Jeff waltz has something to say | The Boneyard

Jeff waltz has something to say

Reaction Score
I've met him once and that's exactly what he's like.........enthusiastic and charming..........still going to pick on him for recruiting 8th graders though!!

My daughter applied for an assistant coaching position. He knew he wasn’t going to give her an interview but called her and gave her some pretty good advice. Made me respect him a whole lot

Reaction Score
Listen, I get that this year’s iteration of UConn has seen a lot of streaks come to an end, but the media has certainly been trying to put UConn in a grave well before this year. The constant “is UConn over?!?!” after every non-perfect/non-National championship year is absurd.

That said, I love that coaches are coming out and giving praise to UConn. In the same way Geno praised Pat and Tennessee (yes, he had plenty of jabs at them during the peak of their rivalry), other coaches are recognizing the greatness that is Geno (and CD) and UConn. These past few weeks have given me entirely new perspectives on other coaches, teams, and players as they show their true colors. I certainly have a lot of respect coaches like Dawn and Jeff.

Reaction Score
Jeff is my favorite non-UConn coach since Gary Blair retired. I’d love to have a beer with him.
I went up and introduced myself to Jeff at the Final Four in Nashville. We were at a bar and he was with his people. I shook his hand and told him he was my favorite coach not named Geno. He was very gracious. I think he gets as much out of his talent as any coach in women’s basketball.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I like Jeff. Down to earth class guy. Happy we are playing them again in the regular season.

And he is correct, we should be celebrating a program of excellence. The UConn streaks are unbeleivable, mind blowing!!

Reaction Score
Listen, I get that this year’s iteration of UConn has seen a lot of streaks come to an end, but the media has certainly been trying to put UConn in a grave well before this year. The constant “is UConn over?!?!” after every non-perfect/non-National championship year is absurd.

That said, I love that coaches are coming out and giving praise to UConn. In the same way Geno praised Pat and Tennessee (yes, he had plenty of jabs at them during the peak of their rivalry), other coaches are recognizing the greatness that is Geno (and CD) and UConn. These past few weeks have given me entirely new perspectives on other coaches, teams, and players as they show their true colors. I certainly have a lot of respect coaches like Dawn and Jeff.
I agree although you have to admit it's a lot easier to praise a team after it starts losing a bit as opposed to after it's been winning everything....;)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

I'd also like to believe that coaches now realize that when they bring each other up, rather than tear down, it helps the whole sport. Framing UConn in a "wow, aren't those streaks amazing, can you imagine how hard it was to do that" vs "UConn's losses, or UConn's streaks are bad for the sport" is a better way to bring more folks in. Petty spats contrived by the media does nothing for the sport, and I think Jeff and Dawn, among others, get it.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of the streaks UCONN had were a burden they had to carry. That burden is gone and they can now focus on being a good team and not have to answer questions about the amazing accomplishments of UCONN Women's basketball. All really successful coaches respect and admire other coaches who are high character and win games too. Geno has done both for a very long time and Jeff is one of the up and comers of the sport.

Reaction Score
Always liked Walz. Seems like a really good dude.
Yes, I'm glad someone said this because all I'm hearing from the press is the end of UConn's dynasty-- and they are exulting SC for their undefeated season and win streak. So they only need about 70 more consecutive wins to match UConn's streak and 5 more undefeated seasons to equal the Huskies...

Reaction Score

kind of sounds like a eulogy as if UConn's best days are behind it..........that's fine with me because next year if the injury gods are with them, UConn is going to make a lot of coaches very uneasy again......

Reaction Score
Jeff Walz has earned his spot as one of the great coaches in WCBB. He was a bit flaky, his mustache is, well, not a fashion statement. He has over-recruited in the past, loading his bench with players he knew he wouldn't be playing. Yet year after year, his teams have demonstrated that they're not a fluke (the defeat of Baylor). They are tremendously talented, and very well coached.

Hats off to him.

Reaction Score
What I respect about him is that he seems to genuinely care about his players, his team and women's basketball. He routinely schedules games across the country so his players can play in front of family and friends, he will schedule tough regional teams, like Middle Tennessee and Belmont away to give them exposure and he is always willing to take on UCONN (on the schedule again next year) so his team gets to play against and see how they measure up against one of the best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom