Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
Can we separate 2 thoughts

1. We need to be a resource for CTHS programs. They should have access to us so they can grow their programs and be a resource for players who can play 1A.
2. Let’s keep a few kids home and focus on recruiting players across country. CT is not a deep well and some kids simply want to go away. It’s ok.

Now, let’s not overthink the CT HS recruiting angle and can we please get this back to the thread theme.
Well put and glad to see Mora today at my CT HS ( Windsor), since we've put about 6 kids in the NFL in the last decade or so, only 1 that went to Uconn.

Reaction Score
Just a thought: Coach Mora has hired Marinelli, which should help with recruiting in Fairfield County. Now that Jay Rose has used up his eligibility, I wonder if HCJM would offer him a graduate assistant position to help with recruiting the Central Ct.-Greater Hartford area where he was a high school star. I have no insight as to Jay's future plans, but it seems like a seamless fit.
I have a feeling the DC will have ties to Ct.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not him but another NfL coach

I know there was a recent coaching change at UF and they have a person with strong ties to CT and has been a coach in NFL for years. Could help shore up in-state recruiting if HS coaches find him acceptable.

Reaction Score
To identify the keys to our future recruiting success is to look back to where we were during our peak right before HCRE1.0 bailed in the dark of night. Here is a rough starting lineup from our 2010 BE Championship team roster for reference:

QBZach FrazerPADETrevardo WilliamsCT
RBJordan TodmanMADTKendall ReyesNH
FBAnthony ShermanMADTShamar StephenNY
WRGeremy DavisGADEGreg LloydFL
WRKashif MooreNJLBScott LutrusCT
TERyan GriffinNHLBSio MooreNC
LTMike RyanPALBLawrence WilsonAL
LGSteve GreenePASJerome JuniorMD
CMoe PetrusCanSByron JonesCT
RGZach HurdCTCBDwayne GratzNJ
RTJimmy BennettVACBBlidi Wreh-WilsonPA
KDave TeggartMA
PCole WagnerPA
KRNick WilliamsNJ

At that time we were a Program that was Top 20-30. That is a very solid roster as many went on to NFL careers. Here is a rough breakdown of that lineup (and probably pretty representative of what our recruiting profile should look like going forward):

Connecticut - 4
Rest of New England - 5
NY/NJ - 4
PA - 5
MD/VA - 2
South - 4
Canada - 1

The other thing that makes that 2010 roster so successful and got us to the Fiesta Bowl was our coaches. Our OC was Joe Moorhead and our DC was Todd Orlando. The impact of having those young coaches as stud Coordinators cannot be overlooked.

Recruiting back to that level should get us back to a Program in the Top 30-50 range. Want to get back to the Top 25? That would entail getting enhanced National and Northeast recruiting from the Mora cache and contacts. Or heck, even just getting a few more CT recruits could get us there (especially with the recent rise of New England private school football).

For reference, here is a quick list of just some of the 3-4 star recruits from CT during the time that would have been on that 2010 roster (along with their CT high school and eventual school choice):

Andre JonesAvon Old FarmsCBBC
Willie HarriottHyde New HavenCBPenn St
Aairon SavageWestover MiddleburyCBAuburn
Asaph SchwappWeaverFBNotre Dame
Matt ShaugnessyNFADEWisconsin
Dan CasconeNewtownDTWisconsin
Chris BakerWindsorDTPenn St
Bruce CampbellHyde New HavenOTMaryland
Damik ScafeWindsorDTBC
John MoffittNotre Dame WHOGWisconsin
Amari SpieveyXavierCBIowa
Nate CollinsKing & Low StamfordDEVirginia
Aaron HernandezBristol CentralTEFlorida
Dan MulrooneyHoly Cross WbySBoston College
Torrey MackStratfordRBVirginia
Masengo KabongoFairfield PrepDTMaryland
Michael CoxAvon Old FarmsRBMichigan
Mike Golic JrNW CatholicOCNotre Dame
Marcus CooperBloomfieldWRRutgers
Jordan ReedNew LondonTEFlorida
Joshua AdamsCheshire AcademyWRUNC
Andre LawrenceHartford PublixLBBC
Mark HarisonBunnell StratfordWRRutgers
Kevin RoyalBrunswick GreenwichWRVirginia
We get an additional 2-3 kids from that list each year, we can get to that potential Top 25 season.

Just taking a quick look at when we were successful will show us how we build this thing back on the recruiting front. Combine that with the right coaching, we have our path to resurrection.
Thank you sir - this post should be pinned somehow. Our program was once solid, it is now in the gutter. We need to get back to what made us solid - recruiting the fertile recruiting grounds around here. Pour every resource into building relationships and scouting players in the Connecticut, Virginia, New Jersey, Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio. All of the northeast. Canada. Focus on the prep schools as well as the high schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ahhh ... you touching a lot of bases in that post.

Like? The raw nerve that the Aaron Hernandez recruitment was ... and remains. That static look is understating how important Florida has been for UCONN. We had more PA ... and that seems to lessened during Diaco HCRE 2.0. Some smatterings of Texas arrived. NH produced two incredible kids; and that is just a real wonderment.

It will be interesting going forward. NOTE: Prep schools was not a big deal 12 years ago.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Thank you sir - this post should be pinned somehow. Our program was once solid, it is now in the gutter. We need to get back to what made us solid - recruiting the fertile recruiting grounds around here. Pour every resource into building relationships and scouting players in the Connecticut, Virginia, New Jersey, Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio. All of the northeast. Canada. Focus on the prep schools as well as the high schools.
What’s nuts is like that 2010 roster almost all of those kids had shots in the NFL/tryouts/CFL, etc too.

Reaction Score
What’s nuts is like that 2010 roster almost all of those kids had shots in the NFL/tryouts/CFL, etc too.
It’s crazy. There are a lot of very good three stars in the areas mentioned - that’s where the staff need to be vigilant, can build a solid program that way.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just caught up on this. I'm impressed that Mora is moving so quickly. He's a man that seems to have a plan and is executing it aggressively, with the help of AD DB. No reports about getting reqs out in the state system, no hang-ups. This is all going so smoothly for UConn football, that seems unusual.

Reaction Score
Well, since rumor is we got Gus Bradleys kid to transfer here and play qb; let’s go with Gus Bus as DC rumor!
lol this is not a rumor that he's coming here. I just noticed that he was transferring and that he held a UConn offer out of HS

Reaction Score
Just caught up on this. I'm impressed that Mora is moving so quickly. He's a man that seems to have a plan and is executing it aggressively, with the help of AD DB. No reports about getting reqs out in the state system, no hang-ups. This is all going so smoothly for UConn football, that seems unusual.
I think a lot of this was hashed out with DB with that multiple day interview they had in Idaho. But it definitely shows Mora has attention to detail and plan moving forward. I don't remember a coach doing the things he has done so far, ever.

Reaction Score
We are all older and lacking memory capacity

But HCRE came in with Lashlee + Crocker ... and his standard Entourage. Kids were from his prior UCONN connection (incl his kid) + Terry Richardson then Perkins. The recruits were winding them up ... from old relationships.

The MODERN CFB world is changing with the Portal ... and the fact that WE have no time to pussyfoot. Mora - like he had to at UCLA - has to be decisive and tough. UCLA has a reputation as a soft nepotism laden Team. And maybe we can thread that through the last 3 coaching regimes. Mora is about throwing the tables against walls and starting from the concrete up.

Reaction Score
Yep, we in Connecticut almost panic when things go too smoothly.

Reaction Score
I'd like to know the level of fan interest and social media engagement during this process as opposed to prior changes. It seems there is far more interest and engagement now than in prior years. The Boneyard may be able to provide some stats and it just feels like casual fans are far more engaged. Coach Mora certainly brings a high level of interest in name and actions.

Reaction Score
I'd like to know the level of fan interest and social media engagement during this process as opposed to prior changes. It seems there is far more interest and engagement now than in prior years. The Boneyard may be able to provide some stats and it just feels like casual fans are far more engaged. Coach Mora certainly brings a high level of interest in name and actions.
Happens every coaching change (obviously social media is more prevelent than the Edsall>PP hire)…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom