2023 Recruiting: - Justin Edwards | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Justin Edwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
is there really a 2024 prospect named devin booker? what are the odds of that?
I am bad at stats, so someone else will have to do the calculation, but here are the relevant data:

People in US with first name Devin: 33,715
People in US with last name Booker: 30,799
US population: 328.2 million
Number of high school basketball players: 540,000

Reaction Score
I am bad at stats, so someone else will have to do the calculation, but here are the relevant data:

People in US with first name Devin: 33,715
People in US with last name Booker: 30,799
US population: 328.2 million
Number of high school basketball players: 540,000
Using the average life expectancy of a US male of 78 years you'd expect 432 Devin's to be born per year and 395 Booker's to be born per year. The chance of someone being named Devin Booker in a given year is about 1 per 10 million (.00000096%)

You can also assume there are 4.2M people within each age range, so in a given year about 17M HS age kids so about 3% of HS kids are playing basketball. So the chances of a HS basketball player being named Devin Booker in a given year is about 1 in 3.3 billion.

So the chances of there being 2 Devin Bookers being HS basketball players in 11 years is about 1 in 12 sextillion

Reaction Score
1632417676461.jpeg

Reaction Score
Using the average life expectancy of a US male of 78 years you'd expect 432 Devin's to be born per year and 395 Booker's to be born per year. The chance of someone being named Devin Booker in a given year is about 1 per 10 million (.00000096%)

You can also assume there are 4.2M people within each age range, so in a given year about 17M HS age kids so about 3% of HS kids are playing basketball. So the chances of a HS basketball player being named Devin Booker in a given year is about 1 in 3.3 billion.

So the chances of there being 2 Devin Bookers being HS basketball players in 11 years is about 1 in 12 sextillion
I am not able to check your math, nor do I doubt it. My only comment would be to add that this is essentially the Birthday Paradox (which is not actually a paradox). The BP simply points out that, in a room containing 23 people, there is an approximately 50% that two of the people share a birthday. Most people's gut feeling is that you would need about 183 people in the room to achieve those odds, thus the "paradox."

All this is to say that, while it may seem astonishing that a specific NBA player with a not super common name shares his name with a current high school prospect 10 years his junior, the statistical probability that, at any given time, some NBA player with a rare name shares it with some high school baller is actually quite high. Add onto that the fact that basketball players have demographic and cultural factors that make shared names even more likely, and you find that this scenario is actually downright probable.

Edit: informational link replaced with a better one

Reaction Score

Sounds good, but let's see the calculations.......... :rolleyes:

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score

I'd just like to point out that Devin is a name that has increased in popularity in the US since roughly the 1980s, so you would expect more Devins among those of a younger age than you would among 50+ year olds.

Reaction Score
I'd just like to point out that Devin is a name that has increased in popularity in the US since roughly the 1980s, so you would expect more Devins among those of a younger age than you would among 50+ year olds.
Yeah I thought about that and also there being less people born now compared to the older age groups. But only so far I wanted to go with the math

Reaction Score
Getting this thread back to Justin Edwards :), he's the lefty wearing #3 in this video. He's seen here mostly making jumpers. There's another clip where he shows more ball handling and some nice anticipation on D too. He looks like an excellent wing prospect.

Reaction Score
2023 SF Justin Edwards continues to prove he’s one of the best in the class

Justin Edwards is coming off a monster summer and carried his play over into this early fall camp.

The 6-foot-7 wing has good size, length and athleticism for the position but what continues to stand out about him is his skillset and feel for the game.

It wasn’t Edwards best night shooting the ball but he created off the bounce, got to the rim and scored in transition but what stood out was that he played the game the right way on both ends and passed the ball very well.

Edwards is very well-rounded with a polished skillset. He can create his own shots and the lefty scores from all three levels with a smooth shooting stroke.

He currently ranks as the No. 56 overall prospect in the class but is set to make a massive jump come next rankings update.

Recruitment: Edwards holds offers from UConn, Penn State, Auburn, Syracuse and Virginia amongst others and is starting to receive interest from Kentucky.

Reaction Score
I am not able to check your math, nor do I doubt it. My only comment would be to add that this is essentially the Birthday Paradox (which is not actually a paradox). The BP simply points out that, in a room containing 23 people, there is an approximately 50% that two of the people share a birthday. Most people's gut feeling is that you would need about 183 people in the room to achieve those odds, thus the "paradox."

All this is to say that, while it may seem astonishing that a specific NBA player with a not super common name shares his name with a current high school prospect 10 years his junior, the statistical probability that, at any given time, some NBA player with a rare name shares it with some high school baller is actually quite high. Add onto that the fact that basketball players have demographic and cultural factors that make shared names even more likely, and you find that this scenario is actually downright probable.

Edit: informational link replaced with a better one
That is an interesting paradox. Thanks for sharing.
For the stay on topic crowd- Edwards is a stud. He passed Chief’s eye test big time this summer. Danny is all “in” on him.
Auburn and LSU are targeting too - so this could escalate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Could be Hurleys first top ten recruit. This quote should be talked about more.
Wow. I knew we’d been on him awhile but this quote makes me think we have a better shot than I realized. Seems like we feel good about GG and TBB, and we definitely need a point guard. But this is probably a 4/5 man class so Edwards seems like the top target outside of the aforementioned guys.

Reaction Score
I read that quote as he's closest to Kimani of the coaches on our staff. It isn't clear he's talking about ANY coach.

Reaction Score
And Calhoun didn't his first few years either. Give it some time.

Maybe you havent noticed, things are a little different since Calhoun coached here.

Also, I feel like its either TBB or this kid. No way we would take both, right?

Reaction Score
Maybe you havent noticed, things are a little different since Calhoun coached here.

Also, I feel like its either TBB or this kid. No way we would take both, right?
Things are always different when there are so many years between these periods. There is some better today and some worse. But nothing bad enough that precludes getting top talent.

Yeah don't see how they take all 3 of TBB, Edwards and Butzelis. Probably 1 spot there. Let's just hope they get 1.

Reaction Score
Things are always different when there are so many years between these periods. There is some better today and some worse. But nothing bad enough that precludes getting top talent.

Yeah don't see how they take all 3 of TBB, Edwards and Butzelis. Probably 1 spot there. Let's just hope they get 1.
TBB and Butzelis seem more like 3/4's and Edwards seems more like a 2/3. I ultimately think we'll end up with TBB and fall off for Butzelis. Getting TBB shouldn't affect Edwards. I think Griffiths and Edwards overlap more, but Edwards is probably too good to stop recruiting if we get Griffiths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom