Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
without all the crazy pressure
In today's world of CFP, this is worth quite a bit. I just hope we are looking at another guy coasting because we are not a CFP or bust school.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
In today's world of CFP, this is worth quite a bit. I just hope we are looking at another guy coasting because we are not a CFP or bust school.
I really don't think so.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
DB's Choice.

What a tough decision. I agree with what he did. You can't blame Moorhead for waiting to see if there is a better offer...but you have to sign the guy who is willing to commit now. There is some value in signing a guy who says "I don't need to wait for the season to end..I want this job".

Could have worked out with either coach... but you couldn't risk losing both.

I wonder if Herman was ever in the mix?

Anyway....That's why DB gets the big money!

Bird in the hand. While Moorhead might have been interested, there is a way of saying he'd take it if offered after the season. Clearly he didn't do that. If Oregon makes the CFP, he'd have better offers with more win ready rosters. This was also a guy previously fired by UConn and passed over three times. Let's not pretend hiring Mora meant we could have hired Moorhead.

We got a good guy. Bill Belichick wouldn't be a sure thing right now.

Reaction Score
what I think when I read post after post of ... retread; cruising; just looking for a paycheck: great thing you guys aren't potential business partners. I get it. You are like all those pining and yearning for that retirement age & the safety of seat belts. Jim Mora and competitive souls do not think that. I get it. Edsall is deserving of some of the like scorn. For every whine, there is a great story of somebody starting new ventures later in life. You are just projecting.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Easy Coach it’s the real one…

I'll bet Jonathan needed a little head holding for that pose, but you're right. BTW, who is that RFK Jr. look alike behind DB?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Jim Mora gets it. None of this BS of one sport versus another. He’s going to reach out to every Fanbase to try to excite them for football. Hell, I listen to them and I want to strap on the pads. I like the hire, but the more I see Jim in action the more I think he may end up being some thing special for us. Which is kind of important because less than special probably doesn’t get it done at this point.

Reaction Score
anybody who said that - sportswriter or fan - is a complete Knucklehead. No institution or large org drops a several hundred million dollar investment. Of course, we had a steep climb; we understand. But this Mora hire is a Leap (as any would be); we then need to pull our panties up and try try harder. This is unacceptable.
Yeah, well, as a taxpayer I can tell you it is not a carte blanche, in perpetuity, situation. At some point the concept of throwing good money after bad comes into play. If UConn is still in the same place in five years from now as it is today, you will definitely see it come into play.

What I said in a post a few months ago was that FCS would be preferable to continuing the level of competitiveness exhibited by this year's team. That if UConn was not prepared to get more serious about the sport, that is what they should do.

The idea that an institution would lose more money on FCS than FBS doesn't pass the eyeball test. Until we see apples to apples data that continues to be the conclusion. A LOT of FCS institutions have looked in depth at that question and to date only a trickle have made that move.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Yeah, well, as a taxpayer I can tell you it is not a carte blanche, in perpetuity, situation. At some point the concept of throwing good money after bad comes into play. If UConn is still in the same place in five years from now as it is today, you will definitely see it come into play.

What I said in a post a few months ago was that FCS would be preferable to continuing the level of competitiveness exhibited by this year's team. That if UConn was not prepared to get more serious about the sport, that is what they should do.

The idea that an institution would lose more money on FCS than FBS doesn't pass the eyeball test. Until we see apples to apples data that continues to be the conclusion. A LOT of FCS institutions have looked in depth at that question and to date only a trickle have made that move.
They're not dropping down or getting rid of football..So tired of this suggestion.

Reaction Score

Since 2004
FBS moving down to FCS
Idaho 2017
Florida A&M 2004

FCS moving up to FBS
Liberty 2017
Coastal Carolina 2016
Charlotte 2014
Appalachian State 2013
Georgia Southern 2013
Georgia State 2012
Old Dominion 2012
Massachusetts 2011
South Alabama 2011
Texas State 2011
Western Kentucky 2006
Florida International 2004

Reaction Score
@Exit 4 who do you think inherited a better team? Diaco after PP or Mora after Edsall 2.0?

I really hope the answer is Mora…

Reaction Score

knucklehead

I am never giving you a regional mall to manage

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
@Exit 4 who do you think inherited a better team? Diaco after PP or Mora after Edsall 2.0?

I really hope the answer is Mora…
Well I don’t think I have the answers here, my recall for these types of questions isn’t the best. Maybe others here could offer a more confident opinion.

I think my answer is that PP was left a better roster with respect it’s entire balance, but I would venture to guess this roster has better athletes at the WR position and more players with a higher upside that are underclassman.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
knucklehead

I am never giving you a regional mall to manage

Seeing as no one here actually knows the guy, It a fair question to ask given the last few coaches mailing it in at several points in light of there being better options for a guy with his resume. Another option is there is a lot of meat on the bone for someone looking to flip a UConn coaching stint into a better payday.

Personally, my hope is that given his age and ties to the area (yes, he now has some that he didn't last time he coached) is that he is successful enough for him to stay a while and for us to want him to stay a while.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Well I don’t think I have the answers here, my recall for these types of questions isn’t the best. Maybe others here could offer a more confident opinion.

I think my answer is that PP was left a better roster with respect it’s entire balance, but I would venture to guess this roster has better athletes at the WR position and more players with a higher upside that are underclassman.

Edsall left a better roster to PP (except a future treasonous QB) than PP left Diaco, than Diaco left Esdall which was garbage. Edsall is leaving a roster probably not quite as good as the one PP left Diaco but still better than what he inherited though with some obvious holes.

Reaction Score

Can we please stop with the taxpayer nonsense. I get it but UConn and UConn Health are almost $3 billion budget. The taxpayers contribute about $400 million. Plus another $200 million in bonding payments. So around 13% of the operating budget. Ideal word UConn would be spun off as a quasi-public. Another way of looking at it..UConn generates $8 for every buck the taxpayers give it.

Reaction Score
Seeing as no one here actually knows the guy, It a fair question to ask given the last few coaches mailing it in at several points in light of there being better options for a guy with his resume. Another option is there is a lot of meat on the bone for someone looking to flip a UConn coaching stint into a better payday.

Personally, my hope is that given his age and ties to the area (yes, he now has some that he didn't last time he coached) is that he is successful enough for him to stay a while and for us to want him to stay a while.

what's with the curmudgeon attitude and behavior.

First, DON'T give me: "I am a taxpayer and it is my money." That is a long frigging debate. And I will be detailed with all the costs and choices/options this University has made to be at this level of football."

Second. DON'T throw out the FCS doesn't lose money line ... unless you know the dollars and cents. This is easy and there are 10 case studies you can review nationally of how different Universities are proceeding. And ALMOST all the upgrades are a happy experience. They are - in general - southern, coastal, Texas universities that had nowhere the cache of most of the schools WE would even think of sending our kids. So ... BRAND and PR is a large part of the push. Who ever heard of Coastal Carolina or App State. I think the University of New Hampshire could be one of the coolest schools in the country if they promoted themselves right ... and YES ... I think that's about FBS. And that cool collegetown Durham + near proximity to Dover & Portsmouth & Boston. But NOOOO. Stuck.

Third. Economics law. If you have 15 schools that upgrade in the last 15 years and 30 since 1992 ... that there is everything. University Presidents and alumni are running to FBS. This guy Tuthill has said a few times - go FCS. It is not feasible. The best capitalized local University with a solid fanbase + facilities are scratching their head on that topic (yup Delaware) ... because the Division is frankly eroding.

If JIM MORA earns a P5 job from this exalted UCONN gig ... we are gonna be happy. That means he rebuilt us from the dumpster. And YES ... I have a UCLA degree too. I know more about that place than 125 others.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom