2023 Recruiting: - Jayden Ross Visit 6/14 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Jayden Ross Visit 6/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Gonna assume the staff just got good news.

Attachments

• 41C237DB-6C51-4B34-BDD3-F8566CD1CD5C.png
    41C237DB-6C51-4B34-BDD3-F8566CD1CD5C.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 667
Reaction Score
Is he the reclass #12 scholarship? Or do we have another player committing in the next couple weeks?
Yeah, someone asked if he was reclass eligible which is a great question. My hunch is this is the guy for #12 but we probably bring along slowly and MAYBE redshirt.

Reaction Score
Trending in a great way.. Does Ross take Middleton out of play?? Or do they have complimentary skill sets that can co-exist??

Reaction Score
Trending in a great way.. Does Ross take Middleton out of play?? Or do they have complimentary skill sets that can co-exist??
Ross is a developmental guy so don't think he'll take anyone out of the equation. Would just mean we're not gonna add multiple top 40-50 wings which seemed like a long shot anyway

Reaction Score
1. He wants to play for UConn
2. Hurley wants him to play for UConn

I stopped getting hyped about recruit's tape after Anglin. The last three picks in the draft were ranked 334, 89, and 129 in the 2020 class so I'm not worried about the #136 player.
And that’s great, but from the limited tape out there on him (and his Eybl stats) there are a lot of question marks if he were to take the spot of some of the other 23 kids we are after. Again if this is a reclass developmental play that’s fine (even though Hurleys track record of keeping players around that don’t play is questionable at best) and Hurley’s high school recruiting has not been his strength.

Reaction Score
Both Ross and Middleton remind me of Sid Wilson. Slight builds, open floor game, athletic attributes, apparently only average shooters, apparently only average handle, numerous areas that need improvement. Middleton would seem to have a better resolve to play defense. Ross would seem to exactly match the 'development guy' label Hurley has mentioned. I saw Sid play a bunch of times for Brewster so I know he had an upside he could have achieved and I always had hope for him. Evidently our coaches see something they like with these similar skill sets.

Reaction Score
Seems to be a solid overall player that is on the rise. Not extremely athletic but knows how to play the game intuitively. Fills the driving lane, recognizes the passing lanes, has an assortment of scoring levels, and has a quick release on the long ball when contested. Definitely a development player that could turn into an impact player a couple years after hitting a college campus. Definitely will be interested to see his development whether he becomes a Husky or not.

Reaction Score
And that’s great, but from the limited tape out there on him (and his Eybl stats) there are a lot of question marks if he were to take the spot of some of the other 23 kids we are after. Again if this is a reclass developmental play that’s fine (even though Hurleys track record of keeping players around that don’t play is questionable at best) and Hurley’s high school recruiting has not been his strength.

You maybe want to wait a few more days before you continue just saying any old thing. And, this staff’s recruiting of high school players, especially as the program has improved, is more than fine. Also, most players that don’t play are not the ones you want to keep around. Weird thing to base any kind of argument on.

“You can’t go into the season with multiple spots open! You have to get a developmental 12th guy!”
“No! Not him!”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You maybe want to wait a few more days before you continue just saying any old thing. And, this staff’s recruiting of high school players, especially as the program has improved, is more than fine. Also, most players that don’t play are not the ones you want to keep around. Weird thing to base any kind of argument on.

“You can’t go into the season with multiple spots open! You have to get a developmental 12th guy!”
“No! Not him!”

So I’m confused then. Do you think he will be an impact player or a developmental player? Because by your logic, if he dosent play, we won’t want to keep him around.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
T
The entire roster can’t be top 50 recruits. You gotta take shots on developmental guys in the 100-150 range to fill out the roster. Worst case scenario he isn’t good enough and transfers after his freshman year anyways.

Reaction Score
T

The entire roster can’t be top 50 recruits. You gotta take shots on developmental guys in the 100-150 range to fill out the roster. Worst case scenario he isn’t good enough and transfers after his freshman year anyways.
Exactly. So long as he isn’t a locker room issue (and with Hurley I don’t really worry about recruiting kids with the wrong attitudes), it’s a zero-lose game. Three outcomes would be: he’s a diamond in the rough and develops into a key player; he’s a bench option that maybe sees some rotation time further down the road and is a good locker room guy; or he transfers out after a year or two and we have another shot at filling the scholarship with a piece that fits better. No harm, no foul.

I was initially skeptical too but from reading some of these posts and the optimism I’ve been talked into it.

Reaction Score
T

And I’m good with that as long as he isn’t taking the spot of another 23 kid. It’s really early in the recruiting cycle to be taking shots on developmental kids.

Reaction Score
I love the staff’s philosophy of getting recruits in early and letting them develop in the system for a year before playing a meaningful game. A guy like Castle can probably come in and be a major contributor right away without needed that extra semester or two of development (although I’m expecting that will still happen in January), but to get a low 100s ranked guy practicing with a top 20 team for an entire year is how you develop him into a top 50 “freshman” by the time you unleash him in November 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom