OT: Juwan Durham update | The Boneyard

OT: Juwan Durham update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Juwan Durham to visit Notre Dame as part of transfer plan

Coming out of high school, Durham figured he was a good fit for Connecticut. He was a versatile big man who would dig in and defend. He could play with his back to the basket or facing it. He could put the ball on the floor. He could score. He could rebound.

Then he did very little of any of that last season.

Durham played in 28 games with no starts. He averaged 1.6 points and 1.5 rebounds in 8.3 minutes. He shot 37.5 percent from the free throw line with nine blocked shots and 27 fouls. He never could figure out his role before ultimately realizing he didn’t have one.

“This isn’t the best fit for me,” he said of his time in Storrs. “I don’t know if I was being utilized the right way all the time. It was like I had a short leash.”

Reaction Score
Juwan Durham to visit Notre Dame as part of transfer plan

Coming out of high school, Durham figured he was a good fit for Connecticut. He was a versatile big man who would dig in and defend. He could play with his back to the basket or facing it. He could put the ball on the floor. He could score. He could rebound.

Then he did very little of any of that last season.

Durham played in 28 games with no starts. He averaged 1.6 points and 1.5 rebounds in 8.3 minutes. He shot 37.5 percent from the free throw line with nine blocked shots and 27 fouls. He never could figure out his role before ultimately realizing he didn’t have one.

“This isn’t the best fit for me,” he said of his time in Storrs. “I don’t know if I was being utilized the right way all the time. It was like I had a short leash.”
And here I thought they were taking care of his body by not pushing him. No good deed goes unpunished.

Reaction Score
Durham wasn't ready for Division 1 basketball last year. Either his knees weren't strong enough or he didn't believe in them enough. Either way, I think the off year will help with his strength but he hasn't played meaningful minutes of basketball in years now. Seems like a good kid so I don't hope he fails or anything, but it seems he didn't meet his own expectations and instead of looking internally, blamed it on the staff and utilization.

Reaction Score
Durham wasn't ready for Division 1 basketball last year. Either his knees weren't strong enough or he didn't believe in them enough. Either way, I think the off year will help with his strength but he hasn't played meaningful minutes of basketball in years now. Seems like a good kid so I don't hope he fails or anything, but it seems he didn't meet his own expectations and instead of looking internally, blamed it on the staff and utilization.
That quote makes him look weak. Especially following those stats that were listed. He was simply terrible/unplayable. To blame that on Ollie and the coaching staff publicly is weak and inconsiderate. Especially knowing the trouble recruiting were having right now. The best way he could've repayed KO and UConn's loyalty to him would be to shut up and walk away

Reaction Score
That quote makes him look weak. Especially following those stats that were listed. He was simply terrible/unplayable. To blame that on Ollie and the coaching staff publicly is weak and inconsiderate. Especially knowing the trouble recruiting were having right now. The best way he could've repayed KO and UConn's loyalty to him would be to shut up and walk away
While I don't know him and wouldn't consider him a bad person, you have to question his mentality, and dare I say it for lack of a better word, character. You have a coach that recruited you and didn't reneg on your scholarship after two blown ACL's and then you not only transfer but blame your play on him? It's not a good look at all

Reaction Score
While I don't know him and wouldn't consider him a bad person, you have to question his mentality, and dare I say it for lack of a better word, character. You have a coach that recruited you and didn't reneg on your scholarship after two blown ACL's and then you not only transfer but blame your play on him? It's not a good look at all
Agreed. I mean the kid had more airballs than made baskets

Reaction Score
Honestly if I were KO over he last few years of recruiting and what these recent kids have done, I'd be brooding too.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Wish he stayed. I know people are going to pretend they didn't see anything in him. But for a kid who hadn't played serious basketball much in over a year, he showed flashes of his prior self. Sneaky athleticism, hands, a couple post moves, and zone busting ability. Sure, these moments might have been few and far between, but he did things his freshman year Brimah hadn't done his entire career. There's a reason schools like Notre Dame, VA Tech, and Louisville are recruiting him.

This one hurts the most because of the loyalty we showed him after his second knee tear. But that doesn't take away from the truth. He's going to be a nice addition at whichever school he ends up with, hopefully he doesn't burn us down the road.

Reaction Score
what a turd comment... did he ever watch film of himself play? I know he was injured and he played like it; he looked like a baby giraffe trying to figure out how to move more often than not. It's obvious that there is talent there, but he was a bad player this year and even with a depleted roster, he could not play well enough to get big minutes. And there was a short leash? Jesus, what has happened to college basketball.

Reaction Score
Wish he stayed. I know people are going to pretend they didn't see anything in him. But for a kid who hadn't played serious basketball much in over a year, he showed flashes of his prior self. Sneaky athleticism, hands, a couple post moves, and zone busting ability. Sure, these moments might have been few and far between, but he did things his freshman year Brimah hadn't done his entire career. There's a reason schools like Notre Dame, VA Tech, and Louisville are recruiting him.

This one hurts the most because of the loyalty we showed him after his second knee tear. But that doesn't take away from the truth. He's going to be a nice addition at whichever school he ends up with, hopefully he doesn't burn us down the road.
At this point his talent is irrelevant tho. I can almost gurantee you that no player ever became great with is mentality. He wasnt just bad he was terrible. He didnt deserve to play. He should acknowledge that instead of throwing shots at the program while its down. He was the reason he had more fouls than total points on the season not the staff. I guess KO made him shoot 37% from the free throw line too? He seems like a nice kid, but these comments do not give me any reason to believe he'll ever be a "great" player

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Id love to hear what other transfer kids are saying about their former teams and situations. Is this kinda thing being said all over? Thats a charmin soft statement. Your coach, your boss, knows less about a job hes being paid millions of dollars to do, than you do? Someone needs to go work a real job for a couple months. Holy crap.

Reaction Score
Yeah, now that's a snowflake. They started him out slow because he was returning from injuries last year. He got injured again with his foot during the year, missing more time. I guess KO should have just played him 30 minutes a game, IN BETWEEN all the injuries.........

That's just weak

Reaction Score
I don't think he was "awful" in the minutes he played, but that has something to do with the rest of the team not playing well either. Fact is he clearly had minutes to show the coaches, the fans and the world something and he did not.

Reaction Score
I don't think he was "awful" in the minutes he played, but that has something to do with the rest of the team not playing well either. Fact is he clearly had minutes to show the coaches, the fans and the world something and he did not.

Which I think is ok, he missed so much time he was obviously going to need time to acclimate to the college game. I bet he couldn't even explain how he felt he could have been utilized more effectively

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Which I think is ok, he missed so much time he was obviously going to need time to acclimate to the college game. I bet he couldn't even explain how he felt he could have been utilized more effectively
Between all the injuries he was also sick. Thinks he should have started over Facey? Pay your dues kid.

Reaction Score
Between all the injuries he was also sick. Thinks he should have started over Facey? Pay your dues kid.

Whereas an argument could be made that Enoch and Jackson had some legitimacy to their reasons for leaving..........this kid just seems obtuse. And I hate to even say that, he is still a kid, but man......that quote is baffling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom