Jeff Jacobs: UConn’s new baseball diamond, Elliott Ballpark, sparkles like few others | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: UConn’s new baseball diamond, Elliott Ballpark, sparkles like few others

Reaction Score

Alternate reading link here <-

-> As Penders gave a tour of the new ballpark — home opener scheduled for March 23 against Central Connecticut — workers were lowering the scoreboard behind the right-center field fence. “David (Benedict) thought it was too small,” Penders said. “They’re bringing in a bigger scoreboard.” <-

-> “We went from one of the worst facilities in college baseball to one of the best,” Penders said. “I pinch myself every day. It’s a new neighborhood.” <-

->“I’ve been coming here my entire life and I didn’t know there was an entire hill tucked into that tree line,” Penders said, pointing across the outfield. To host NCAA regional tournaments there will be an area to put in more stands, yet it is the giant berm that surrounds the field that will allow thousands to sit in the sun. Blankets. Lawn chairs. Cornhole. Fire pits. Beer will be sold. The berm should be a hit. “It’s going to be awesome,” Penders said. “And on days when no one is out there, the park won’t look empty. It’ll just be a natural berm. When the sun sets and the only thing illuminated are the trees in bloom, it’s unbelievably beautiful. It’s humbling.” <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom