he'd be at his best as a redshirt senior in 2022 after playing in 2021 and redshirting in 2020...

you said that's not the logic because his only options are redshirting this year and then playing in 2021 or playing in 2020 and 2021. idk what that means since he can redshirt and then play for 2 years...
If I understand his post correctly he's saying we're looking at Martin playing in the 2021 season as a given. Looking only at 2021 his options are playing 2021 after a redshirt year (and then playing 2022 after) or playing 2021 after playing this upcoming season

Reaction Score
If I understand his post correctly he's saying we're looking at Martin playing in the 2021 season as a given. Looking only at 2021 his options are playing 2021 after a redshirt year (and then playing 2022 after) or playing 2021 after playing this upcoming season
what's the logic there? the world isnt ending in 2021 (i hope) there will be a 2022

Reaction Score
what's the logic there? the world isnt ending in 2021 (i hope) there will be a 2022
I guess the logic would be maximizing the team for a run in 2021. I'd have to give it a lot more thought to see if I'd prefer that but feel like a compelling case could be made. Backcourt of senior Cole/junior Gaffney, likely last years of Akok and Jackson could be a team to make a deep tourney run

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
So there's this player, Jordan Hawkins, who committed to UConn, who plays the same position as Martin and Bouknight. He will be a Freshman in 2021 and he and the staff are only planning on him being here 2 years. I can assure you the plan is not for him to back up Martin in 2022.

The year that needs to be bridged from Bouknight, if Hawkins is not ready immediately, is 2021. Thus, having Martin at his best in 2021 is the best thing for him and the team. There will not be as many minutes available for him in 2022 most likely.

Reaction Score

cole-gaffney
bouk
adams-jackson-martin
carlton-sanogo-brown

cole-gaffney
bouk-adams
polley-jackson
whaley-springs-akok
carlton-sanogo
I have never seen a coach complain of too much talent....don’t think this would be in hurleys mind frame at all
I also think that with our profile on the rise every win we can squeeze out next year will help to keep the momentum going. Having Martin on the roster will be a benefit to the team.

Reaction Score
So there's this player, Jordan Hawkins, who committed to UConn, who plays the same position as Martin and Bouknight.
bouknight isnt going to be here at the same time as hawkins so dont worry about him.
but there's also this guy named jackson that will be a sophomore starter in 2021 and he plays the same position as hawkins and martin too.

if hawkins can't start over martin as a sophomore then that's on him, especially if he thinks he's getting drafted after that season. hurley isnt going to rush martin out the door just to guarantee hawkins doesnt have any competition for a starting spot. jackson might still be here as a junior too and then what? once again your logic escapes me.

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
this guy named bouknight isnt going to be here at the same time as hawkins so dont worry about him.
but there's also this guy named jackson that will be a sophomore starter in 2021 and he plays the same position as hawkins and martin too.

if hawkins can't start as a sophomore over martin then that's on him, especially if he thinks he's getting drafted after that season. hurley isnt going to rush martin out the door just to guarantee hawkins doesnt have any competition for a starting spot. jackson might still be here as a junior too and then what? once again your logic escapes me.
Based on your previous posts, I assumed the logic would escape you.

Reaction Score
Based on your previous posts, I assumed the logic would escape you.
funny. still having trouble articulating your thoughts i see. can't make a coherent point so resorting to ad homiem insults. hate to see it.

Reaction Score
bouknight isnt going to be here at the same time as hawkins so dont worry about him.

if hawkins can't start over martin as a sophomore then that's on him, especially if he thinks he's getting drafted after that season. hurley isnt going to rush martin out the door just to guarantee hawkins doesnt have any competition for a starting spot. jackson might still be here as a junior too and then what? once again your logic escapes me.
Where did it become a bad thing to have more than 2 guys at a position, if Hawkins, Martin, and Jackson are all around good for us. Why do you keep mentioning this type of depth as a negative?

Reaction Score
Where did it become a bad thing to have more than 2 guys at a position, if Hawkins, Martin, and Jackson are all around good for us. Why do you keep mentioning this type of depth as a negative?
bgesus is the once saying martin has to be gone by 2022 so hawkins has a clear path to starting... that's not the same thing as me thinking 7 forwards on the roster in 2020 is overly crowded. most teams go 8-9 deep not 12-13.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
bgesus is the once saying martin has to be gone by 2022 so hawkins has a clear path to starting... that's not the same thing as me thinking 7 forwards on the roster in 2020 is overly crowded. most teams go 8-9 deep not 12-13.
Based on the way we’ve gotten the injury bug the last 4-5 years, having 12-13 quality players doesn’t seem like an issue to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom