Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
I'm confused.... what am i missing? A majority of our offers seem to be to FCS kids or kids with no offers....are we just excited cause some of them are from CT and CT players etc is the sole most important thing to UConn football ala PP era?
Late in the game for '22 high schoolers; gonna have to use the portal for bolstering next year's roster.

Reaction Score
I'm confused.... what am i missing? A majority of our offers seem to be to FCS kids or kids with no offers....are we just excited cause some of them are from CT and CT players etc is the sole most important thing to UConn football ala PP era?
i think maybe to show CT high school coaches he is going to recruit from CT and make room for them... hopefully, he does not neglect to recruit from TX seeing a couple of guys from TX are transferring out.

Reaction Score
There are literally a dozen schools with no staff in place yet and a staff that’s supposedly been recruiting elsewhere all fall and we’re nudging AIC out? It’s not that late.

I’m thinking we’re committed to giving 5 slots locally, period. Which appears to be about 4 too many at this point.

Reaction Score
first ... we - and New England generally - often watched OLine guys well into their Senior years ... and many times offered after most of their season was over. Like? Zac Hurd. My view is we often found better success.

second - covid effect - we have kids that never played in CT in 2020 and yet we are coming close to NLI signing day. This kid Edwards has lots of long TD runs blowing away the locals; I am more thrilled by his defensive play.

I think we have always gotten good value from CT kids - and sometimes surprises.

OUR biggest gain has got to be getting one - three of the JUCO kids plus Portal. OLine needs immediate starters. We need a few WR playmakers too imho. And then QB ... one solid kid.

Reaction Score
There are literally a dozen schools with no staff in place yet and a staff that’s supposedly been recruiting elsewhere all fall and we’re nudging AIC out? It’s not that late.

I’m thinking we’re committed to giving 5 slots locally, period. Which appears to be about 4 too many at this point.
That’s assuming all of them commit. If Mora wants to gain these high school coaches trust he has to offer. Joly is a recruit marinelli offered and multiple recruiting analysts are baffled on his lack of offers. This years recruiting class is gunna be thin. Offer some local kids.

Reaction Score
Remember most schools classes filled months ago prior to the start of this year’s HS season. Others may not have room.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What are we doing? IDK - maybe we are starting by getting a handful (2-5 slots) of those FCS kids that stress us out every fall and embarrass our program. Some scrappy local types. And more importantly we are reopening the local doors.

Yeah, we'll have to aim higher than this - of course.

Reaction Score
It’s already working….

Cam Edwards (RB/S/OLB, Norwalk HS)

-> Marinelli said one kid UConn should be on is Cam Edwards, the Norwalk running back-defensive back: “If he isn’t the best running back in the state, I don’t know who is. I think he’s a DI safety.” <-

Your move Lou…

Reaction Score
I’m sure Coach Mora can read the same data I can and he isn’t going to invest lots of time in getting Connecticut kids. A few now to fill slots maybe and build some bridges, but over the last 15 years or so Connecticut has averaged 10 FBS signees per year, highest number in 2019 with 18, lowest was 5 A couple of times. Texas and Florida average over 320 each over the same period. New Jersey around 50, PA 65, so you really can’t just recruit locally. And of note UConn brings in at least a few of those local kids every year. We had +- 18 Connecticut kids on the roster this season. Assuming they were equally distributed ( they probably weren’t) that’s 3.5 per year or 35% of the local FBS kids. Given all the other factors at play I’m not sure you will ever do much better.

The other thing of note as Pudge says, many come from prep programs. Better coaching better competition, and since at least some guys are doing post grad years, older and physically more mature. Bottom line is we have 1 guy on staff who is tied into the local system..we certainly don't need 2-3. As I noted many times before, there are high schools in Texas and Florida that turn out more FBS players than Connecticut does. A few years ago, the high school my brother’s kids attended had 6 on just the defensive side of the ball.

Reaction Score
You’re missing that they’re opening doors with these offers not only for the hs kids but for potentially local kids entering the portal. Doesn’t hurt having the local coaches on Uconns side

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
In the era of the portal and the extra year of eligibility due to COVid we will see HS kids with far fewer offers than in prior years because most programs are holding onto seniors and super seniors longer. In a normal environment some of these kids would probably have more FBS offers than they do now.

Also, let’s give Mora and his new crew some space. If we get the kind of FCS kids that have made us look foolish the past decade then no harm no foul. Opening doors this year is what we need to do. Wipe out all the petty negative vibes and build community.

Reaction Score
Check the recruiting page. The offers rolling in appear to be people with P5 offers tonight, The U, Nebraska, Purdue, Maryland...

Reaction Score
Does this cover the "give a young FCS head coach a chance" angle?

Hope he knows his offense. We need that in the absolute worst way.
Heir apparent? He's young and ambitious.

Reaction Score
I’m sure Coach Mora can read the same data I can and he isn’t going to invest lots of time in getting Connecticut kids. A few now to fill slots maybe and build some bridges, but over the last 15 years or so Connecticut has averaged 10 FBS signees per year, highest number in 2019 with 18, lowest was 5 A couple of times. Texas and Florida average over 320 each over the same period. New Jersey around 50, PA 65, so you really can’t just recruit locally. And of note UConn brings in at least a few of those local kids every year. We had +- 18 Connecticut kids on the roster this season. Assuming they were equally distributed ( they probably weren’t) that’s 3.5 per year or 35% of the local FBS kids. Given all the other factors at play I’m not sure you will ever do much better.

The other thing of note as Pudge says, many come from prep programs. Better coaching better competition, and since at least some guys are doing post grad years, older and physically more mature. Bottom line is we have 1 guy on staff who is tied into the local system..we certainly don't need 2-3. As I noted many times before, there are high schools in Texas and Florida that turn out more FBS players than Connecticut does. A few years ago, the high school my brother’s kids attended had 6 on just the defensive side of the ball.
In many parts of New England, HS football is getting better. There are now many 7 on 7 competitions, more spread offenses, more conditioning,…. And, you have the prep schools. Down South, year round training, 7 on 7s, better coaching has lead to more developed kids that are ready to play college football out of HS, but they are already highly developed so what you see is what you get. So an already developed low 3 star from down South is not necessarily better than an underdeveloped 2 star from New England.

There are now CT HS QBs that have gone through the better processes playing high level FBS football like Levis at Kentucky, Van Dyke at Clemson, Phommachanh at Clemson, Tyler P at UConn,…. And, when you look at the 2 NH kids that went to UConn and got drafted by the NFL, Ryan Griffen and Kendall Reyes, they were underdeveloped and would have gone FCS if they didn’t go to UConn.

Reaction Score
If you're referring to Cam Edwards you never saw him play. He's better than Arkeel Newsome was at this point imo.

Reaction Score
If he is considering Akron, gotta wonder if UConn might have been in his sights. (Very happy with Mora, though).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom