Kalani Brown and Arike Ogunbowale Among Prospects to Attend the WNBA Draft 2019 Presented by State Farm | The Boneyard

Kalani Brown and Arike Ogunbowale Among Prospects to Attend the WNBA Draft 2019 Presented by State Farm

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Associated Press National Player of the Year Megan Gustafson of Iowa, Mississippi State center Teaira McCowan and Notre Dame guard Arike Ogunbowale headline the list of 12 prospects who will attend WNBA Draft 2019 presented by State Farm® on Wednesday, April 10 at the Nike New York Headquarters.

ESPN2 will air the first round beginning at 7 p.m. ET, followed by coverage of the second and third rounds on ESPNU at 8 p.m. ET. The draft will also stream live on the ESPN app.

The other prospects who will be in attendance are center/forward Kristine Anigwe (California), center Kalani Brown (Baylor), forward Napheesa Collier (Connecticut), guard Sophie Cunningham (Missouri), guard Asia Durr (Louisville), guard Katie Lou Samuelson (Connecticut), forward Alanna Smith(Stanford), center Han Xu (China), and guard Jackie Young (Notre Dame).

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Oh cool, should be fun to watch all these elite players there. Glad Sophie will make it, but pity Anriel Howard didn't make the cut for a double Mississippi State party.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So that opens up the question as to who will be the last player picked among the invited players?

Reaction Score
And why is AO in the lead paragraph??? She isn't a "headliner" unless they show the last 2 foul shots of her college career :) .
And she wasn't anyone's POY, so...

Reaction Score
And why is AO in the lead paragraph??? She isn't a "headliner" unless they show the last 2 foul shots of her college career :) .
But, she made the big story of missing a FT and .... lost the ND's NC chance.
Definitely a headline person ... :)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Because that is the way it was written by whoever wrote the story on the WNBA website. I cut & pasted it. I didn't add or change anything. Does it really make a difference who the writer chooses to lead with in the headline? :confused:

See for yourself.
[Link]

Carnac

Reaction Score
So that opens up the question as to who will be the last player picked among the invited players?

Well, somebody is going to be last. It will depend on each team's needs when they are on the clock. Do they fill a need, or take the best player available? :rolleyes: I could guess who will be last, but that's all it would be........a guess.

Reaction Score
With all the talent in the draft this year, surprised only 12 "prospects" will attend this gala event.

Reaction Score
Because that is the way it was written by whoever wrote the story on the WNBA website. I cut & pasted it. I didn't add or change anything. Does it really make a difference who the writer chooses to lead with in the headline? :confused:

See for yourself.
[Link]
I didn't mean that you wrote or edited the paragraph but was wondering why she's still "lead" worthy after how the NC game ended.
But it was actually more of a rhetorical question because I know plenty of writers of WBB still hold her in high esteem, I don't.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I didn't mean that you wrote or edited the paragraph but was wondering why she's still "lead" worthy after how the NC game ended.
But it was actually more of a rhetorical question because I know plenty of writers of WBB still hold her in high esteem, I don't.

Neither do I. Ogunbowle is not liked or revered by UConn Nation because of the cheap shots she took at our players (Dangerfield in particular), or for the disrespect she exhibited towards Geno last December when she verbally told him to "shut up", then refused to apologize afterwards when she was called out on it.

I recognize that she has exceptional skills, but she is bankrupt in the area of respect for her opponents and good sportsmanship. She passed up the opportunity to make things right before she left, so I'll remember her as she was the last time I saw her, which was bullish, arrogant and unapologetic. :mad: Call me petty, but I have no problem with the way their game (and her career) ended, and that she is perceived by many as wearing the goat horns for their loss. I'm loving it!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Reading all this residual hate for Arike is hilarious after reading this twitter exchange earlier today:

Never forget folks, we take these rivalries and grudges way more seriously than the actual players on the teams.
1554917986037.png

Carnac

Reaction Score
Reading all this residual hate for Arike is hilarious after reading this twitter exchange earlier today:

Never forget folks, we take these rivalries and grudges way more seriously than the actual players on the teams.
View attachment 42127

Orangutan, I think I understand where these college athletes mindsets are, having been one myself years ago. I remember my thought process when I was her age. You said: "we take these rivalries and grudges way more seriously than the actual players on the teams." She's 22, I'm 3 times her age. We don't think alike. I'm not a saint. I'm way past the point of caring what others think about me or my opinions. God and my wife are the only two whose thoughts of me matter.

We (UConn fans) understand that Irish fans and fans of other programs may look at our dislike and vitriol for Arike, ND and Vol Nation as petty or childish. It is what it is. We also understand the level of hate, acrimony and virulence many Irish and Tennessee fans have for us (UConn fans), Geno and everything UConn. It's OK, we can live with it! ;) The sun will rise tomorrow. I know God wants us to love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek. He's still working on me cause I'm not there yet.

You are the exception. You are liked and respected here. The tenor of your posts never suggest hubris or disrespect towards our fan base or our program. We appreciate that. We always enjoy reading your comments.

Tennessee and Notre Dame will never have a warm place in our hearts. We know the hate and disdain their fans have for us. We know how they curse and disrespect us (and Geno) on their boards.

Some folks here will never forget (or forgive) the actions of Pat Summit in 2007, and the length she went to bring UConn to its knees. How she accused Geno and staff of recruiting improprieties, and the disrespect she showed Maya Moore and her mother, and subsequently suspending play between the two programs. Personally, I would prefer that we never resume playing them, and that their women's BB program continue on its current downward spiral into mediocrity.

My personal dislike for ND began way back in the 70's because of the arrogance of their football program, their players and coaches. Nothing has changed in the last 40 years. I also don't like the way Muffet takes the opportunity to go off on Geno in the press every chance she gets, especially during tournament time, calling him a "bully", while she continues to sit boldly on her throne of arrogance and entitlement.

Mike Anthony: The goofy chatter that preceded yet another classic Final Four was a disservice to women’s basketball »

I don't care about/for Arike, just like she didn't care about her actions (gave Dangerfield a cheap shot, and cursed at Geno in full view and ear shot of young impressionable children in the stands) during the game in December, and refused to apologize for those actions afterwards. Hilarious? I don't think so.

She continues to poke the bear with this tweet "I'm sure you want to hear something negative". She has earned our perception of her. She's not a kid. She turned 22 on March 2. She's an adult!! I'm older than Geno and Muffet, and I would NEVER disrespect either of them by cursing at them.

As far as I know, she was the only player to openly curse Geno to his face, and refuse to shake his hand in the post-game hand-shake line this season, and you expect us to forget (or forgive) those acts of arrogance, bravado and disrespect? Do you remember exactly what Geno said about the possibility of him and Muffet getting together after the game and having a bottle of wine? :eek: There's your answer.

I was very happy that Baylor won. I was also happy to see Ogunbowale (and Notre Dame) experience the agony of a gut wrenching 1 point defeat!!! :D

Carnac

Reaction Score

The same way NFL players handle it. Every professional sports team has players on it that don't necessarily like each other for whatever reason(s). There were guys on my college BB team I didn't care for, but It did not keep me from playing with them. You don't get to pick your teammates (unless you’re LeBron). ;)

We hear about it all the time. 53 players on a team. Some players on offense may not like some players on defense and vice versa. You're a professional. You're paid to play and win games, not to get warm and fuzzy with your teammates or go to the local watering hole after practice and sing kumbaya.

You try to leave your ego and petty jealousies or dislikes for others in the car before you enter the facility/stadium.

In short, you're trying to keep your job!!! You don't necessarily concern your self with everyone of your teammates. You try to be a "team guy". There will always be those you gravitate to, and those you don't. :cool:

Reaction Score
Orangutan, I completely understand where these college athletes mindsets are, having been one myself years ago. I remember my thought process when I was her age. She's 22, I'm 3 times her age. We don't think alike. I'm not a saint. I'm way past the age of caring what others think about me or my opinions. God and my wife are the only two whose thoughts of me matter...

I was very happy that Baylor won. I was also happy to see Ogunbowale (and Notre Dame) experience the agony of defeat!!! :D
Well stated and I agree with you 100% as I am guessing that quite a few BYers do also.
If it was possible, I would give your post multiple . Oh wait:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Orangutan, I completely understand where these college athletes mindsets are, having been one myself years ago. I remember my thought process when I was her age. You said: "we take these rivalries and grudges way more seriously than the actual players on the teams." She's 22, I'm 3 times her age. We don't think alike. I'm not a saint. I'm way past the point of caring what others think about me or my opinions. God and my wife are the only two whose thoughts of me matter.

We (UConn fans) understand that Irish fans and fans of other programs may look at our dislike and vitriol for Arike, ND and Vol Nation as petty. It is what it is. We also understand the level of hate, acrimony and virulence many Irish and Tennessee fans have for us (fans), Geno and everything UConn. It's OK, we can live with it! ;)The sun will rise tomorrow. I know God wants us to love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek. He's still working on me cause I'm not there yet.

You are the exception. You are liked and respected here. The tenor of your posts never suggest hubris or disrespect towards our fan base or our program. We appreciate that. We always enjoy reading your comments.

Tennessee and Notre Dame will never have a warm place in our hearts. We know the hate and disdain their fans have for us. We know how they curse and disrespect us (and Geno) on their boards.

Some folks here will never forget the actions of Pat Summit in 2007, and how she accused Geno and UConn of recruiting improprieties, and the disrespect she showed Maya Moore and her mother, and subsequently suspending play between the two programs. Personally, I would prefer that we never resume playing them, and that their women's BB program continue on its current downward spiral into mediocrity.

My personal dislike for ND began way back in the 70's because of the arrogance of their football program, their players and coaches. Nothing has changed in the last 40 years. I also don't like the way Muffet takes the opportunity to go off on Geno every chance she gets, especially during tournament time, calling him a "bully", as she continues to sit boldly on her throne of arrogance and entitlement.

Speaking for my self, I don't care about/for Arike, just like she didn't care about her actions (gave Dangerfield a cheap shot, and cursed at Geno) during the game in December, or apologizing for them afterwards. She continues to poke the bear with this tweet "I'm sure you want to hear something negative". She has earned our perception of her. She's not a kid. She turned 22 on March 2. She's an adult!!

As far as I know, she was the only player to openly curse Geno, and refuse to shake his hand in the hand-shake line this season, and you expect us to forget that? Remember exactly what Geno said about the possibility of him and Muffet getting together after the game and having a bottle of wine? :eek: There's your answer.

I was very happy that Baylor won. I was also happy to see Ogunbowale (and Notre Dame) experience the agony of defeat!!! :D
Now Scoop why don't you tell us how YOU really feel.:mad::mad: By the way I also know that YOU do care what the thoughts of your Granddaughter has of you.:p:rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

View attachment 42127

Cue Geno's musings about "Where did all the hate go? It's no fun anymore" (wry smile).

Carnac

Reaction Score
Now Scoop why don't you tell us how YOU really feel.:mad::mad: By the way I also know that YOU do care what the thoughts of your Granddaughter has of you.:p:rolleyes:

You're right. I was on a roll and got carried away. I have two granddaughters that I love and care about and how they perceive me. I've always been mindful of my language and actions when in their presence. :cool:

Reaction Score
Oh cool, should be fun to watch all these elite players there. Glad Sophie will make it, but pity Anriel Howard didn't make the cut for a double Mississippi State party.
I've only looked at a couple of mock drafts, but list looks a lot like what I'm seeing as the predicted group to go in the first round. ESPN and Swish Appeal both have Anriel late in the second round.

I guess we'll see soon!

Carnac

Reaction Score

Megan Gustafson was the last player of those invited to the draft to be selected. She was chosen 5th in the 2nd round (17th overall) to the Dallas Wings.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Orangutan, I think I understand where these college athletes mindsets are, having been one myself years ago. I remember my thought process when I was her age. You said: "we take these rivalries and grudges way more seriously than the actual players on the teams." She's 22, I'm 3 times her age. We don't think alike. I'm not a saint. I'm way past the point of caring what others think about me or my opinions. God and my wife are the only two whose thoughts of me matter.

We (UConn fans) understand that Irish fans and fans of other programs may look at our dislike and vitriol for Arike, ND and Vol Nation as petty or childish. It is what it is. We also understand the level of hate, acrimony and virulence many Irish and Tennessee fans have for us (UConn fans), Geno and everything UConn. It's OK, we can live with it! ;) The sun will rise tomorrow. I know God wants us to love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek. He's still working on me cause I'm not there yet.

Some folks here will never forget (or forgive) the actions of Pat Summit in 2007, and the length she went to bring UConn to its knees. How she accused Geno and staff of recruiting improprieties, and the disrespect she showed Maya Moore and her mother, and subsequently suspending play between the two programs. Personally, I would prefer that we never resume playing them, and that their women's BB program continue on its current downward spiral into mediocrity.

My personal dislike for ND began way back in the 70's because of the arrogance of their football program, their players and coaches. Nothing has changed in the last 40 years. I also don't like the way Muffet takes the opportunity to go off on Geno in the press every chance she gets, especially during tournament time, calling him a "bully", while she continues to sit boldly on her throne of arrogance and entitlement.

I don't care about/for Arike, just like she didn't care about her actions (gave Dangerfield a cheap shot, and cursed at Geno in full view and ear shot of young impressionable children in the stands) during the game in December, and refused to apologize for those actions afterwards. Hilarious? I don't think so.

She continues to poke the bear with this tweet "I'm sure you want to hear something negative". She has earned our perception of her. She's not a kid. She turned 22 on March 2. She's an adult!! I'm older than Geno and Muffet, and I would NEVER disrespect either of them by cursing at them.

As far as I know, she was the only player to openly curse Geno to his face, and refuse to shake his hand in the post-game hand-shake line this season, and you expect us to forget (or forgive) those acts of arrogance, bravado and disrespect? Do you remember exactly what Geno said about the possibility of him and Muffet getting together after the game and having a bottle of wine? :eek: There's your answer.

I was very happy that Baylor won. I was also happy to see Ogunbowale (and Notre Dame) experience the agony of a gut wrenching 1 point defeat!!! :D
1555272651067.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom