Jay Wright expects UConn to be ‘even better’ as Huskies shoot for NCAA Tournament | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jay Wright expects UConn to be ‘even better’ as Huskies shoot for NCAA Tournament

Reaction Score
It just always seemed too convenient, and it didn’t seem plausible that Lappas would leave Villanova to go to UMass. I assumed Lappas was either secretly bought out or at a minimum told he would be let go at the end of his contract. I guess it was just Villanova luck with a dash of typical Rutgers luck (the RU Screw as they call it)!

Lappas wanted an extension (you can't recruit with a one-year deal) and the school said no. It was clear they had no long-term plans around him, but he hadn't been quite lousy enough to fire. They knew that not offering him an extension was going to lead to him potentially leaving, so I don't think it's a stretch to say they pushed him out.

Reaction Score
Jay Wright just fits in at Villanova. The main line is definitely his thing. I can't imagine him going to Kentucky after living on the main line this long. Culture shock.
A friend of mine knows Jay Wright and Jay Wright calls my friend's dad (recently turned 97) every once in a while to check in on him...Jay is just a great guy. He's told me the door is open for Jay coaching in the NBA but it's a real longshot, he'll never leave Nova for another college job.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They knew that not offering him an extension was going to lead to him potentially leaving, so I don't think it's a stretch to say they pushed him out.
A good nudge at least. Seemed clear that the partnership had run it's course.

Reaction Score
That’s not quite the history. Lappas was not forced out. He was worried he would not get the extension he wanted so he jumped to UMass. There was actually, reportedly, a bit of an effort to retain Lappas. With Lappas leaving the timing was perfect to consider Jay, who was already considering Rutgers.
It wasn’t as much a master plan move as you indicate.
Nova was lucky that Lappas felt insecure and proactively sought a new home.
Nova was lucky that its AD couldn’t persuade Lappas to stay.
Nova was lucky with the timing, that Jay had ties to Nova, and that Jay wanted Nova.
Jay was young and it wasn’t a high profile hire.
Nova was lucky that Jay proved out to be a great coach that developed from good to great over time.
Nova was lucky to get Jay and is lucky to have Jay.
Nova is fortunate that Jay is mature and sees what he has in career and family in the Main Line and has preferred that to going to the NBA or Kentucky or UCLA.
It’s good to be lucky.
It better to lucky than good

Reaction Score
It just always seemed too convenient, and it didn’t seem plausible that Lappas would leave Villanova to go to UMass. I assumed Lappas was either secretly bought out or at a minimum told he would be let go at the end of his contract. I guess it was just Villanova luck with a dash of typical Rutgers luck (the RU Screw as they call it)!
I think Lappas would have had his contract extended, but the process was uncertain and he didn’t get the warm feelings of an extension in advance on his terms.
He wasn’t secretly bought out.
There was some effort to keep him, reportedly.
I think he was looking for some more security than a year by year extension with some pressure. Pressure was weak by other programs’ standards, but still some pressure to succeed.
More than a strategic move and Nova pulling all the right levers, Nova was lucky in how the transition unfolded and how Wright grew into a top coach.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
A friend of mine knows Jay Wright and Jay Wright calls my friend's dad (recently turned 97) every once in a while to check in on him...Jay is just a great guy. He's told me the door is open for Jay coaching in the NBA but it's a real longshot, he'll never leave Nova for another college job.
Jay Wright is one of those guys I've heard nothing but good things about. Then again so was KO

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
They were talking to Wright while Pappas still had the job.

Reaction Score
Big East coaches, in general, go out of their way to talk up the teams in their conference. They go hard selling the conference... it’s annoying when you’re on the outside looking in but suddenly much more tolerable when you’re in (funny how that works...).

Dan does well with the current scenario... “yeah, people are saying you’re good, but what have we actually done? Nothing!“ It suits him.

Big East coaches talk up competitors and the league. Willard said that Nova is the number 1 team in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom