Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 48 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
As a parent who paid a full tuition there -- thanks.
When I visited GW with my daughter, the most impressive thing was the school logo on all the dumpsters. No American U was a different story

Reaction Score
The tuition at George Washington University in DC is over $58,000 per year. The academic standing is meh. It is considered the worst value of a University in America. Great place to meet other wealthy kids. Tuition has little relationship to academic standing.
I've never understood the correlation between high tuition costs and earning potential. I'm 35, got my bachelor's from a meh university and earned my master's from a meh university. My undergrad cost with room and board was around $15,000 a year and my master's was about 18k total. I never took out student loans. I've traveled the world on a Fortune 500's dime while earning a six figure salary. I also happen to serve on the board at the GWU School of Business. Parents need to stop burdening their children w senseless debt just so they can brag that their kid goes to X school. I've hired over 100 people, and I've never asked or cared where anyone went to school. Additionally, I've never been asked in an interview about where I've gone to school. These universities profit off the falacy that their education is going to open doors that others school won't. In most cases, this isn't true.

Reaction Score
I've never understood the correlation between high tuition costs and earning potential. I'm 35, got my bachelor's from a meh university and earned my master's from a meh university. My undergrad cost with room and board was around $15,000 a year and my master's was about 18k total. I never took out student loans. I've traveled the world on a Fortune 500's dime while earning a six figure salary. I also happen to serve on the board at the GWU School of Business. Parents need to stop burdening their children w senseless debt just so they can brag that their kid goes to X school. I've hired over 100 people, and I've never asked or cared where anyone went to school. Additionally, I've never been asked in an interview about where I've gone to school. These universities profit off the falacy that their education is going to open doors that others school won't. In most cases, this isn't true.
In some instances I agree with you that the college doesn't make a huge difference in your job earning potential but grad school is a different animal. One of my sons graduated from University of Chicago MBA program which is one of the top programs in the country. When he graduated there he signed a first year deal earning almost $300,000 per year. Most of his friends from there (finance Majors) all made a huge amount more then his friends who graduated from Meh MBA schools. The top firms demand MBA from Wharton, Harvard, Stamford and Booth and pay for that talent level.

Reaction Score
The whole context was Football players picking BC and Syracuse over UConn for reasons, including BC being better academically. Football players don't pay money, so arguing about price doesn't make any logical sense.
Hold on, educate me what players did we miss out on that were "good" football players because they wanted to go to a school with perceived harder academics? I'm not trying to be a wiseass, I just think the vast majority of football players at the FBS level are not looking for harder classes. I just don't see it.

Reaction Score
Hold on, educate me what players did we miss out on that were "good" football players because they wanted to go to a school with perceived harder academics? I'm not trying to be a wiseass, I just think the vast majority of football players at the FBS level are not looking for harder classes. I just don't see it.
Some kids will choose the Ivies over FBS. In the class of 2022, 4 kids UConn offered decided on Harvard, 1 Princeton, and 1 Brown. 2 PWO offered kids went to Columbia and Brown.

When it comes to FBS football, I would think most kids are not choosing schools based on academics, but on coaches, relationships, playing time opportunities, proximity to home, ability to develop football talent, facilities, schedule, prestige, winning,... and now NIL opportunities.

Reaction Score
Some other people were saying the value proposition of BC and potentially Syracuse for athletes was better academics than UConn and I was responding to a comment that another person made who said Tution Cost factored into the decision and BC and Syracuse were more expensive and the price wasn't worth it. I was simply saying with scholarship athletes, price does not factor into that argument.

Reaction Score
Nah. Funny is funny.
When your kid gets into a top 75 university in the entire country, it is certainly something to be proud of. He's no dummy. I was surprised by the overpriced ranking. They must have a lot of Liberal Arts majors there.

Reaction Score
When your kid gets into a top 75 university in the entire country, it is certainly something to be proud of. He's no dummy. I was surprised by the overpriced ranking. They must have a lot of Liberal Arts majors there.

I am proud of both my children. (just so that’s clear since both of them read these threads sometimes and they both have friends who know my real identity and would tell them if I said something bad.)

Reaction Score
It's been some time since I got my Master's and looked for my first job, so maybe it's changed, but "back in the day" the school's reputation might help you get the first job. After that, the hiring was based all on your ability, accomplishments and what you could do for the employer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some other people were saying the value proposition of BC and potentially Syracuse for athletes was better academics than UConn and I was responding to a comment that another person made who said Tution Cost factored into the decision and BC and Syracuse were more expensive and the price wasn't worth it. I was simply saying with scholarship athletes, price does not factor into that argument.
Once again, a direct reply to a different person ( @RSTuthill , cited message below) specifically identified Syracuse's current academic admission standards are on par if not lower than UConn's today. Yes, the clear response directly to RSTuthill noted SU's costs are typically higher in general. Noting a continued unilateral misunderstanding, a polite reply to you specifically acknowledged SU's general student costs do not apply to student-athletes on full scholarship. Bless your heart.
Not sure where you are going with this, but both BC and Syracuse are private and their admissions are more competitive, are they not?

Reaction Score
D866FF0F-E9E7-45DE-89A3-10579BCB6B34.jpeg

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I am proud of both my children. (just so that’s clear since both of them read these threads sometimes and they both have friends who know my real identity and would tell them if I said something bad.)
I always tell my kids I love the other one better...currently. Keeps them in their toes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom