Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC

Reaction Score
I really don't want to see a significant number of the assistants retained... Spanos gives continuity and has the history with Mora if he wants to keep him around.

The team needs a change in culture, losing is too well ingrained. That means they need new voices... even if some of the existing positional coaches are just as good as potential new ones a new voice is still good. I'm not saying throw out a coach whose better than the potential alternative... but anyone who can be replaced (or preferably upgraded) should be gone.

Reaction Score
Mora definitely has cred… LA Times has reported this news, and so has Bloomberg, HoustonChron, SeattlePi, MSN, profootballtalk, rochesterfirst, I mean all over. I don’t remember any of our other hires being reported like this.

Reaction Score
Mora definitely has cred… LA Times has reported this news, and so has Bloomberg, HoustonChron, SeattlePi, MSN, profootballtalk, rochesterfirst, I mean all over. I don’t remember any of our other hires being reported like this.
He can coach, he can recruit, and he gives us a much-needed shot of street cred. Kudos to AD Dave!

Reaction Score
I really don't want to see a significant number of the assistants retained... Spanos gives continuity and has the history with Mora if he wants to keep him around.

The team needs a change in culture, losing is too well ingrained. That means they need new voices... even if some of the existing positional coaches are just as good as potential new ones a new voice is still good. I'm not saying throw out a coach whose better than the potential alternative... but anyone who can be replaced (or preferably upgraded) should be gone.
Good people should be kept, especially if they can relate and recruit. Mora is bound to be pretty focused and detailed (per his resume), and he’ll have plans for each of them to do things his way.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
First, where have all you lurkers been?

Second, my initial reaction, was "Wow!" That was more name than I was expecting, so in terms of demonstrating a commitment to FB, check the box.

Third, it was always going to come down to a choice between the best retread or an unknown.

I was not excited about Golden or any other head coach who had one decent season at a middling school once and is now looking for a second chance. I was less excited about a coach making lateral move from some other also ran G5 program.

I said at the beginning that I was going to trust AD David Benedict because it was his job on the line and I knew he would take it seriously as a guy from a FB first culture. So, I'm fine going with experience vs trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I'm sure he has heard all about the PP/GDL retirement scam.

If you were looking for the biggest name that you could convince to come to UConn, a Jim Mora would be at or near the top of the list. I don't think Jim needs the money and he is better than PP on his worst day.

If this doesn't work it will be because of recruiting. I don't think we will need to worry about lack of FB IQ.

Results will matter, but today I'm pretty darn pleased. The message this sends about commitment can't be overstated.
This "lurker" has been on the BY since Aug 2011, albeit contributing little to nothing since the Diaco era cratered. I'm sure some here would even say nothing much was contributed before then either. Anyway, hopefully, that will change in the FHCJM era. In the meantime, following this board, even occasionally over these last 6-8 years, has felt like dropping in as a guest at the Griswold house for Christmas. Hopefully there are some equally stupidly fun times and poignant moments in store for UConn football going forward.

Reaction Score
Hey Yup, As someone in their 50s I hear ya. I still do physical stuff that people in their 30s refuse to do. Am I an idiot? Am I tough and want to stay young? Probably both. But unlike local FCS coaches who may be awesome, they are only known by us UConn fans. Mora is a big name which hopefully will ease nationwide recruiting and be able to get good to great assistant coaches. Really like this guy from his interviews with Mark Packer.

Reaction Score
here's a point that probably is true ... we would not keep the CBS Sportsline television spot nor anything comparable without a Jim Mora type hire. Chesney or Will Healy or Sean Glennon or Liam Coen or Golden? I wanna say no. Probably not. We keep our platform; we get a chance to pull ourselves up. Mora ... and maybe a few others gets us to be on television like that for more years.

Reaction Score

Really disagree with this guy‘s take on our roster. He poops pretty hard on our current players. He may be alum, but his take is off. The Holy Cross game was not the pinnacle of our season. We lost that game through bad coaching, poor roster management, and stupid mistakes. NOT b/c Holy Cross had better players. We’d have a better record this season with better coaching, less self-inflicted errors, and more maturity. Mora can do better with our current roster than we’ve seen this season. Stop pooping on our players and get behind them! Next year will be light years above where we are now.

Reaction Score
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different result.

Reaction Score
Really disagree with this guy‘s take on our roster. He poops pretty hard on our current players. He may be alum, but his take is off. The Holy Cross game was not the pinnacle of our season. We lost that game through bad coaching, poor roster management, and stupid mistakes. NOT b/c Holy Cross had better players. We’d have a better record this season with better coaching, less self-inflicted errors, and more maturity. Mora can do better with our current roster than we’ve seen this season. Stop pooping on our players and get behind them! Next year will be light years above where we are now.
This team is not full of talent. Although I agree with better coaching we would have won a couple games, but only a couple. There’s a sprinkle of talented players but not many. I think he was being realistic and not pooping on players.

Reaction Score
This team is not full of talent. Although I agree with better coaching we would have won a couple games, but only a couple. There’s a sprinkle of talented players but not many. I think he was being realistic and not pooping on players.
There’s more than a handful of talent, mostly on offense. However, we aren’t at full strength and a lot of that talent is out for the season. At full strength with some key portal pieces added in and a year of maturity, I think we can be pretty decent next season.

Reaction Score
Really disagree with this guy‘s take on our roster. He poops pretty hard on our current players. He may be alum, but his take is off. The Holy Cross game was not the pinnacle of our season. We lost that game through bad coaching, poor roster management, and stupid mistakes. NOT b/c Holy Cross had better players. We’d have a better record
I agree

Torres is wrong. And many here also throw this out as well. The fact is there is an ungodly number of kids who had never played a college down before that Fresno game. And ... the % of FR, RFR, SO etc - combined with no 2020 games is a frightening construct to take into any stadium. That Holy Cross game portrayed a FCS team that we had trouble with (which - I think - we have done 4 times in 4 years); and they played a Spring Football schedule - and found their QB for the future. Second game of the year. So when you see Wyo & Vandy ... do you reassess?

My focus has been on Cross and Wortham replacing Lucien and Bell; all 4 are good corners and are developing nicely physically & football wise. LBs good. DLine with plenty. It is pretty obvious what we really really need to be just a little bit better.

Reaction Score
given the process and the superlatives in his Tweets ... I would say Lou Spanos is in.

My thought is - given my respect for ScottVib - that we will see 2 other assistants retained, maybe 3. And yes ... I think the backoffice Zyskowski & Steinberg.

greatest NEED? OLine guy. And the UCLA guy elevated and elevated and is now the OLine coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers ... so we ain't getting Klemm.

also lucky ... Mora doesn't have a son following

Reaction Score
given the process and the superlatives in his Tweets ... I would say Lou Spanos is in.

My thought is - given my respect for ScottVib - that we will see 2 other assistants retained, maybe 3. And yes ... I think the backoffice Zyskowski & Steinberg.

greatest NEED? OLine guy. And the UCLA guy elevated and elevated and is now the OLine coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers ... so we ain't getting Klemm.

also lucky ... Mora doesn't have a son following

So has Foley retired yet? Best OL guy we’ve seen

Reaction Score
That's too bad BL because it's all good.

All good? No, it’s not all good. I’ll try to do a 241 tonight, but I see both pros and cons. I’m still wrestling with where I am on this. But as is clear, this is certainly not a Bob Diaco like strikeout, I’m just not clear that it’s a, say, Rick Leach to Texas Tech home run either,

Reaction Score
We have ten 3 stars in CT alone this year, two 4 stars and thirteen 3 stars last year in CT alone. We are a tiny state.

“Some Guy” isn’t wrong here:

There are clearly exceptions but the majority of high end kids are @ the Prep Schools (check list over the past few years). Mora needs to find his CT “guy” that has strong relationships (or is/was one of them). Also needs to build strong relationships w/ local private trainers.

Reaction Score
Coaching High School in Massachusetts
I agree on superlatives on Foley - though I bet Benedict never saw that. The added bonus was he was particularly effective in Massachusetts 495 and in plus Prep schools.

Then ... I think he was working hard to get his son situated at smaller colleges.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom