It's Time to let Akok play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's Time to let Akok play

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Akok hasn't shown anything yet in his limited minutes

Reaction Score
Article in the New Haven Register today. He's just not ready.

“It’s a fine line,” Hurley said. “He wants to play, we want him to play. But less than a year from an Achilles is a tough situation. We’re gonna really have to just try to develop him in practice and get him in a place where, maybe, he can help us at some point this year — but really building throughout this year into the summer, into the preseason, for a big second year.”

Alternate free access: Akok Akok is back playing games for UConn, but his work is far from over

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The only one most were clearly correct on was Giffey, who should probably have been starting for most of 14, instead of only the last handful of games.

Didn't seem to hurt the team at all - why screw with chemistry?
That's right - it's who was the coach
Many thought Anderson and Gwynn should have started
If Akok proves he is back 100% and ready I am sure he will get the burn he deserves
When he started he was not in there long due to fouls - that has to change
The two headed monster of Sanogo/Akok will be a handful most teams

I'm not convinced he will get the burn he deserves. I think Hurley is just not willing to play two bigs for an entire game. Let alone three. Akok should be getting a lot of Polley's minutes even now. Whaley should never be in the game as a 5 without a rim protector at the 4.

Reaction Score
Article in the New Haven Register today. He's just not ready.

“It’s a fine line,” Hurley said. “He wants to play, we want him to play. But less than a year from an Achilles is a tough situation. We’re gonna really have to just try to develop him in practice and get him in a place where, maybe, he can help us at some point this year — but really building throughout this year into the summer, into the preseason, for a big second year.”

Alternate free access: Akok Akok is back playing games for UConn, but his work is far from over
It's not surprising...this is a major injury

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I know we are talking limited minutes he has played, but it is clear he is not ready yet. He has work to do and we all know he likes that challenge. His timing is still off and it does not look like he fully trusts be is 100% yet, just what my eyes have seen. Get his minutes and work in practice and slowly bring him along to the 15-20 min range.

Reaction Score
He has a lot of rust to shake off. In his limited minutes he's gotten beaten off the dribble at will. If he's not giving you that elite defense there isn't much reason to have him out there at this point.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He has a lot of rust to shake off. In his limited minutes he's gotten beaten off the dribble at will. If he's not giving you that elite defense there isn't much reason to have him out there at this point.

He seemed to have good hops on the drive and dish to him for a dunk against DePaul(??). It's not unexpected he is lacking lateral quickness as he fully recovers. But I believe he is still a good rim protector.

What we are seeing this year is Hurley keeping his system and hoping he has enough players to play in his system instead of finding a system that maximizes what his players can do for him this year. Akok shouldn't be trying to guard someone for 20 feet from the three point line to the rim. He should be closer to the basket where he can be effective.

Reaction Score
Give it time the bounce we saw when healthy last year is noticeably missing for now. He will get it back but he needs to be able to positively impact a team which is already without its best player. Adding players not quite ready is not the formula, his time will come hopefully this year at some point.

Reaction Score
He seemed to have good hops on the drive and dish to him for a dunk against DePaul(??). It's not unexpected he is lacking lateral quickness as he fully recovers. But I believe he is still a good rim protector.

What we are seeing this year is Hurley keeping his system and hoping he has enough players to play in his system instead of finding a system that maximizes what his players can do for him this year. Akok shouldn't be trying to guard someone for 20 feet from the three point line to the rim. He should be closer to the basket where he can be effective.
^^ this. Find something that gives you the best chance to keep your best players on the floor. Just win.

Reaction Score
I'm still very comfortable with the minutes everyone is playing. Coaching staff is doing solid. I'm even ok with the Sanogo episode against St John's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom