2023 Recruiting: - Justin Edwards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Justin Edwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You still get the feeling from that article that it's us and Kentucky right now. I just dont see how Maryland can make up ground while they're still so far from hiring their coach.
I like that he has taken his OV to Kentucky already but is not a Kentucky lean. We seem to do very well closing on recruits when they come in for their OV. I am hopeful.

Reaction Score
Tbh.... it sounds like he's ours to lose. Maybe I'm too optimistic but he wants to go to a program that feels like home and fits his style. He's already said that UCONN fits that mold. And he sounds so excited about Kimani. So I'm thinking we get him when it's all said and done.

Reaction Score
Tbh.... it sounds like he's ours to lose. Maybe I'm too optimistic but he wants to go to a program that feels like home and fits his style. He's already said that UCONN fits that mold. And he sounds so excited about Kimani. So I'm thinking we get him when it's all said and done.

You can never, ever discount when UK is in on a committment. And we also have to realistically understand there's a pretty good shot Kimani gets a head coaching job in the next 6 months--he's earned it.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
You can never, ever discount when UK is in on a committment. And we also have to realistically understand there's a pretty good shot Kimani gets a head coaching job in the next 6 months--he's earned it.
hope it's not at Maryland

Reaction Score
Maryland doesn’t even have a coach. Hard to believe any recruit seriously looking at that school without knowing who will be steering the ship next year…

Reaction Score
Stats from 3 of his games....

13.8 PPG
6.5 RPG
1.2 APG

0.7 TO
1.7 STL
1.7 BLK

47% FG
56% 2FG
18% 3FG
0/0 FT

Overall: Overall: Great athlete, size, and frame. Solid game sense, and isn’t forcing anything. Limited as a passer and 1v1 creator and handling in general outside the open court. Doesn’t attack the rim strong enough or that much at all–hence 0/0 from the FT line in 3 games. More of a 4 than I expected. Strikes me as the type of high-end 5* that disappoints people because he won’t be a star year 1. He’s a hell of a player with high potential and will have an important impact wherever he plays, but I don’t see him averaging 15 a game his freshman year or something.

Offense:
  • Plays like a 4 here more than I expected. Ball skills are lower than I’d expected. Makes me think Bowen and Edwards are being recruited for the same position. I think he plays 4 in college and 3 if he gets to the pros… kind of like Rudy.
  • Not a great passer. Had the one game where he went ballistic passing it, but seems like most of the time he’s just swinging it around the perimeter.
  • Not a good shooter yet but his form is good. Streaky.
  • Really good sense of cutting, when to score, when to swing the ball… I like the game sense.
  • IDK if I’ve ever seen a top-10ish player be as little a part of his team’s offense outside of set plays before. He stands around A LOT.
  • In 2 games he settled too much for the mid-range Kobe stuff. Some of his mid-range shots… are just awful.
  • Open court handle is pretty good for his size. Handle in the half-court is okay, but again… good for being 6’8 or 6’9.
  • NOT a 1v1 creator. He relies on other guys to set him up a lot. But he does have a couple of nice hesitations and such on his crossover and can go to either side. If he keeps working on that it could be a really important piece of his game.
  • Dribbles and finishes with both hands… underrated for a hs prospect. That’s important. So much harder to scheme a guy on D.
  • Needs plays run for him… not a create something out of nothing type.
  • Doesn’t really rely on the jumpstop the way Hurley and co. teach. It would elevate his game to get comfortable with it
Defense:
  • Defensive potential is high. Great length and quickness.
  • Amazing at the front of a press.
  • Team defense seems pretty solid. I don’t recall many positional breakdowns.
  • Gets beat going to the rim too much, but also gets shot over too much for 3s… He isn’t committed to defending one or the other like he needs to be…
  • It’s so hard to read the defense of HS recruits. The energy and effort is just nothing compared to college.
Other:
  • Rebounding is very good when he isn’t wandering on the perimeter. Looks for the box out when he needs to.
  • He is tall, long, and super athletic. Second jump is ridiculously fast. Looks a legit 6’8 or 6’9 with an awesome frame. I can see why NBA teams are already excited about this prospect.
  • Like many hs recruits, his effort isn’t up to par.
  • Doesn’t take many risks on the court. Low assist guy but also low TO. Kind of the opposite of Andre in that way.
  • Seems to have a great motor. Pressed the whole game and didn’t look tired once.
  • Streaky in most every part of the game… has all the pieces, but doesn’t put it all together consistently. Very normal at this stage… Kuminga looked the same way last year and he was a better prospect.

Game 1:

Mid-range post up

Back cut for 2
Imhotep Charter vs Neumann-Goretti Boys Basketball Play by Play Clssic LIVE from Chase Field House

Inbound cut for 2
Imhotep Charter vs Neumann-Goretti Boys Basketball Play by Play Clssic LIVE from Chase Field House

Scoring off the dish for 2

Wild sequence here… gets 1 dribble pull up shot blocked, gets the ball back… misses… O board, misses again.. O board again..fianlly makes it… really great effort play all around

Dunk… but the bonehead cameraman missed it

Steal

Game 2:

Block
Imhotep Charter vs. Mount St. Joseph High School Basketball - 2021 Diane Mosco Foundation Shootout

Rebound and the longggg outlet and assist
Imhotep Charter vs. Mount St. Joseph High School Basketball - 2021 Diane Mosco Foundation Shootout

Mid-range iso

Embarassing guys with the 1 dribble dunk, lol

Assist

Steal… misses the dunk

Oop! Big one

Too much dribble… but gets the dunk

Textbook back cut

Misses the stupid long 2… but gets the steal and 2 after.

3 ball

Didn’t result in anything but I really like this play

FANTASTIC pass

Mid-range J… much better than some others because he had space and balance instead of forcing.

THAT is a play off the dribble. Good grief. Assist.

Another assist

3 ball

2 blocks in a row

Game 3:
For 2… camera just missed it. Nice drive.
Salesianum vs. Imhotep Charter Varsity Mens' Basketball

Attacking the closeout for 2
https://youtu.be/eupgOhqWO7E?t=1983

Steal… not so great dribbling through traffic after.
https://youtu.be/eupgOhqWO7E?t=1998

Block
https://youtu.be/eupgOhqWO7E?t=2114

Lob 2
https://youtu.be/eupgOhqWO7E?t=2444

OOB play back cut for 2
https://youtu.be/eupgOhqWO7E?t=3569

Post up, kick out, offensive board and the 2
https://youtu.be/eupgOhqWO7E?t=4837

Nice little one dribble spin, post up attack thing
https://youtu.be/eupgOhqWO7E?t=5380

Steal
https://youtu.be/eupgOhqWO7E?t=5402

1 block… then the foul on the putback
https://youtu.be/eupgOhqWO7E?t=6448

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Stats from 3 of his games....

13.8 PPG
6.5 RPG
1.2 APG

0.7 TO
1.7 STL
1.7 BLK

47% FG
56% 2FG
18% 3FG
0/0 FT

Overall: Overall: Great athlete, size, and frame. Solid game sense, and isn’t forcing anything. Limited as a passer and 1v1 creator and handling in general outside the open court. Doesn’t attack the rim strong enough or that much at all–hence 0/0 from the FT line in 3 games. More of a 4 than I expected. Strikes me as the type of high-end 5* that disappoints people because he won’t be a star year 1. He’s a hell of a player with high potential and will have an important impact wherever he plays, but I don’t see him averaging 15 a game his freshman year or something.

Offense:
  • Plays like a 4 here more than I expected. Ball skills are lower than I’d expected. Makes me think Bowen and Edwards are being recruited for the same position. I think he plays 4 in college and 3 if he gets to the pros… kind of like Rudy.
  • Not a great passer. Had the one game where he went ballistic passing it, but seems like most of the time he’s just swinging it around the perimeter.
  • Not a good shooter yet but his form is good. Streaky.
  • Really good sense of cutting, when to score, when to swing the ball… I like the game sense.
  • IDK if I’ve ever seen a top-10ish player be as little a part of his team’s offense outside of set plays before. He stands around A LOT.
  • In 2 games he settled too much for the mid-range Kobe stuff. Some of his mid-range shots… are just awful.
  • Open court handle is pretty good for his size. Handle in the half-court is okay, but again… good for being 6’8 or 6’9.
  • NOT a 1v1 creator. He relies on other guys to set him up a lot. But he does have a couple of nice hesitations and such on his crossover and can go to either side. If he keeps working on that it could be a really important piece of his game.
  • Dribbles and finishes with both hands… underrated for a hs prospect. That’s important. So much harder to scheme a guy on D.
  • Needs plays run for him… not a create something out of nothing type.
  • Doesn’t really rely on the jumpstop the way Hurley and co. teach. It would elevate his game to get comfortable with it
Defense:
  • Defensive potential is high. Great length and quickness.
  • Amazing at the front of a press.
  • Team defense seems pretty solid. I don’t recall many positional breakdowns.
  • Gets beat going to the rim too much, but also gets shot over too much for 3s… He isn’t committed to defending one or the other like he needs to be…
  • It’s so hard to read the defense of HS recruits. The energy and effort is just nothing compared to college.
Other:
  • Rebounding is very good when he isn’t wandering on the perimeter. Looks for the box out when he needs to.
  • He is tall, long, and super athletic. Second jump is ridiculously fast. Looks a legit 6’8 or 6’9 with an awesome frame. I can see why NBA teams are already excited about this prospect.
  • Like many hs recruits, his effort isn’t up to par.
  • Doesn’t take many risks on the court. Low assist guy but also low TO. Kind of the opposite of Andre in that way.
  • Seems to have a great motor. Pressed the whole game and didn’t look tired once.
  • Streaky in most every part of the game… has all the pieces, but doesn’t put it all together consistently. Very normal at this stage… Kuminga looked the same way last year and he was a better prospect.

Game 1:

Mid-range post up

Back cut for 2

Inbound cut for 2

Scoring off the dish for 2

Wild sequence here… gets 1 dribble pull up shot blocked, gets the ball back… misses… O board, misses again.. O board again..fianlly makes it… really great effort play all around

Dunk… but the bonehead cameraman missed it

Steal

Game 2:

Block

Rebound and the longggg outlet and assist

Mid-range iso

Embarassing guys with the 1 dribble dunk, lol

Assist

Steal… misses the dunk

Oop! Big one

Too much dribble… but gets the dunk

Textbook back cut

Misses the stupid long 2… but gets the steal and 2 after.

3 ball

Didn’t result in anything but I really like this play

FANTASTIC pass

Mid-range J… much better than some others because he had space and balance instead of forcing.

THAT is a play off the dribble. Good grief. Assist.

Another assist

3 ball

2 blocks in a row

Game 3:
For 2… camera just missed it. Nice drive.

Attacking the closeout for 2

Steal… not so great dribbling through traffic after.

Block

Lob 2

OOB play back cut for 2

Post up, kick out, offensive board and the 2

Nice little one dribble spin, post up attack thing

Steal

1 block… then the foul on the putback

These @husky429 breakdowns are good recruiting mojo

Reaction Score

Not a ton new in there on a decision, but UConn mention and says Kentucky is in a good spot

Reaction Score
Justin Edward’s continues to show why he's one of the top prospects in 2023

In the main event of the night, five-star wing Justin Edwards showed why he is among the top players in the class of 2023. While the rankings have not been updated yet, Edwards has consistently shown this year why he deserves to go up. In last night's main event which hosted head coach Shaka Smart, and assistant coaches from Ohio State and Seton Hall, he showed an all around game and finished with a game high of 29 points. He really utilized his jab step, shot the three, pushed it in transition, and battled on the offensive glass getting scrappy points around the rim. Defensively he is long and athletic which helps him a lot. Edwards is a true wing and really impacted the game on both sides of the ball at a high level. As it comes to recruitment, Edwards has taken an official to Kentucky and unofficals to UConn, Penn State and Maryland. Auburn Tennessee and Miami are also in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom