Katie Lou Will Not Participate in the Olympics [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou Will Not Participate in the Olympics [merged thread]

Reaction Score
The solution is simple. Push Tokyo to 2022, then we start the cycle with games on a new four year schedule, 2026, 2030, etc.

Reaction Score
The solution is simple. Push Tokyo to 2022, then we start the cycle with games on a new four year schedule, 2026, 2030, etc.
Maybe the fairest solution is to let the athletes themselves decide whether to compete or not.
Conduct the competition in closed venues with no spectators-just the athletes, the officials and cameras to memorialize the results.
Sometimes an athlete has a very narrow window of peak performance.
Not fair for me to make the call after their years of sacrifice and preparation.
Let them conduct their own risk assessment.
As for me, I don’t plan on attending a professional sporting event anytime in the near future.
And yes, I’m fully vaccinated.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“I’m fully vaccinated and took every precaution“ When I read this news earlier today watching ESPN, I immediately thought of our team (players). If Lou can test positive AFTER being vaccinated and taking every precaution, so can they. Once was enough!! I’m sure that Geno and his team don’t want to ride THAT merry-go-round again.

We’re all looking forward to playing a full and complete schedule with no postponements or cancellations. Classes resume 6 weeks from today. Official practice in about 12.

A lot can happen in the next 12 weeks. Let’s hope no one connected with the program tests positive the entire season.
The gist of my concern in this post is no one connected with the program can let their guard down. Remember last year what happened when just one person in the program tested positive? A 14 day quarantine followed, scheduled games were cancelled and life as the team knew it changed day by day.

This Covid pandemic IS NOT over. Continue to take every precaution possible to ensure that no one in the program succumbs to its ravages, and program does not have to walk down THAT path again this season.

The fact that Katie Lou was fully vaccinated, took every precaution and still tested positive is disturbing. This should be a warning to UConn and every other WCBB program in the country.

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
OK - EXACTLY what would you have done?
And based on that, who does deserve the Olympics?
I would have vaccinated the citizens of the Land of the Rising Sun and taken care of them first so they would actually get behind the Olympics.

As far as who "deserves" the Olympics, I am tempted to quote William Money's comment to Little Bill as I tend to do every time I see the word deserve, but this time I will hold back.

Countries who deserve the Olympics in a pandemic ridden world. This list is definitive.

• Mauritius

• Tanzania

• New Zealand

• Iceland

• Singapore

• Australia
  • Canada

Reaction Score
If you lived during that time and saw people in the iron lung, you would have gotten the vaccine. For people who got polio, the iron lung breathed for them. My parents never hesitated having me vaccinated.
My recollection is that it was pretty much mandatory.
I was young so not really sure.
But no one complained as we saw the result of Polio.
Went to the High School ( L.I.) when scheduled- administered on a sugar cube on a little piece of paper that a cookie may have been served on.
No fuss-no muss. No conspiracy theories.
Maybe because there was still a belief in science.
Country was involved in a Space Race- trying to get a man on the moon.
Science community was held in high esteem- unlike now (by many).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I would have vaccinated the citizens of the Land of the Rising Sun and taken care of them first so they would actually get behind the Olympics.

As far as who "deserves" the Olympics, I am tempted to quote William Money's comment to Little Bill as I tend to do every time I see the word deserve, but this time I will hold back.

Countries who deserve the Olympics in a pandemic ridden world. This list is definitive.

• Mauritius

• Tanzania

• New Zealand

• Iceland

• Singapore

• Australia
  • Canada
'I would have vaccinated the citizens of the Land of the Rising Sun'
as the most statistically intelligent and longest lived major nation on planet earth, i'll stick with they know better than you as to what they should do.
'Japan has the lowest rate of heart disease in the OECD, and the lowest level of dementia in the developed world.'
as of today, the nation of 125,000,000, living in a most densely populated and urbanized setting on earth, has a grand total of around 15,000 deaths.
the japanese people did not want these games to take place there.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We also grew up in school with bomb drills where we went into the hallway, knelt down by the lockers, and put our hands around our necks. Looking back now how foolish that was, but that was during the cold war in the 50's.
I remember those drills. Those tactics were foolish, but they had to do something. None of the schools I attended had a bomb shelter large enough to accommodate the entire school. So getting under your desk, putting your head down and your hands behind your neck was the best they could do. Those tactics would at least protect us from flying glass from the windows that would more than likely shatter from a near bomb blast, and from falling debris. :confused:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I remember those drills. Those tactics were foolish, but they had to do something. None of the schools I attended had a bomb shelter large enough to accommodate the entire school. So getting under your desk, putting your head down and your hands behind your neck was the best they could do. Those tactics would at least protect us from flying glass from the windows that would more than likely shatter from a near bomb blast, and from falling debris. :confused:
That flying glass would barely precede the blast inferno which would kill all those kiddies.

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
'Japan has the lowest rate of heart disease in the OECD, and the lowest level of dementia in the developed world.'

Very illuminating. This would mean absolutely something if the world's athlete's were worried about contracting heart disease or dementia in the next 3 weeks. Alas we are talking about Covid. Im talking apples and you try to make it about oranges.

Reaction Score
H
Very illuminating. This would mean absolutely something if the world's athlete's were worried about contracting heart disease or dementia in the next 3 weeks. Alas we are talking about Covid. Im talking apples and you try to make it about ora

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
The list of athletes not participating due to Covid is going to be a long one before this is over. The Japanese have done a crap job dealing with the pandemic and quite frankly don't deserve to host the Olympics.

Regarding your last sentence, if this is true, what does it say about how the US has handled COVID?

if you compare the ratio of the two country’s populations and apply that ratio to the number of COVID deaths suffered by the Japanese, the death toll in our country would be 39,000 instead of the 609,000 we have experienced. Our death rate is 15.6 times greater than that of the Japanese.

I’m not saying the Japanese have done a great job managing the pandemic, and I think their management of the Olympics and decision making has left a lot to be desired, but I wouldn’t be casting stones their way either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom