Katie Lou Will Not Participate in the Olympics [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou Will Not Participate in the Olympics [merged thread]

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
BOO. This Olympics is turning into such a sh!tsh0w. I have no doubt she'll be far from the last one who has to withdraw due to a positive test. Bad luck and bad timing for one of the good ones.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I'm sitting here thinking I'm sure glad that the Polio vaccines in the 1950's were a lot more effective than these Covid-19 vaccines.
I have not seen evidence that the polio vaccine was more effective that the Covid vaccines. But I do not remember anyone just choosing not to get the polio vaccines. I am sure there were some but the published data claims 90% effectiveness with two doses and 99% with three. Covid 19 jabs from Moderna or Pfizer are proving 90 % effective with two doses. However, the more people remain unvaccinated, the greater the spread of variant strains.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Covid at the Olympics before it has even begun. Who would have thunk it..
GIF by Lifetime

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou is such a hard luck person. Missing 4 NC games for various reasons, being in bad situations in Chicago and Dallas, and now this! My heart aches for her.

But missing the Olympics is manageable. I hope that it’s a very mild case (like Geno had). Asia Durr’s situation is debilitating, and my granddaughter’s doc is telling her she is now an ex-athlete. This is still a very nasty virus.

UConnNation is with you, Lou! Lots of love!

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Lou is such a hard luck person. Missing 4 NC games for various reasons, being in bad situations in Chicago abd Dallas, and now this! My heart aches for her.

But missing the Olympics is manageable. I hope that it’s a very mild case (like Geno had). Asia Durr’s situation is debilitating, and my granddaughter’s doc is telling her she is now an ex-athlete. This is still a very nasty virus.

UConnNation is with you, Lou! Lots of love!
Sorry to hear about your granddaughter. My youngest grandson just tested positive for the virus. It has changed many lives.

Reaction Score
Heartbroken about KLS not playing, but lots of folks out there are not doing the right thing by getting vaccinated and getting rid of this problem once and for all. We are all on the same team....talk to people, get it done.

Reaction Score
I have not seen evidence that the polio vaccine was more effective that the Covid vaccines. But I do not remember anyone just choosing not to get the polio vaccines. I am sure there were some but the published data claims 90% effectiveness with two doses and 99% with three. Covid 19 jabs from Moderna or Pfizer are proving 90 % effective with two doses. However, the more people remain unvaccinated, the greater the spread of variant strains.
While I do not know which vaccine of the two was more effective, I do remember vividly those in my community that suffered polio.
Metal leg braces (ala Forest Gump), crutches, physical deformities made it a very visual, in your face disease- unlike Covid which is invisible (until someone isn’t “around” anymore).
I think the visual aspects of Polio made that vaccine more acceptable, therefore easier to administer.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

“I’m fully vaccinated and took every precaution“ When I read this news earlier today watching ESPN, I immediately thought of our team (players). If Lou can test positive AFTER being vaccinated and taking every precaution, so can they. Once was enough!! I’m sure that Geno and his team don’t want to ride THAT merry-go-round again.

We’re all looking forward to playing a full and complete schedule with no postponements or cancellations. Classes resume 6 weeks from today. Official practice in about 12.

A lot can happen in the next 12 weeks. Let’s hope no one connected with the program tests positive the entire season.

Reaction Score
95% effective is actually pretty good for a vaccine but still: if all 11,000 athletes participating in the games are fully vaccinated, then 5% of that is 550. In real life not all of them will be exposed, so the numbers will be smaller than than, but the virulence of the Delta version means a bunch of them will be exposed. The good news is that even breakthrough infections seem mostly (entirely?) mild.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
While I do not know which vaccine of the two was more effective, I do remember vividly those in my community that suffered polio.
Metal leg braces (ala Forest Gump), crutches, physical deformities made it a very visual, in your face disease- unlike Covid which is invisible (until someone isn’t “around” anymore).
I think the visual aspects of Polio made that vaccine more acceptable, therefore easier to administer.
I lived in the Pittsburgh, Pa area as a child, and we were given the Salk vaccine in first grade as part of the early trials The nuns did not ask if you would like to get it, they just lined us up in the hall. I remember hearing about the iron lung, and although I was not sure what it was, I was darn sure it was no fun!

Reaction Score
I lived in the Pittsburgh, Pa area as a child, and we were given the Salk vaccine in first grade as part of the early trials The nuns did not ask if you would like to get it, they just lined us up in the hall. I remember hearing about the iron lung, and although I was not sure what it was, I was darn sure it was no fun!
If you lived during that time and saw people in the iron lung, you would have gotten the vaccine. For people who got polio, the iron lung breathed for them. My parents never hesitated having me vaccinated.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear about your granddaughter. My youngest grandson just tested positive for the virus. It has changed many lives.

Best wishes to you and your grandson! My granddaughter played Division III soccer in 2019 and made 1st team All-Conference as a freshman. Last September, the season was postponed. Her roommate's boyfriend had Covid symptoms and didn't tell anyone, so several people were exposed. As a result, 4 players on the women's soccer team contracted Covid. Caitie's situation was the most serious. She lost her sense of taste and smell, though they are now mostly back, 10 months later. She was very fatigued and had chest tightness, but wasn't close to being hospitalized. She had multiple chest X-rays and other tests that did not indicate any serious problem. But her cardio conditioning is very poor. In her nursing classes, her breathing capacity was by far the lowest in the class. The doc now says that Covid induced "latent adolescent asthma" in women aged 15-25 or so. Cait looks in shape, but she wheezes whenever she runs (which was a key asset in soccer). If she can be treated with therapy, an inhaler, etc., she may be able to resume soccer. I'm hoping. The important point is that there are nasty side effects of various types caused by Covid. I hope everyone can avoid the virus and certainly avoid the serious side effects.

Reaction Score
We also grew up in school with bomb drills where we went into the hallway, knelt down by the lockers, and put our hands around our necks. Looking back now how foolish that was, but that was during the cold war in the 50's.

Reaction Score
I'm sitting here thinking I'm sure glad that the Polio vaccines in the 1950's were a lot more effective than these Covid-19 vaccines.
Actually, the Covid vaccines are just as effective as those for Polio. Almost no one is dying after being vaccinated. There is also no comparison between the two diseases; one maims and the other kills.

Reaction Score
My guess is KLS is probably asymptomatic & feeling good. Probably a shock to her. This makes it even worse for her!

Reaction Score
When the polio vaccine became available, my mom rushed me to the Doc Woodward’s office for shots. Weeks later the line was hundreds of kids long at my junior high as the vaccine was administered to every kid. Of course, Colorado was a polio hot spot. The movie theater removed aisle seats to accommodate wheelchairs. I would visit friends who spent at least the evening in an iron lung, if not 24/7, usually set up in living room as it was too difficult to get the machine into bedrooms in our modest homes. My smallpox vaccine scar has faded with the passage of time. My kid didn’t need one because everyone in my generation did. We beat polio, we beat smallpox. We can beat Covid, yet it more than lingers because so many refuse to do what we did for polio and smallpox.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
95% effective is actually pretty good for a vaccine but still: if all 11,000 athletes participating in the games are fully vaccinated, then 5% of that is 550. In real life not all of them will be exposed, so the numbers will be smaller than than, but the virulence of the Delta version means a bunch of them will be exposed. The good news is that even breakthrough infections seem mostly (entirely?) mild.
Keep in mind it though that “95% effective“ just means that 95% of vaccinated people will not have a debilitating version of the disease. It does not mean that they are incapable of getting it or transmitting it.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom