OT: - July is a Great Month | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: July is a Great Month

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Of great significance:
My 80th on July 14th.
What could be greater than that? :)

Bastille Day with blueberry syrup. Congrats, Maestro, and a belated Happy 80th!

Reaction Score
The ones I would add would be National Soulvaki Day, and National Pimento Cheese Day. Though Im not sure that pimento cheese is an item that is enjoyed outside the south. I could be wrong though.
As a kid in Oklahoma we used to love celery sticks filled with pimento cheese - yum!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I love pimento cheese.

I assume you live in the Northeast. Do you make the pimento cheese yourself? Or do they sell it in stores up there? This is the brand I love Palmetto Cheese--The Pimento Cheese with Soul And looking at the site, I just discovered that they sell Pimento Cheese with BACON..... BACON !!!

lakers.gif

Lawd help me when I get a hold of this product :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Reaction Score
I assume you live in the Northeast. Do you make the pimento cheese yourself? Or do they sell it in stores up there? This is the brand I love Palmetto Cheese--The Pimento Cheese with Soul And looking at the site, I just discovered that they sell Pimento Cheese with BACON..... BACON !!!

View attachment 45229

Lawd help me when I get a hold of this product :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
Hmmm... I thought all pimento cheese came in these little jars. You pry the lid off with a bottle opener and you have a miniature jelly glass. We called them orange juice glasses.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hmmm... I thought all pimento cheese came in these little jars. You pry the lid off with a bottle opener and you have a miniature jelly glass. We called them orange juice glasses.

View attachment 45230
:p

Ive never seen pimento cheese in a jar :eek::eek::eek::eek: My goodness. :eek::eek::eek: Its always sold here in plastic tubs like this..... Stan's is made here in NC... about 30 minutes away.... it might be the most popular kind in NC. Its what i used to eat growing up... that or Ruth's... which is made in Charlotte. There are many different kinds to choose from here in NC. I had no idea that Kraft made pimento cheese.... Im sure no one here in NC or SC would buy that stuff.. :p

stans.jpg

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

View attachment 45230
Thanks for the memory. My mom enjoyed Pimento Cheese and when we moved to Arizona - her at 91 - I had to find out where they were in Frys. We stopped getting them when she was no longer able to feed herself, but a great memory. Had she not died a few years ago, she would have been 100 this year.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That reminds me very little of the time I was in Chicago... No, I wasn't there to visit
Orangutan, or to hear Fritz Reiner conduct the Chicago Symphony. The cause of the visit was far more prosaic. I found myself inexplicably in the logistics software trade, and there was a trade show on the Navy Pier. Never did quite understand the idea of a landlocked state having a Navy, but Paraguay does, so why not Illinois? But, I digress.

Each morning, myself and dozens of other equally bored business types spilled out of the Hyatt, and boarded a trackless trolley sort of conveyance that took us to the convention site. The driver/conductor was a college kid who regaled us with local history as we careened about the Loop at the pace of a geriatric snail.

"See that building over there?", he intoned into the microphone, pointing to one of the many grey, stolid six storey edifaces that lined our route. I yearned for coffee and a Danish. "That's where Velveeta™ was invented." I perked up my ears. Memories of childhood mac and cheese (or some cheese-like substance) inundated my yearning for caffeine.

He continued, "That was a Kraft laboratory and they were trying to invent a milk-based adhesive. One day a sample of an experiment spilled onto a lab table. A research scientist got some on his finger, tasted the glop, and Voilà! A culinary marvel!"

I have no idea if the story was true*, but it's a fun memory of a day in July, long away and far ago. :cool:

*According to Wikipedia, the story told by the driver is pure BS, just like most of what we read on this steam-powered Internet thingy.

View attachment 44466
I LOVE (real) mac and cheese (I like cheese potatoes more), and take great pride in finding the sharpest unadulterated cheddar to make the sauce with. My now 20-year-old daughter won't touch the stuff. If I make it, I either need to make her Kraft mac&cheese or fries or something. There's not another member of my extended family who doesn't like real mac and cheese.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Advance warning, tomorrow is National Fried Chicken Day...... not sure if I can participate this year, as tomorrow is leg day in the gym :( Wouldn't look too good to spend an hour in the gym and head straight to pick up a 3 piece box of fried chicken right afterwards.

@RockyMTblue2 I know you love you some KFC Extra Crispy @Plebe I know there is someplace nearby that serves some good ol southern fried chicken. I know there are some other fried chicken lovers out there @JordyG

giphy.gif

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
July is certainly one of my twelve favorite months, despite the 18th being the day that Petrach died in fourteen ninety something, and the day the Spanish Civil War began.

July will mark yet another year since I was born, yet I continue on my inexorable path of entropy. I woke up on the right side of the grass this morning, confident that Geno and CD are running things rather well. Yes, July is a wonderful month!
I must agree that the Spanish Civil War gives the 18th a poor legacy. And the passing of Petrarch, with the whole humanism thing and the Renaissance, is another (pardon the pun) nail in the coffin. But I submit that July 18, 1976 offers more than a little redemption (again maintaining the death oeuvre) in that Nadia Comaneci scored her perfect 10 that day. I love me some humanism, though that has been greatly challenged lately. Especially the thing with people are inherently good being pushed beyond its stress limits. But I contend that perfect is pretty darn impressive and sorry, not sorry, but Petrarch loses that contest. ;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
@RockyMTblue2 I know you love you some KFC Extra Crispy @Plebe I know there is someplace nearby that serves some good ol southern fried chicken. I know there are some other fried chicken lovers out there @JordyG
Oh man, SO MANY good fried chicken purveyors here in Houston. This article gives a pretty good list:

Frenchy's is a local legend. I can also vouch for Esther's, Lucille's, La Lucha, and Max's Dive Bar. I just ate at the recently opened Mico's a couple weeks ago before a Dynamo game. Unbelievably juicy chicken, but don't order the "medium" heat unless you can truly handle plenty of heat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
among the notables....

1) National Ice Cream Month and National Hot Dog Month
2) Fourth of July
3) National Fried Chicken Day (6th) :)
4) National French Fry Day (13th)
5) National Hot Dog Day (17th)
6) National Cheesecake Day (30th)

These are the one's marked on my calendar .... for a complete list July Food Holidays

i got some grief a few weeks ago for being slack on my duties.... so plenty of heads up this month

Sugar, salt & saturated fat. Sponsored by the American Association of Cardiologists. :rolleyes: Call it job insurance.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Today, July 13 , is celebrated as National French Fries day. Remember when the restaurant in North Carolina insisted that the name be changed to 'freedom fries'? Then a representative from Ohio (betcha can't guess which party) actually had the menu changed in the U S Capitol lunch room. Of course like many insane patriots he was forced to resign due to some scandal. I wonder if this means that @triaddukefan , proud citizen of the Tar Heel State, cannot celebrate with the rest of us.. Anyway we are about to consume our French fries, wbtw were invented in Belgium, and I can hardly wait.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom