Josh Carlton to Houston | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton to Houston

Reaction Score
Exceptional move for Josh, he just needs minutes. I think he will thrive in Houston playing 15-20 minutes a game, giving Houston a tough post presence. I agree with @August_West , I bet he has a real good year, and I'll definitely keep an eye on him.

Thanks Josh!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He averaged 3 fouls in 20 minutes as a junior and a senior. Very hard to get minutes if he keeps up that foul rate—which was worse this year.

Per 40 minutes, he averaged

Fouls per minute.
Hurley had him high hedging like Whaley. Thats where he picked up fouls. Kelvin doesn’t run that D. Sanogo got burned in high hedge too. I like that D a ton with Whaley type playing it. Most 5’s are exposed though.

Reaction Score
Hurley had him high hedging like Whaley. Thats where he picked up fouls. Kelvin doesn’t run that D. Sanogo got burned in high hedge too. I like that D a ton with Whaley type playing it. Most 5’s are exposed though.
He had a ton of fouls a minute under KO. In fact had fewer under Hurley the first two years. I'm willing to say that the high number of fouls may be due to his inconsistent minutes.

Reaction Score
Hope he thrives and gets the skill building he needs. Not sure you can fix a 5 inch vertical, though.

Reaction Score
He averaged 3 fouls in 20 minutes as a junior and a senior. Very hard to get minutes if he keeps up that foul rate—which was worse this year.

Fouls per minute.
Yes, good point. However, Kelvin Sampson wants to coach Josh, and I'm quite sure he knows Josh's strengths and weaknesses. What I'm getting at is that Sampson is going to use Josh differently than Hurley did. All that perimeter hedging was tough on Josh; I think Josh is in a spot where he could use some different coaching, and Sampson will put him in a position to succeed. We'll see, I think he will do well. Offensively his post moves were looking quicker overall, but Hurley wasn't using him.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He had a ton of fouls a minute under KO. In fact had fewer under Hurley the first two years. I'm willing to say that the high number of fouls may be due to his inconsistent minutes.
he was a freshman under KO - freshmen tend to foul more
All big guys foul more under DH's defense that is full of head scratching switches 30 feet from the hoop

Reaction Score
he was a freshman under KO - freshmen tend to foul more
All big guys foul more under DH's defense that is full of head scratching switches 30 feet from the hoop
I think that’s one of the adjustments moving from URI, which realistically won’t get good Big men, to UConn, where you can get good Bigs. Danny’s defensive scheme is one of a mid major not a top team with talented interior Bigs. I hope he makes that adjustment very soon.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think that’s one of the adjustments moving from URI, which realistically won’t get good Big men, to UConn, where you can get good Bigs. Danny’s defensive scheme is one of a mid major not a top team with talented interior Bigs. I hope he makes that adjustment very soon.
Don't be shy. Once you're fully vaccinated, take him to lunch.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Had my first shot today (Pfizer). Second one on 4/27.
Proud Of You Pride GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
Watch him average a double double.

Save this post.
He. has averaged a double double per 40 minutes his last 3 years
His excessive fouling has limited his minutes
5 ‘s are seldom going to play much more than 20 minutes . That’s why this metric is important and having 2 equal fiv s is important.
It gets skewed in years like last year we’re his minutes we’re insignificant. But are huge where he is playing half the game.
Minutes It’s also a reason why guards are among rebound leaders , Getting 6 a game in 32 minutes vs 6 a game in 20 is an unfair comparison.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Good place for him. He is AAC talent and was recruited as an AAC players.

LOL AAC talent made FF while a 10 seed crap team bounced us around like a rag doll in first round. I guess I'll take AAC talent.

Further food for thought:

Kelvin Sampson is not an idiot.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Fouls per minute.

Why don't you play as the only big on the court with 4 guards of varying defensive abilities that are aggressively defending the 3 point line, and see how many fouls you pick up?

Reaction Score
Why don't you play as the only big on the court with 4 guards of varying defensive abilities that are aggressively defending the 3 point line, and see how many fouls you pick up?
I like Josh but he also fouled like crazy playing under Ollie's system when we were barely playing defense anymore. He had 4 years to figure out how to cut down on stupid reach-ins and offensive fouls where he just ran people over. He never figured it out but obviously is a tremendous offensive rebounder. I hope he plays well and gets big minutes at Houston but Adama is a major upgrade even as a freshman and literally everyone but you can see it

Reaction Score
I know Houston’s loves to attack offensive rebounds but other than that I don’t see the fit with Carlton. They seem to have slightly undersized but super athletic bigs. Sampson knows what he’s doing but I just don’t see it as a natural fit for their current style of play.

Reaction Score
Good place for him. He is AAC talent and was recruited as an AAC players.

He goes to a Final Four team and that's your take? Wow.

Josh obviously has Final Four talent. UConn, on the other hand, lived as a middle of the pack team during their stay in the American. I'm a UConn fan and alum. But the facts are the facts. The Big East had nothing to be arrogant about this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like Josh and supported him when many didn't. I hope he has a good year in Houston but I don't think Carlton was coached incorrectly. He is a good rebounder but lacked other skills. I don't think the majority of his fouls were up top from hedging although he did commit some there. Most were either defending the post, setting a screen, or over the back while rebounding. Would it surprise me if Carlton produces 8 -10 ppg and 7-8 rpg no but he wouldn't see the minutes here. Sanogo needs min 25 if he stay out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I know Houston’s loves to attack offensive rebounds but other than that I don’t see the fit with Carlton. They seem to have slightly undersized but super athletic bigs. Sampson knows what he’s doing but I just don’t see it as a natural fit for their current style of play.
Agreed. It's a 1-year bandaid to a roster with a lot of turnover (Gorham, Gresham, and White all seniors this year, not sure who if any come back). Sampson tends to prefer a more mobile big for defense.

Reaction Score
It was a no brainer for Sampson to take Carlton. Maybe he can improve his game and he has good upside. At worst, he is a quality big off the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom