Jim Christian out @ Boston College | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Jim Christian out @ Boston College

Reaction Score
My daughter went there and they certainly have a fan base. Hockey is their sport though and you wouldn't want to mix it up with my 9 year old twin Grandson's on who owns the Beanpot!!! They like football but more for the tailgates. BC alums still reflect on BC/AD or Boston College after Doug. Huge amount of alum money resulted in big expansion of the campus, kind of like UCONN and Y2K (which actually meant UConn/1999).
Yeah, you just said what I said. There isn't a wide following of BC sports in the Boston area outside of alums. I live here. I'm a huge sports fan and most of my friends are, including some BC alums. I think I have a very good perspective on that view.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you just said what I said. There isn't a wide following of BC sports in the Boston area outside of alums. I live here. I'm a huge sports fan and most of my friends are, including some BC alums. I think I have a very good perspective on that view.
Living in Boston for an extended period, including a few minute walk from BCU, clearly your fact-based assessment is spot on regarding the overwhelming majority of the Boston metro population's couldn't give a sh|t about BCU.

Reaction Score
My daughter went there and they certainly have a fan base. Hockey is their sport though and you wouldn't want to mix it up with my 9 year old twin Grandson's on who owns the Beanpot!!! They like football but more for the tailgates. BC alums still reflect on BC/AD or Boston College after Doug. Huge amount of alum money resulted in big expansion of the campus, kind of like UCONN and Y2K (which actually meant UConn/1999).
Happy to mix it up with your grandchildren:
1613685016405.png

Hockey is BC's best sport from a competitive standpoint, but it is not their #1 sport. That is football by a country mile.

That said, there's a solid case that basketball is their 3rd most popular sport behind hockey. BC basketball is a complete dud, literally no one here cares.

Pitino is exactly who they need to inject life into the program. If for no other reason than it will draw loads of curiosity. The Boston sports media would eat up the idea of chatting with him after every game.

Reaction Score
BC is never hiring Pitino. They prefer a pristine appearance above all else.

Yet it'll be interesting if they take a 3rd swing at a coach trying to build a program the RIGHT way vs someone who might push against the administration to be more competitive. Tricky Rick is a full 180, ain't happening.

Reaction Score
BC is never hiring Pitino. They prefer a pristine appearance above all else.

Yet it'll be interesting if they take a 3rd swing at a coach trying to build a program the RIGHT way vs someone who might push against the administration to be more competitive. Tricky Rick is a full 180, ain't happening.
"Pristine?" Didn't they get caught cheating? Playing for the Mob - ESPN Films: 30 for 30

Reaction Score
I would love to see Pitino in the Big East (Providence). A big part of the success of the old Big East was big name coaches that fans loved to hate.
Yes he is a perfect fit for all the Jesuit schools and he could also be an asset in the class room. He could teach a course on how to properly tip your waitress after dinner. Something simple to not distract from his basketball duties.

BC sucks because there is no compelling reason for them not to suck.
But, but we're talking a Jesuit school here!
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
Also add to that is it's a private school. There's really no large following of BC sports in Boston. Just alums of BC. I don't know know anyone who didn't go there who is a big fan of their teams.

As I write this I'm thinking of Villanova. Similar profile in a large city with a fervent pro sports following. Does Villanova have a big general sports fan following in the Philly area? If so is that just recently because of their success the last few years?
Villanova definitely has a following of people that didn't go there all throughout eastern PA. I wouldn't say they're putting Villanova flags outside their house, but they'll tune into most games and root for 'nova. When I was growing up in eastern PA (90's - 2000's) lots of kids wore Villanova gear and followed the team and didn't have family members that went there.

From my experience, people in eastern PA with college sports generally go Penn State for football and Villanova for basketball.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Villanova definitely has a following of people that didn't go there all throughout eastern PA. I wouldn't say they're putting Villanova flags outside their house, but they'll tune into most games and root for 'nova. When I was growing up in eastern PA (90's - 2000's) lots of kids wore Villanova gear and followed the team and didn't have family members that went there.

From my experience, people in eastern PA with college sports generally go Penn State for football and Villanova for basketball.

I had a bunch of family in eastern PA and this is pretty much spot on. Plenty of Villanova basketball fans who have no ties to the university.

Reaction Score
And the BC exodus begins:

6'2 junior is averaging 13.3 ppg on 40.8 fg& and 39.7 3p%.

After Tabbs' departure, BC with only 7 scholarship players entering 21-22.
Tabbs to ECU.

It's fun to knock the AAC, however I gotta give props to Joe Dooley and the hauls he's brought in over the last three years. Between Charles Coleman in '19, Noah Farrakhan in '20, and Alexis Reyes in '21 those are three solid recruits from the northeast. Their 131 KenPom is their best since 2013.

Reaction Score
Tabbs to ECU.

It's fun to knock the AAC, however I gotta give props to Joe Dooley and the hauls he's brought in over the last three years. Between Charles Coleman in '19, Noah Farrakhan in '20, and Alexis Reyes in '21 those are three solid recruits from the northeast. Their 131 KenPom is their best since 2013.
Wonder if ECU will soon challenge Houston if their recent recruiting success continues?

On an aside, I looked at the BC fan site, and it seems to merge all their sports on the one site. The posters seem pretty objective or resigned to the current and historical funk of their BB team. Some coach bashing against Christian. UConn would never tolerate 7 years of futility.

I remember Burr Carlson lasting just 2 years, especially after a putrid 1968-69, 5-19 season (his last season).

Not a lot of the intense feeling shown on the BY. Maybe, they accept the situation as it is. Good articles on evaluating their coaching prospects to succeed Christian.

Well, at least they have hockey to cheer about.

Reaction Score
What am I missing here? ECU is terrible and so is their recruiting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom