Josh Carlton to Houston | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton to Houston

Reaction Score
Oh, really? Good for him hope he's a difference maker for the program and that he improves under a different system

Reaction Score
I guess he missed visiting Tulsa & Tulane. I'm going to be interested if he is used differently and how that works for him if he is used differently. Will he be on the court when other teams go smaller? Will he need to cover the perimeter or will a defensive scheme not call on him to do that? Will he be actively used hedging and recovering, or stay in the post? Will the ball go thru him to pass from the post? (I think that is something he can do better than most think). Is he penciled in for big minutes or just with a role. Hurley mentioned some of the reason he took the job at UConn because it was a place that could recruit better bigs than URI, but I don't think his system takes best advantage of true 5's. I'm betting Josh might have a surprisingly productive year if he is used playing to his strengths.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Congrats to Josh! I hope this works out great for him. The only downside that I can see is that I will have rooting interest in Houston's success.

Reaction Score
Kelvin Sampson is pretty astute regarding players' potential.
Hopefully Josh will fit with Sampson's plans for him and has a great year.

Reaction Score
Kelvin Sampson is pretty astute regarding players' potential.
Hopefully Josh will fit with Sampson's plans for him and has a great year.
He'll definitely fit in with their offensive rebounding focus. The Houston bigs really don't do much else on offense, so some of his other downsides won't come into play too much, so I'd say it's a good fit. The defensive end will be a bit more of a struggle for him adjusting to a new system, but Sampson is a defensive teaching master, so it could certainly work out.

Reaction Score
Good for Josh. Hope it works out for him. I still think he was better than a lot of people on here and deserving of a little more PT.

But he didn't let it get him down and busted his a** when he did get in. He accepted his role and was a great teammate. Hopefully he makes it to the S16 at least next year. (hopefully we make it farther tho).

Reaction Score
Not sure what kind of playing time he’s gonna get but it’s probably the best choice of the other schools he picked from just based on where UH basketball is now.

Best of luck, Jeff! (a.k.a Josh) ;)

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Maybe Bugsy's name is Jeff? There is a comma.

I hope Josh does well and gets some consistent playing time. He deserves it and I still think he's an impact player in the right system.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I’ve always thought josh was a tiny bit under sold . But not through hurleys fault, and not from josh’s own either. Just a series of “almosts” and bad fits. Josh had a real decent soph season. Started every game. Promising enough that he was going to featured his junior year. So they bulked him up in off season. In hindsight That was the worst thing you could do to him. He was never quick , and that slowed him down even more. He still started every game. But his effectiveness, especially defensively, when he was slower and bulked up allowed Whaley to emerge who was just a better fit for the way Dan likes to play D . So josh saw a decline in minutes and took it like a man.
The kid through everything could always rebound, really well ( look at his per 40 averages). He can have the yips around the hoop often, but I expect him to have a very good year on Houston cleaning glass on both ends in Sampson’s system ( say 9 and 9, which means he’s a breath from having a nice double double average) .

I like this move for him. Best for all involved

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If JC gets appreciable playing time I would not doubt that he will replicate the sophomore Josh
Sampson knows how to develop players and fits his guys into a specific system where they produce and love playing there or they leave and he just retools
Too bad Sampson decided to do some questionable things earlier in his career because he is definitely one of the best coaches out there.
Good Luck Josh - can't wait to see you next year - Houston will get more coverage

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ends my dream of Josh seriously dating Olivia Nelson-Ododa. They could get together and miss layups, get married and have kids who miss layups, etc., etc. :)
Awkward Erm GIF by Dyo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom