Just what the doctor ordered | The Boneyard

Just what the doctor ordered

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Not only a win, but a win in a tough conference game where we had to score on the final possession to keep the game alive.

It is well documented on here that this team has not figured out how to close out close games (although they did get it done vs Auburn and VCU despite their best efforts to give them away).

This time, they executed (with some luck & help from St. Johns).

When Sanogo went to the line they showed the bench and Polley and Hawkins couldn't watch. They both looked ready to cry. You can tell that each of these guys want to win and know that they have consistently come up short. It has to have weighed on them. Especially with such a tough competitor of a coach that Hurley is.

They came out in OT and blew St. John's wheels off with an 11-0 run (although they did let them hang around).

Hopefully that is the confidence boost every one of them needed to know they can get it done going forward. Could be the moment we all look back to the first week of April and say "wow, what a great break on that final possession. That changed the season."

2-2 with our 4 easiest conference games coming up looks a lot better than 1-3 and sitting in last place. 4 great opportunities to build on that confidence and blow some team's wheels off ahead of a tough & packed February slate.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'When Sanogo went to the line they showed the bench and Polley and Hawkins couldn't watch. They both looked ready to cry.'

sum of us valued that quite differently. hawk gets a bit of a pass, cuz he's new to this. only a bit tho, cuz he is a grown man too.

Reaction Score
We were up double digits with around six minutes to go. And turned it into a one point deficit with 4 second to go. Hard to see how that boosts confidence. But.... I hope you are right.
We’ll We Lost To St. John’s Last Year At Home And Now In 2022 We Beat St John’s In A Game That Sort Of Mirrored That Previous Game And Winning Is Very Awesome Always So We Will Hopefully Keep Winning For All Of This Month And Maybe Some Games In February!

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
We’ll We Lost To St. John’s Last Year At Home And Now In 2022 We Beat St John’s In A Game That Sort Of Mirrored That Previous Game And Winning Is Very Awesome Always So We Will Hopefully Keep Winning For All Of This Month And Maybe Some Games In February!
Christian Vital? Is that you??

Reaction Score
'When Sanogo went to the line they showed the bench and Polley and Hawkins couldn't watch. They both looked ready to cry.'

sum of us valued that quite differently. hawk gets a bit of a pass, cuz he's new to this. only a bit tho, cuz he is a grown man too.

Did Hurley slap them right after that?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
We were up double digits with around six minutes to go. And turned it into a one point deficit with 4 second to go. Hard to see how that boosts confidence. But.... I hope you are right.
We can all either choose to be positive or negative. The choice is yours my man! At the end of the day we got a much needed win.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We can all either choose to be positive or negative. The choice is yours my man! At the end of the day we got a much needed win.
You can choose to admit that St. John’s is bad and we shouldn’t have gone into overtime. We should’ve won by double digits in regular time but again we gave up a lead in regulation

Reaction Score
It's also has been a pattern. If this team is going to take the next step than they need to learn to finish teams off. They can't get up 10 and start getting careless with the ball and Hurley can't put in a lineup that is stunted on offense.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You forgot to blame Gaffney.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You can choose to admit that St. John’s is bad and we shouldn’t have gone into overtime. We should’ve won by double digits in regular time but again we gave up a lead in regulation
St John’s is bad, but we’re only in year 4 of a complete rebuild playing in a conference that is projected to have 7/11 teams make the tournament. When you’re trying to build a winning culture, closing out a game script you’ve lost 4 times already this year is a step in the right direction.

Reaction Score
You forgot to blame Gaffney.

I have stuck up more for Gaffney than most on this board. I constantly reference his exellenent Maryland game performance. But reading comprehension has never been your strong suit.

Reaction Score
St John’s is bad, but we’re only in year 4 of a complete rebuild playing in a conference that is projected to have 7/11 teams make the tournament. When you’re trying to build a winning culture, closing out a game script you’ve lost 4 times already this year is a step in the right direction.
Everything is relative, but let's show some respect: St John's is not "bad". Perhaps not a tournament team, but not bad a la Georgia or Georgetown this year.

Reaction Score
We got a win. I’ll give you that. But we did not close anything out. We limped to the finish line and got a couple lucky calls.

The disturbing pattern has not changed one iota. If anything it was actually worse given the level of competition and the fact that it was at home. Nothing I saw yesterday gives me any more confidence that we aren’t gonna see the same bad ending numerous more times this year.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
We were up 11 at least 2 two times, maybe three. Then SH started with daggers, early daggers. The 11 point lead dissolved rather quickly. There were a few you had to think how he shot that. This has been a UConn weakness for some years now. Always the three pointer. Then teams offense is consistently attacking the basket. A whistle every time. I am wondering why we can't do that with some success.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have stuck up more for Gaffney than most on this board. I constantly reference his exellenent Maryland game performance. But reading comprehension has never been your strong suit.
I read pretty well. Detecting thread bumps is another matter.

The Gaffney comment was a general tongue in cheek reply based on 95% of the board wanting him to transfer to Bowdoin. I will try and add [TIC] in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom