Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
From the Courant:

Pehrson, 37, was the director of recruiting at Texas Tech for past three years. Before that, he worked in a similar capacity at Houston and Navy. At UConn he’ll likely be organizing camps and recruiting visits, among other duties. A college baseball player, he played two years in the Baltimore Orioles’ farm system.

“Preston possesses a relentless work ethic and has a variety of experiences and knowledge that will help to enhance and improve our recruiting operation,” Mora said in a statement from UConn. “This is a critical position for our program, and I know Preston is the right man for the job.”
I am assuming he will be responsible for getting Texas recruits here? Hopefully, we will still recruit Texas but at a higher level. It is good to see Mora hiring all these young hungry coaches vs. a head coach that just help their buddies get jobs.

Reaction Score
I am assuming he will be responsible for getting Texas recruits here? Hopefully, we will still recruit Texas but at a higher level. It is good to see Mora hiring all these young hungry coaches vs. a head coach that just help their buddies get jobs.
I’m really hoping the new staff takes a recruiting approach somewhat similar to Hurley. Start as close to home as they can - NJ, PA, VA, the Carolina’s, Ohio, Michigan, etc. They can establish a more competitive roster and then start to branch out towards Florida and Texas.

A huge chunk of RE’s recruits had very few offers from more than a few FBS schools. Just going after the guys that end up at MAC and sun belt schools will help us get closer to .500, and I imagine the staff can be far more productive recruiting against those programs compared to the P5.

Reaction Score
This might've been addressed here already but I couldn't find a post - what exactly does the GM do?
Manages the transfer portal! LOL

I’ve never seen this position called the GM…rather interesting

Reaction Score
I’m really hoping the new staff takes a recruiting approach somewhat similar to Hurley. Start as close to home as they can - NJ, PA, VA, the Carolina’s, Ohio, Michigan, etc. They can establish a more competitive roster and then start to branch out towards Florida and Texas.

A huge chunk of RE’s recruits had very few offers from more than a few FBS schools. Just going after the guys that end up at MAC and sun belt schools will help us get closer to .500, and I imagine the staff can be far more productive recruiting against those programs compared to the P5.
This is the right approach. Obviously, you want to recruit all the surrounding areas as much as you can since it is easier to sell to recruits and families, and they are familiar with the program. We definitely need to do better in CT, NJ, Maryland, Canada, and PA first, and then branch out to other parts of the country.

Since we have a national schedule, it might be easier to sell UCONN in Texas and CA if we choose to schedule more away games in those states.

The young staff Mora is assembling is a great start. These are young and up and coming coaches that are hungry. Hopefully, they will implement modern offense and defense vs. the 1950s scheme Edsall had it going.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The idea of focusing on local recruiting sounds nice but we will need more than that to get where we want to be.

To paraphrase an old Sam Adam's commercial, states like Florida and Texas spill more than we make.

Our best years under RE 1.0 included finding a number of Florida kids on a regular basis. If we are going to avoid that state (and Texas, where we've finally made some progress) we will need to be materially better than we ever have been in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia and we will need to hit Ohio at least as hard as we hit New York/New England.

Yes, it is great for local morale to bring in kids from Ct and obviously we would want any local kid capable of playing at the highest level to do so in our uniform. Additional benefit is that it will help build/strengthen the fan base. That said, I believe we need to pull kids from Florida and I also believe that for us to get to the levels we desire, recruiting Texas would help tremendously.

Reaction Score
Per Hartford Courant article:

Ryan Osborn, an analyst at Michigan, is a possibility to join UConn’s staff as defensive line coach.
Dom Amore can be reached at damore@courant.com
heard that was more of a done deal earlier in the week. would be a great hire, isnt being followed by any uconn coaches on twitter so doesnt seem to be close. not that twitter is any indication, but it tends to give hints.

Reaction Score
heard that was more of a done deal earlier in the week. would be a great hire, isnt being followed by any uconn coaches on twitter so doesnt seem to be close. not that twitter is any indication, but it tends to give hints.

Osborn is following Mora and is followed by the new DB coach, so could still be something there.

Reaction Score
Tuesday evening recap:

Head Coach: Jim Mora

OC: Nick Charlton?
RB Coach: EJ Barthel
WR Coach/Passing Game Coord: John Allen
TE: John Marinelli

DC:
LB Coach: Siriki Diabate
DB Coach: Dalton Hilliard
DL Coach: Ryan Osborn?

General Manager: Preston Pehrson

“?” = no official announcement from UConn yet

Wednesday afternoon recap:

Assistant HC/OC/Quarterbacks: Nick Charlton

DC:

Reaction Score
Wednesday afternoon recap:

OC: Nick Charlton

DC:

I believe I read that Charlton would also be the QB coach in the announcement.

Reaction Score
The idea of focusing on local recruiting sounds nice but we will need more than that to get where we want to be.

To paraphrase an old Sam Adam's commercial, states like Florida and Texas spill more than we make.

Our best years under RE 1.0 included finding a number of Florida kids on a regular basis. If we are going to avoid that state (and Texas, where we've finally made some progress) we will need to be materially better than we ever have been in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia and we will need to hit Ohio at least as hard as we hit New York/New England.

Yes, it is great for local morale to bring in kids from Ct and obviously we would want any local kid capable of playing at the highest level to do so in our uniform. Additional benefit is that it will help build/strengthen the fan base. That said, I believe we need to pull kids from Florida and I also believe that for us to get to the levels we desire, recruiting Texas would help tremendously.
Agree with about all of this with one caveat. The portal. Didn’t exist during our best years and wasn’t utilized by 2.0. So it opens up other options that are not as relationship based. We shall see

Reaction Score

We're mostly offering kids at prep schools... Those kids are from Illinois, Pennsylvania, Florida, NC, Virginia and more.

Reaction Score
Agree with about all of this with one caveat. The portal. Didn’t exist during our best years and wasn’t utilized by 2.0. So it opens up other options that are not as relationship based. We shall see
Transfer portal is relationship based as well.

Reaction Score
Alot of movement happening in South Bend atm. Could this be why Osborn hasnt been officially announced so yet by the school?

Reaction Score
Our future DC must be going to a bowl game, and can’t leave until after the season is done? that or maybe Spanos had the job but politely declined last minute? i dunno

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Would you have said that before Mora was hired? I wouldn't. I didn't realize how much UConn needed a Mora type leader until I have seen him in action.

Maybe Moorhead has that leadership capability, but its hard to imagine anyone making a better first impression than Mora.
I agree 110% with that. Mora is well connected and brings an instant credibility back to UConn. Also his energy about this challenge is intense which is phenomenal. He knows this can work, and we can win here.

Reaction Score

Totally agree with you. Texas and Florida have averaged 320+ players a year (2008-2019). Connecticut: 10.2. Over that 12 year period the most we had was 18 which happened once. So in a typical year, even if we locked up every FBS player in the state, we need just as many from “ away.” And of course we are never getting 100% for a host of reasons, some ours, some having to do with the kids. Maybe one is a receiver at a time we are not Looking for one. Maybe one is the son of a Michigan grad and has wanted to play there his whole career. Maybe one is not a good fit for the system we use. Recruiting needs to be tailored to what UConn needs and want to do, not to what zip code a player hails from.

Reaction Score
I agree if you limit the definition of “in-state offers” to only CIAC schools. I’m not sure it’s so nuts if you include the prep schools as “in-state offers”. Win and they will come…
I have a feeling we are just offering so many kids to get off on the right foot. The real talent upgrade will be transfers and JUCOs. I doubt we're hitting 8 person CT classes every year 2-3 years from now unless we're getting all of the highest rated kids which seems unlikely

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom