John Walters: Geno marches toward coaching immortality | The Boneyard

John Walters: Geno marches toward coaching immortality

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
In the next week, Connecticut will attempt to cap off its fifth unbeaten season and (yawn) win a record-setting ninth Division I NCAA women’s basketball championship under Auriemma. This season, no opponent has come within 11 points of the 39–0 (ho hum) Huskies. Eleven is also the sum total of defeats UConn has been dealt in the past four years. In the past 20 seasons, Geno’s teams have won 92.9 percent (Zzzzzzz) of their games (715–55).

LINK

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Ahhh... I would like to thank Mr Walters for taking the time, to try to clear up Geno's earlier comments, regarding our practice team... Nevertheless, I understand Notre Dame remains pretty shook up.

If you are Geno Auriemma, you must manufacture adversity for your Huskies and yourself since opponents so rarely provide it. “I remember we were [scrimmaging] one time, and it was five of our [starters] against seven of them,” says Geno. “So there’s 12 people on the floor... And then a week later it was five against eight, and it was like Jesus, Mary and Joseph… —to be clear, these were not the names of the three additional players– “Every once in a while, the five would get a couple of stops, and they would feel unbelievably good about that.
“Then the following week I went five against six,” Geno says, “and my starters looked at me like, What, you think we stink? We can’t play against seven or eight anymore?”

Last edited:

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Walters also wrote "The Same River Twice - A Season with Geno Auriemma and the Connecticut Huskies" still a real good read for those who follow the UCONN women. That's the book Walters references at the end of the article - In depth details from the 2000-2001 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom
Top Bottom