Kemba article on The Athletic - tremendous | The Boneyard

Kemba article on The Athletic - tremendous

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know it's a behind a paywall but here's a Snippet:

After undergoing offseason hip surgery in 2010, [Donnell] Beverly needed to stay at UConn over the summer for physical therapy. Early in the process, his movement was limited enough that even routine tasks proved complicated. Though his friend’s condition wasn’t the only reason Walker spent most of the summer at the school, it did factor into Walker’s decision to stay on campus throughout the offseason.

“He basically stayed the whole summer with me in Storrs, Conn.,” Beverly says. “Like, that’s a friend.”

“I had to take care of my man,” Walker says. “That’s my guy. So I wanted to be there for him and help him as much as possible. Whatever he needed: food, drinks, just company in general. Because there’s nobody on campus in the summertime.”

Reaction Score
Loved this nugget in the article:

As the wins piled up, UConn grew more confident. After Walker’s game-winning shot toppled Pittsburgh, Oriakhi says the players looked around at one another like, “This is crazy.” Three close victories later, the Huskies took home the Big East championship. In the locker room, Oriakhi says, Napier called their shot, declaring they would proceed to win the national title.

“In my mind, I’m like, let’s just enjoy this,” Oriakhi says. “Shabazz called it, though. Nobody knows that Shabazz called it. From then on, it was just like, ‘Is this really happening right now?’ Because a year before, I was in the NIT, just hoping we could go to the NCAA Tournament the next year. It was like a movie, man.”

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I know it's a behind a paywall but here's a Snippet:

After undergoing offseason hip surgery in 2010, [Donnell] Beverly needed to stay at UConn over the summer for physical therapy. Early in the process, his movement was limited enough that even routine tasks proved complicated. Though his friend’s condition wasn’t the only reason Walker spent most of the summer at the school, it did factor into Walker’s decision to stay on campus throughout the offseason.

“He basically stayed the whole summer with me in Storrs, Conn.,” Beverly says. “Like, that’s a friend.”

“I had to take care of my man,” Walker says. “That’s my guy. So I wanted to be there for him and help him as much as possible. Whatever he needed: food, drinks, just company in general. Because there’s nobody on campus in the summertime.”

Every now and then my decision to pay for a subscription to The Athletic really pans out.

(It's a great website. I just don't read it enough.)

Reaction Score
Every now and then my decision to pay for a subscription to The Athletic really pans out.

(It's a great website. I just don't read it enough.)

I usually forget I'm a subscriber until I see the charge on my credit card statement while I'm doing reimbursements. It's a great website.

Reaction Score
I pay for KenPom, my friend pays for athletic, and we share accounts. Don't tell the FBI.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom