John Madden has passed away @ 85 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

John Madden has passed away @ 85

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
As a Chiefs fan, I hated Madden for many many years. He was good though. My favorite recollection of him was his hosting of Saturday Night Live and the bathroom joke. I used that joke 15 years afterwards.

Reaction Score
RIP to a true legend

John_Madden_Football_%2793_Coverart.png

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It’s amazing that Madden learned how to code so late in life.

I'm half sure this is a joke, but there is more to video game development than coding. It's like insinuating that he invented the telestrator or the headset.

He was definitely a collaborator/technical consultant for the early games. I remember getting the 2nd generation PC game for Christmas in the early 90s. John Madden Football II, I believe it was called. They weren't tied in with the NFLPA back then so his All-Time All-Madden team had "Joe Idaho" at QB. I remember it came with about 100 offensive plays and 200 defensive plays (100 each for the 4-3 and 3-4 bases), which came in 3 booklets and I believe he designed all of them from various systems. He also provided written commentary as well (For instance, he gave the impression that draw plays, particularly out of the shotgun, were akin to surrendering a down.). You could also design your own plays as well.

Madden not only redefined how fans consumed football, he redefined head-to-head gaming, IMO. Once the PlayStation exploded onto the scene, there was not a dorm floor at UConn (dare I say America) that did not have at least one Madden tournament a semester.

Reaction Score
What a life, what a legacy he did it his way. So many child hood memories listening to him in the living room and playing the madden games in the basement. RIP his legacy will live on forever.

Reaction Score
I miss those Giants too.
Yes there is was just always something about Madden and those Giants teams, he loved that hard nosed cold weather blue collar football.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Heard today that since he was locked into the NFC packages for the most part throughout his announcing career: the teams he covered the most were the: Cowboys, Giants, 49'ers and Eagles in that order. He never did a Houston Texan's game even though he retired after their 8th year of existence.

Reaction Score
Did you ever hear John Facenda say that in reference to Lambeau?
He said it about Cleveland’s Municipal Stadium earlier but did use the phrase about Lambeau on NFL Films Some fraudsters say Chris Berman made it up—but they’re wrong.

008.jpg

Reaction Score
Years ago (1988 or 1989), I was walking along Broadway at West 74th Street in NYC with my girlfriend of the time on a warm evening at about 10 p.m., and Madden was standing on the sidewalk, surrounded by about 15 people, talking football. I still remember the scene very vividly and always thought it was cool that the great John Madden was perfectly comfortable and totally unpretentious standing on a NYC sidewalk chatting with a group of strangers about the sport he loved.

Madden lived in the Dakota on Central Park West between 72d and 73d. My grandparents lived directly across 72nd street in the Majestic. My grandfather figured out the day/time that Madden's bus would pull out of the garage to drive him to west coast games, and used to look out the the window to see it off. (In fairness, he was retired and there was no internet then.)

Reaction Score
Heard today that since he was locked into the NFC packages for the most part throughout his announcing career: the teams he covered the most were the: Cowboys, Giants, 49'ers and Eagles in that order. He never did a Houston Texan's game even though he retired after their 8th year of existence.
Did he do a Houston Oilers game? My smart arse even twin asks.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Madden went to Monday Night Football in 2002. As an expansion franchise, The Texans were hardly worthy of Primetime games, let alone Monday Night Football.

Reaction Score
I'm half sure this is a joke, but there is more to video game development than coding. It's like insinuating that he invented the telestrator or the headset.

He was definitely a collaborator/technical consultant for the early games. I remember getting the 2nd generation PC game for Christmas in the early 90s. John Madden Football II, I believe it was called. They weren't tied in with the NFLPA back then so his All-Time All-Madden team had "Joe Idaho" at QB. I remember it came with about 100 offensive plays and 200 defensive plays (100 each for the 4-3 and 3-4 bases), which came in 3 booklets and I believe he designed all of them from various systems. He also provided written commentary as well (For instance, he gave the impression that draw plays, particularly out of the shotgun, were akin to surrendering a down.). You could also design your own plays as well.

Madden not only redefined how fans consumed football, he redefined head-to-head gaming, IMO. Once the PlayStation exploded onto the scene, there was not a dorm floor at UConn (dare I say America) that did not have at least one Madden tournament a semester.

It’s 100% a joke based on the zoomers who actually believe that.

I heard he gave the devs an old Raiders playbook.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It’s 100% a joke based on the zoomers who actually believe that.

I heard he gave the devs an old Raiders playbook.

I just re-read my post.

From the Department of Redundancy Dept.:

He also provided written commentary as well...

You could also design your own plays as well...

:D

Geez, I suck. Here's to 2022.

Reaction Score
He said it about Cleveland’s Municipal Stadium earlier but did use the phrase about Lambeau on NFL Films Some fraudsters say Chris Berman made it up—but they’re wrong.

View attachment 72149
NFL Films searched and never found a single time he said it In reference to Lambeau.

Reaction Score
NFL Films searched and never found a single time he said it In reference to Lambeau.
Who gives a crap. He was legendary. I can hear him saying it exactly as if he did and see the line getting set in slow motion and clouds of cold breath and steam. That’s the power of his voice.

Reaction Score
As a Chiefs fan, I hated Madden for many many years. He was good though. My favorite recollection of him was his hosting of Saturday Night Live and the bathroom joke. I used that joke 15 years afterwards.

I can see people not liking Madden during his coaching years because his Raiders teams were nasty, but I don't know anyone who disliked Madden as a broadcaster(not saying you did, just saying in general). There was nothing arrogant or disingenuous about him. You could tell he just loved the game and was passionate about it, and broke it down easily for the viewers to understand. He was a terrific compliment to Pat Summerall's PBP. Those two were the gold standard.

I've already gone back to watching old games on Youtube that they broadcasted. Suspect many football fans are doing that this week. For NFL fans, those two were part of the soundtrack of our lives the way John Facenda was with NFL Films for older fans.

Reaction Score
Coach did it his way. Always entertaining, always an addition, not a subtraction.
Fortunate to be "sitting", with a bunch of other guest high school players, on folding chairs alongside/behind the defending Super Bowl Champs NY Jets bench for an Oakland game at Shea, 11/30/1969, Madden's first year as coach. Up close and personal. Fred Biletnikof, HOFer, one time came flying into our rows of chairs. Good day, cold, blustery wind kicking up the infield dust..., and, we were 17.... Raiders, 28-14. R.I.P. Coach, Thanks.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Finally watching the All Madden special on ESPN+. I’ve been alternating between smiling, laughing out loud and crying the whole time. I guess I had forgotten how much I liked this guy. There will never be another one like him.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

“John was in an exclusive world, but he was very inclusive. People would come up and talk to him in restaurants and he was never in a hurry. There will never be another one like him. Never.”

“John knew how to connect. He connected with everybody.” Al Michaels

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The fact that Madden and John Robinson have been friends since the third grade blew me away. Wow…just wow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom