Journal Inquirer article: A 2-for-1 deal at UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Journal Inquirer article: A 2-for-1 deal at UConn

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Whaley and Carlton really shouldn't be on the court together. Unless there's drastic improvement from Carlton, it's going to be hard for him to get a ton of minutes.

I'm not convinced Whaley/Carlton are the 4/5 combo at the end of the season but I can see them starting it. Team needs some size and beef and those two are the surest bets under the basket right now.

I am curious to see what a slimmed down Josh can do. I also expect Whaley to have a nice face up game from 15'.

Reaction Score
I’m not a huge fan of two PG’s
It worked in 1999. But it failed at other times . That’s not to say situationally It can’t work, In 2011 Calhoun would move Kemba there but that was to rest him without taking him off the floor. His mere presence was a confidence builder for that very young team.
Call me Old fashioned but give me a lights out shooter at the 2. Paired with a guy who can get everyone else good shoots, penetrate, finish, knock down an occasional three keeping the D honest.
I’d love to see Bouknight at the two
that opens up things for a crowed wing. I have the feeling he will shoot the three in 40% area. These are fun problems to have contrasted with some undermanned teams of the recent past.
Worked in 1990 with Smitty and George. Worked in 94 and 95 with KO and Doron. Worked in 99 with Ricky and Khalid. Worked in 02, 03 and 04 with Taliek and Ben. Worked in 11 with Kemba and Shabazz. Worked in 14 with Shabazz and Boatright.
In 06 there was a big problem with Williams and Rashard in the backcourt together. Rashard could shoot but did not have point guard skills.
Obviously I am a big fan of both guards having the point guard mentality. I think Cole and Gaffney should both start.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Whaley and Carlton really shouldn't be on the court together. Unless there's drastic improvement from Carlton, it's going to be hard for him to get a ton of minutes.

I'm confident Whaley can contribute facing up outside paint.

Not quite a 4 out, 1 in. More like a 3.5 out, 1.5 in offense.

pj

Reaction Score
To start the season:
1,2,3: Cole plus Bouk plus either Gaffney or Tyrese Martin
4: Polley or Springs
5: Whaley or Sanogo

Later on, I could see Andre Jackson or Akok claiming a spot.

To me, Cole and Bouk are the only sure things. Whaley is almost sure to start the season, though Sanogo has more upside and may take over at some point.

Reaction Score
Worked in 1990 with Smitty and George. Worked in 94 and 95 with KO and Doron. Worked in 99 with Ricky and Khalid. Worked in 02, 03 and 04 with Taliek and Ben. Worked in 11 with Kemba and Shabazz. Worked in 14 with Shabazz and Boatright.
In 06 there was a big problem with Williams and Rashard in the backcourt together. Rashard could shoot but did not have point guard skills.
Obviously I am a big fan of both guards having the point guard mentality. I think Cole and Gaffney should both start.
I agree. But who's Rashard?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
My guess is Cole-Bouk-Polley-Whaley-Sanogo

Low key think there's a high chance Adams acts as a place holder in the third guard spot until Andre or Polley distinguishs themselves off the bench.

My guess for the tournament would be Gaff-Bouk-Andre-Whaley-Sanogo with maybe Polley or Andre moving to the 4 if we need both of them on the floor.

Reaction Score
Please explain

The only way it does work is if Gaff shoots twice as good as last year. And depends on the other teams guards. We are so unsure about the guards on the defensive end until we see some games. Rumor is Cole isn't as fast on D as our 2 guys last year but makes up for it in toughness and smarts. Gaff improved as the year went on but was taken off the dribble by guards with quick first steps often. Good news is we may have some bigs to make up for our deficiencies on D but going from CV and AG on that end will be noticeable. Tyler will need to be healthy and defending well we know Whaley will defend and match up. Josh with quicker feet will be interesting so time will tell. Bouk did get better also and can be a solid defender, great length and anticipation. Sometimes likes to make plays off the ball and loses his guy, like CV because they're both good at reading the lanes, but overall will be a solid defender. I think Andre, Brendan and Sanogo will be quick off the bench but believe Gaff will be part of that next guy in group not a starter.

Its funny we have Brendan Adams locked in as a bench guy but he would love to be in the first 5. I like his energy off the bench and he defends hard, never know on him depending on what DH is looking for in the first 5. Options options options!!

Reaction Score
I do have faith and I am sure at the very least he will be a very good 4 year piece for us. But I do need to see more in regards to shooting, guarding quick PGs and running the offense against quicker defenders. He was good, solid but the guy I saw last year only has potential to be a starting guard for us especially in the Big East now. But he sure looks and sounds like he’s ready to improve.
Vital was such a spotlight and dominating player, especially when he had the ball. Gaffney also deferred to AG, and then the situation became awkward, especially for a freshman.

With both gone I see Gaffney having the opportunity to shine and prove D1 worthiness. As long as he shows he belongs (think Taliek) is great for me.

Reaction Score
Vital was such a spotlight and dominating player, especially when he had the ball. Gaffney also deferred to AG, and then the situation became awkward, especially for a freshman.

With both gone I see Gaffney having the opportunity to shine and prove D1 worthiness. As long as he shows he belongs (think Taliek) is great for me.

D1 worthy I have no doubt. Just need to see more that’s all I hope everyone is correct. He’s a piece no matter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’m not a huge fan of two PG’s
It worked in 1999. But it failed at other times .
It worked in 2011 and 2014.

Here's some more quotes from Cole, "Me and Jalen together, that would be an amazing thing,” Cole said. “We’re both two playmakers. We’re both unselfish. We like to play with our teammates. He played amazing last year, especially down the stretch. He’s a very smart ballhandler. He has it all.

Reaction Score
A lineup with a PG who can shoot enough to keep them honest but sees the court and is a top notch passer.
Teamed with guys at the 2,3,4 who can shoot the three around 40%
and I’m salivating. I could play the 5 in that lineup (H ) because nobody would be guarding me.

Reaction Score
To start the season:
1,2,3: Cole plus Bouk plus either Gaffney or Tyrese Martin
4: Polley or Springs
5: Whaley or Sanogo

Later on, I could see Andre Jackson or Akok claiming a spot.

To me, Cole and Bouk are the only sure things. Whaley is almost sure to start the season, though Sanogo has more upside and may take over at some point.
Seems like not enough rebounding with that lineup if Polley is the “4”

pj

Reaction Score
Seems like not enough rebounding with that lineup if Polley is the “4”

If he doesn't rebound he doesn't play.

But in his last game he had 11 rebounds, so he may be able to compete.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
If he doesn't rebound he doesn't play.

But in his last game he had 11 rebounds, so he may be able to compete.
I don't believe that one game against Tulane negates the larger sample size of the rest of his career that demonstrates his lack of rebounding prowess. Hopefully I'm wrong and he can rip down boards, would only help us out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom