Just thinking like a parent here | The Boneyard

Just thinking like a parent here

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
As game time approached SNY played a little teaser/promo. With a shot of Caroline in action, the promo went something like " Coming up Caroline Ducharme and the UConn Huskies take on the Xavier Musketeers at the XL Center in Hartford".

So I thought, who on God's earth would have thought that CD would be getting in a promo with star billing for the UConn Huskies especially midway though her Freshman year. This summer all the talk was about Azzi and (of course) Paige. People wondered how much play time there would be for her this year. Oh sure there have been lots of extenuating circumstances, but this kid came through when the Huskies needed her to do it. If I'm her parents, I'd be way beyond proud.

Reaction Score
If the team had stayed away from injuries, her journey to the status she enjoys today would have been much slower. She was thrown into fray way ahead of what anyone expected and she has earned all the plaudits. You just never know if they can swim until you throw them into the deep water. CD can swim.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
How msny Big East Freshman of the week does Caroline have? I think she has a way to go to catch the freshman for DePaul for BEFOY.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Since she became a starter, isn't Caroline the leading scorer?
Yes, she's the overall leading scorer since the UCLA game. Although she did not start in the GA Tech game, she did play 29 minutes and scored 2 points. But we've all put that game out of our collective minds, so it does not count. CW is a close 2nd place.

Game - Points
===========
UCLA 14
Louisville 24
Creighton 17
Butler 18
Xavier 20

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
How many Big East Freshman of the week does Caroline have? I think she has a way to go to catch the freshman for DePaul for BEFORE.
You're referring to Aneesah Morrow a 6'1" freshman from Chicago. Averaging 20.3 ppg and 12.8 RPG for the Blue Demons. She already has 9 double doubles this year. She's a smaller version of Aliyah Boston. In Morrow’s first collegiate game, she scored 31 points – the most by a player in their debut under Bruno. In Doug Bruno’s 36 years coaching DePaul, he’s never had a freshman quite like Morrow.

“We’ve had some very good freshmen here, but I don’t think anyone has made this kind of national impact this quickly.” In Morrow’s first collegiate game, she scored 31 points – the most by a player in their debut under Bruno. “I was shocked,” noted Morrow. “I went and told my mother, ‘Oh my god! Did you hear that?’ I was really surprised.” The 6-1 forward does more than score – she’s averaging better than 11 rebounds per game, grabbing 19 against Xavier. It’s added up to ten Big East freshmen of the week honors, a Big East player of the week award and a National freshman of the week accolade.

Our Dec 31 game that was postponed will be made up at a later date. We are scheduled to play them Feb 11. Should be interesting. As of today, DePaul is 13-4, 5-1 in 3rd place in the conference standings.

i

High School: Led Simeon to a 35-2 record and the girls basketball program’s first state championship (Class 3A) in 2020… averaged 28.4 points, 14.3 rebounds, 4.6 assists and nearly three steals a game last season… All-State First Team selection by the Associated Press, Champaign News-Gazette and the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association (IBCA)… after eclipsing the 1,000-point career mark as a junior, MaxPreps ranked her as the No. 1 recruit in the state and No. 20 in the nation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since she became a starter, isn't Caroline the leading scorer?
I think she's averaging about ten points per game for the season but closer to 18 since she's been starting........not too many freshmen collect those kinds of numbers at UConn........

Reaction Score
You're referring to Aneesah Morrow a 6'1" freshman from Chicago. Averaging 20.3 ppg and 12.8 RPG for the Blue Demons. She already has 9 double doubles this year, and has been recognized as the BIG East freshman of the week 10 times. She's a smaller version of Aliyah Boston.

i

High School: Led Simeon to a 35-2 record and the girls basketball program’s first state championship (Class 3A) in 2020… averaged 28.4 points, 14.3 rebounds, 4.6 assists and nearly three steals a game last season… All-State First Team selection by the Associated Press, Champaign News-Gazette and the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association (IBCA)… after eclipsing the 1,000-point career mark as a junior, MaxPreps ranked her as the No. 1 recruit in the state and No. 20 in the nation.
I'm glad she stayed home to play ball..........

Reaction Score
To me, CD is so Bill Bradley when he played for the Knicks. Just love her well rounded game!
Dollar Bill couldn’t rebound like she can. Otherwise, spot on.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She is from Mass. All due respect to Bradley but the women is definitely a John Havlicek clone. Nothing too fancy but goes 100% always and is clutch. A silent assassin.
That is the analogy Geno made in saying the press has anointed her as John Havlicek. He than quipped ge saw it in her offensive foul bull rush.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Caroline should be an example to the coaching staff to get out of the rigid thinking about starter seniority.
Yeah but Williams, ONO, Bueckers, Westbrook and ultimately maybe Fudd wouldn’t have been an obvious mistake. Muhl a better case for not getting as many minutes. And last year Edwards was the freshman people wanted more of but so far Dorka has eaten a lot of her time. Short story, UConn has a bunch of talented players but Ducharme had the waters part for her and to her credit has taken full advantage. When Paige returns the starting lineup will have some interesting choices and if Fudd is fully recovered and is what she was touted to be the issue will become distribution of minutes.

Reaction Score
AZ is not yet a proven quantity at the college level; but CD is. I would not expect Geno to just yank CD to let AZ start!

Reaction Score
She is from Mass. All due respect to Bradley but the women is definitely a John Havlicek clone. Nothing too fancy but goes 100% always and is clutch. A silent assassin.
Loved Bradley, loved that whole Knick team is my favorite of all time, any sport. But Havlicek is the comparison I would have to go with.

Reaction Score
How cool for Caroline to get any of those comparisons. Hearkening back to another I read here a few days ago, I think Dave DeBusschere might be an even more apt comparison for style of play... another of your Knicks, Littlemin. I think she needs to show a bit more of Paige's passing acumen before I'd go to Bird as the best comparison. Whichever direction we go, they'd all be complimentary comparisons for Caroline. Here's hoping she can keep it going.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
AZ is not yet a proven quantity at the college level; but CD is. I would not expect Geno to just yank CD to let AZ start!
Are you referring to Azzi Fudd? I am not sure many people here on the BY expect Azzi to get back into game shape and immediately being plugged into the starting lineup. How many games did she start before her current injury? (I am not suggesting that you are posting this.) I would think that Caroline is pretty safe in her starting five position at least until Paige is back 100% and then the multiple "who will be the starters" threads will take over. But my hope is as long as there is only 1 big starting, Caroline will be starting. If there are 2 bigs starting, it will be the choice between Caroline and Christyn, IMO.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
She seems to have Havlicek's (commensurate) lung capacity. She rarely even gets pink in the face.

Reaction Score
Depauls' Morrow is a solid player but head to head, I'd take Caroline. Depaul depends on Morrow as much as we depended on Paige. Put Caroline on that team and start her from day one and she'd put up tremendous numbers also because the team would revolve around her. I think we beat Depaul by 15 20 when we play them. Nothing against Morrow as she clearly is a great player. She would start for us as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom