2024 Recruiting: - John Bol will be making his college announcement this Saturday at 12pm ET. (Edit: Commits to Florida) | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: John Bol will be making his college announcement this Saturday at 12pm ET. (Edit: Commits to Florida)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Embarrassing / funny story about the time I met Manute Bol. It was 1984 and I was 6 years old. Manute came into my grandfather's store on Main street in Bridgeport ( Drumstik bar b q) . I was sitting on the bench directly to the left of the door which I think were seven foot doors. He bent down and had to duck to get in and when I saw it happening, I had no idea what I was looking at. He looked down at me after standing up straight and just said "hello" . I pointed at him and screamed bloody murder and then ran and held onto my Dad's leg ( he was the barbecue guy on the weekends) . He apologized to my Dad for scaring me and my Dad just kind of laughed. He came in a few times after that and was a very sweet man from what the employees told me and from what I can remember.
I love their chicken and love it even more knowing your an Huskie fan. Can't believe that place been their that long I was 1 in 1984

Reaction Score
O.K. so it's not UConn. Think he only visited Michigan and Missouri.
Then it's got to be $. Who would go to those two places after seeing how AS developed here and the winning tradition at UConn?

Reaction Score
Then it's got to be $. Who would go to those two places after seeing how AS developed here and the winning tradition at UConn?

Other programs develop players too. Not everything is about money. He's a completely different player than Sanogo. Much closer to Akok and Johnson... neither or which we've exactly done much with.

And do you really think we aren't offering substantial NIL packages to players? I have a bridge to sell you, my man.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
True. The ultimate project players. Not a lot of courts in Sudan.
To be fair, Akok got injured. Loul Deng is the best from there. He had a good career, good player.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
3 is more than most probably

Flashback to the days where Fairfield tried to eat the rule book on their way to building a pipeline to the Sudan.

To be fair, Akok got injured. Loul Deng is the best from there. He had a good career, good player.

The Deng family had a good run - the two brothers, a sister played for like Maryland, Deng Gai and also their niece played at Fairfield.

Manute Bol into’d them to basketball.

Reaction Score
I remember walking into a restaurant on Black Rock Turnpike one evening and half the Fairfield basketballl team, including Ajou Deng and Deng Gai, were in the lobby waiting for a table. Wasn’t hard to figure out who they were.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A ton of players

Reaction Score
Skinny 7 footer shot blocking projects are a dime a dozen. You need man-child players that can muscle on the boards and finish.

Reaction Score
Weird, but UConn has never done well with Sudanese Dinka tribesmen. We’ve had about 3.
1686419646887.jpeg

They also come in with extremely high expectations due to raw potential.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
View attachment 88892

They also come in with extremely high expectations due to raw potential.
Exactly. The expectations were way too high because of the athleticism and height. The earlier guys probably hadn’t played quality basketball much before high school, etc. Also, they always had to put on weight. The new era of guys probably has it way better than the guys from 10-15 years ago.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The expectations were way too high because of the athleticism and height. The earlier guys probably hadn’t played quality basketball much before high school, etc. Also, they always had to put on weight. The new era of guys probably has it way better than the guys from 10-15 years ago.
Good for florida, golden is going to be very successful imo

Reaction Score
Good for florida, golden is going to be very successful imo
I'm a Todd Golden fan from back in his San Francisco days so even though I don't like Florida sports, I'm rooting for Golden's success wherever he coaches.

Reaction Score
This will shock you, but people have gone to schools other than UConn for years and years and money is not always the reason.

Can’t sign everyone.
Other programs develop players too. Not everything is about money. He's a completely different player than Sanogo. Much closer to Akok and Johnson... neither or which we've exactly done much with.

And do you really think we aren't offering substantial NIL packages to players? I have a bridge to sell you, my man.
Chalk it up to my disdain for the coaching of Juwann Howard. Plus, how could anyone turn down a chance to play in front of fans like us?:rolleyes:

I understand what you're saying about not getting everyone you go after, etc. but it's fair to question why he would consider Michigan over UConn when you look at Howard's lack of success both in building a program (four year record of 19-12, 23-5, 19-15, and 18-16) and developing the highly rated recruits he's brought in.

Dickinson was heralded as a surefire one and done and should be the benchmark for a center considering playing for Howard. The fact he didn't improve over his three years should have been a red flag and maybe it was now that we know Bol has chosen UF. Maybe Bol and his advisors didn't like what they saw when he visited UM or maybe the visit was part of their NIL bargaining strategy. We'll never know.

As for NIL money, if you have insights into how much UConn has to offer please share it because there have been no hints or rumors about $ amounts like there were with Pack and Wong at Miami.

Reaction Score
Chalk it up to my disdain for the coaching of Juwann Howard. Plus, how could anyone turn down a chance to play in front of fans like us?:rolleyes:

I understand what you're saying about not getting everyone you go after, etc. but it's fair to question why he would consider Michigan over UConn when you look at Howard's lack of success both in building a program (four year record of 19-12, 23-5, 19-15, and 18-16) and developing the highly rated recruits he's brought in.

Dickinson was heralded as a surefire one and done and should be the benchmark for a center considering playing for Howard. The fact he didn't improve over his three years should have been a red flag and maybe it was now that we know Bol has chosen UF. Maybe Bol and his advisors didn't like what they saw when he visited UM or maybe the visit was part of their NIL bargaining strategy. We'll never know.

As for NIL money, if you have insights into how much UConn has to offer please share it because there have been no hints or rumors about $ amounts like there were with Pack and Wong at Miami.

No one ever expected Dickinson to be a one-and-done. And he improved substantially at Michigan. Did you even bother to look at his stats, let alone watch a game?

Dickinson was never, ever high on anyone's mock drafts because he doesn't fit the mold of a modern NBA big. He improved his passing and 3-point shot big time. If a big is being recruited by Michigan, Dickinson is going to be exhibit-A for why a kid might commit there.

We can't offer NIL money like Miami, and likely won't. However, I can promise you that Stephon Castle is not walking away from campus next May destitute. Or close to it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I agree on Howard, but Michigan is a pretty nice place to go to school….of course, the kid picked Florida, so maybe he agreed with you, too.

Sometimes kids just fall in love with a place and that is where they’re going to go. Every school in the southeast tried to convince Rashad Anderson to stay home, but he loved UConn from the jump, so nothing they did mattered.

Zero insight into our NIL. Not even something I think about, although we all should be donating to the collectives at this point - just the way of the world.

Reaction Score
No one ever expected Dickinson to be a one-and-done. And he improved substantially at Michigan. Did you even bother to look at his stats, let alone watch a game?

Dickinson was never, ever high on anyone's mock drafts because he doesn't fit the mold of a modern NBA big. He improved his passing and 3-point shot big time. If a big is being recruited by Michigan, Dickinson is going to be exhibit-A for why a kid might commit there.

We can't offer NIL money like Miami, and likely won't. However, I can promise you that Stephon Castle is not walking away from campus next May destitute. Or close to it.

Career Stats​

See All
Stats
2022-23
2021-22
2020-21

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Stats?: See above or try this link:Hunter Dickinson Stats | ESPN

I did look at his stats and that's why I referenced them. Did you? Please feel free to use the stats shown above and let me know where his substantial improvement lies.

Improved substantially?:
His scoring and rebounding only improved proportionally to his minutes played and, while his 3 point shooting improved, his overall FG% went down, as did his assists in year three.

If you want to place emphasis on his improved 3 point shooting, here's what Wikipedia said about his 3 point shooting in high school: "Despite not making a three-pointer in November and December 2019, Dickinson shot 40 percent from three-point range during his senior year" of high school.

His zero % as a UM freshman was on 4 attempts, so are you saying that's a fair baseline to use to compare with his junior year % at Michigan which was on 57 attempts? (Not a big sample either)

Honors while at Michigan: Not exactly an upward curve.
All-American:
Second team as a freshman, none as a sophomore and Honorable Mention as a Junior.
B1G:
Freshman: First team B1G by media and second team by the coaches; and B1G Freshman of the year.
Sophomore: Second team All B1G.
Junior: First team B1G by media and second team by the coaches, just like his freshman year.

Finally, you believe Dickinson, who left there after three years, will be Exhibit A for big men? What will be Michigan's approach? Come to Michigan so we can prep you for a great senior year elsewhere?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but you offered nothing to support your claim he improved substantially or that he'd be the example to use when recruiting big men. It looks as if what he was in high school is what he is today. That may be on him, but unless you can offer examples of other Howard recruits who developed substantially while at Michigan it may be related to coaching.

Reaction Score
That may be on him, but unless you can offer examples of other Howard recruits who developed substantially while at Michigan it may be related to coaching.
I'm not even gonna bother with the Dickinson stuff because you've already shown yourself to not be living in reality there. But Michigan has 2 guys who are gonna be 1st round picks this year, both borderline top 50 recruits. One of whom, Kobe Bufkin, is likely to be a lottery pick and made a massive jump from his freshman to sophomore year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom