John Madden has passed away @ 85 | The Boneyard

John Madden has passed away @ 85

Reaction Score
8 legged Thanksgiving turkeys haven't been the same since he's been out of the booth. I need to try a turducken.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wrote more than one book report in middle school and high school off of One Knee Equals Two Feet.
Great coach who left on his terms, then became "the" voice of the NFL and then cashed it all on in with the video games. Three different personas for three different generations of football fans.

Reaction Score
Was showing my son who Madden was last week on YouTube. Today's kids have no idea who he was despite loving the game that has his name.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Years ago (1988 or 1989), I was walking along Broadway at West 74th Street in NYC with my girlfriend of the time on a warm evening at about 10 p.m., and Madden was standing on the sidewalk, surrounded by about 15 people, talking football. I still remember the scene very vividly and always thought it was cool that the great John Madden was perfectly comfortable and totally unpretentious standing on a NYC sidewalk chatting with a group of strangers about the sport he loved.

Reaction Score
I read that he suggested to Fox to superimpose the 1st down yellow line on the field. He also changed the way broadcasters prepared for games by watching coaches films of games and talking to the coaches and players. He and Pat were the best. RIP.

Reaction Score
Years ago (1988 or 1989), I was walking along Broadway at West 74th Street in NYC with my girlfriend of the time on a warm evening at about 10 p.m., and Madden was standing on the sidewalk, surrounded by about 15 people, talking football. I still remember the scene very vividly and always thought it was cool that the great John Madden was perfectly comfortable and totally unpretentious standing on a NYC sidewalk chatting with a group of strangers about the sport he loved.
He had a place at the Dakota and often held court with Yoko and Sean Lennon. I assumed he had a fear of flying but he hated flying since he was claustrophobic.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
One of the best coaches ever and the best color guy in the history of the NFL. Smack him in the ear hole
His bus was awesome

Prayers for his family

Reaction Score
I miss the great voices of football when football was football … Summeral, Facenda, Gowdy, madden, Cosell

Reaction Score
I miss the great voices of football … Summerall Facenda, Gowdy, Madden, Cosell
That’s a great collection of football voices. When we lived in Phila, John Facenda wasn’t a football or sports announcer, he was simply the local news anchor on Channel 10 who happened to be blessed with a distinctive voice. When Ed Sabol of NFL films needed a narrator for his various projects he wisely chose Facenda. His is the voice you hear uttering those iconic phrases such as “the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field”. Imagine that same voice reporting the evening news. Even the mundane stories sounded really important—lol.

Reaction Score
That’s a great collection of football voices. When we lived in Phila, John Facenda wasn’t a football or sports announcer, he was simply the local news anchor on Channel 10 who happened to be blessed with a distinctive voice. When Ed Sabol of NFL films needed a narrator for his various projects he wisely chose Facenda. His is the voice you hear uttering those iconic phrases such as “the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field”. Imagine that same voice reporting the evening news. Even the mundane stories sounded really important—lol.
Did you ever hear John Facenda say that in reference to Lambeau?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was showing my son who Madden was last week on YouTube. Today's kids have no idea who he was despite loving the game that has his name.

To be fair, he hasn’t called a football game since 2009. Someone who just turned 18 this past year would have been five.

I’m sure there’s plenty of kids who have the same knowledge relationship with Air Jordans. Or who only know kooky broadcaster Shaq or Charles Barkley.

Hell, I only know kooky broadcaster Terry Bradshaw. Never saw him play apart from highlight reels.

So it goes.

Reaction Score
To be fair, he hasn’t called a football game since 2009. Someone who just turned 18 this past year would have been five.

I’m sure there’s plenty of kids who have the same knowledge relationship with Air Jordans. Or who only know kooky broadcaster Shaq or Charles Barkley.

Hell, I only know kooky broadcaster Terry Bradshaw. Never saw him play apart from highlight reels.

So it goes.
I know, but he had no clue who he Madden was. With Jordan kids know he was a GOAT. Some young ones probably think Madden was a video game developer.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I know, but he had no clue who he Madden was. With Jordan kids know he was a GOAT. Some young ones probably think Madden was a video game developer.
It has been many, many years since I have played Madden. Who are the commentators? I remember that Madden, and I believe Summeral, used to be the broadcasters in the game. I'm assuming Madden doesn't do the commentary anymore so I could totally understand why kids think he's a video game designer now adays.

I'll always remember him broadcasting games. The tweet above that had his clip of the Gatorade coolers from the Super Bowl, sum up why I loved him calling games. He could have things as bizarre as that yet it just felt normal with the flow of his commentary.

This article had some great tweets that had some classic Madden clips in them:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom