It's Time to let Akok play | The Boneyard

It's Time to let Akok play

Reaction Score
He just played a couple minutes in his first 2 games back. I understand and agree with limiting his minutes but nobody is going to be able to get in a rhythm or have time to do almost anything positive by playing 2-3 minutes. Also, he's been fully participating in these extreme 2+ hour practices lately which are more likely to result in an injury than playing 15 minutes in a game. It's time to unleash Akok. .

Reaction Score
He can play his way onto the court.
From my understanding Sanogo earned his starting role in practice.
I understand this reasoning. Sanogo has outplayed Akok Akok and therefore Akok Akok needs to “earn” back his playing time. However, I think it ignores the fact that Akok is coming back from a devastating injury and needs to gain confidence that his body has recovered. If we are going to count on him at all against tougher Big East opponents Akok needs to be confident in both his health and his game. You can only get that from game action reps.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
Dunno, I'm still in the camp of waiting. If physically he's not ready to go full-on and mentally he's not over the injury then he will favor other parts of the body that aren't injured to compensate. That's how new injuries form. We're 7-1, this is not panic mode. Preserve our assets and get them stronger before throwing them into reckless game scenarios where anything can happen. If we skid a few games then maybe reevaluate the situation but we still have plenty of weapons and young players that need court time as we to prepare for March.

Now if he's fully healthy and completely cleared by the medical staff to go 100% then he absolutely should be logging closer to 10 minutes a game, as long as he produces to warrant it.

Reaction Score
As we've seen with Tyler Phommachanh, it takes time to trust your body after a significant injury...and Akok's injury was much worse than an ACL....when he shows he's ready, I'm sure DH will use him. With the style of play St John's uses, today might be the day!

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
You either trust the coach or you don't.

I've seen a few hundred "so and so should get more playing time" over the last 20 years or so on this site, and virtually all, after JC was sick and the assistant played said guy, ended with, no, no he shouldn't.

The only one most were clearly correct on was Giffey, who should probably have been starting for most of 14, instead of only the last handful of games.

Trust the coach. He knows exactly when the team should play with Akok.

Reaction Score
Dunno, I'm still in the camp of waiting. If physically he's not ready to go full-on and mentally he's not over the injury then he will favor other parts of the body that aren't injured to compensate. That's how new injuries form. We're 7-1, this is not panic mode. Preserve our assets and get them stronger before throwing them into reckless game scenarios where anything can happen. If we skid a few games then maybe reevaluate the situation but we still have plenty of weapons and young players that need court time as we to prepare for March.

Now if he's fully healthy and completely cleared by the medical staff to go 100% then he absolutely should be logging closer to 10 minutes a game, as long as he produces to warrant it.
He's fully healthy and completely cleared by the medical staff to go 100% for at least a couple of weeks now.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The only one most were clearly correct on was Giffey, who should probably have been starting for most of 14, instead of only the last handful of games.

Didn't seem to hurt the team at all - why screw with chemistry?
That's right - it's who was the coach
Many thought Anderson and Gwynn should have started
If Akok proves he is back 100% and ready I am sure he will get the burn he deserves
When he started he was not in there long due to fouls - that has to change
The two headed monster of Sanogo/Akok will be a handful most teams

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Didn't seem to hurt the team at all - why screw with chemistry?
If Omar Calhoun continued to start and get minutes, we don't have 4. If Kromah continued to start and get minutes, we don't have 4.

This is easy.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
As we've seen with Tyler Phommachanh, it takes time to trust your body after a significant injury...and Akok's injury was much worse than an ACL....when he shows he's ready, I'm sure DH will use him. With the style of play St John's uses, today might be the day!
I agree. He seems like the logical choice to defend the inside/outside threat of Champagnie.

Reaction Score
winning games is still the priority. if akok is a liability on the floor right now why would hurley force it?
polley is also coming back from injury but he's back to getting starters' minutes because he's been producing. each guy is a different story

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. The objective is to win
2. The coaches see the players in practice and know all the info on injury and rehab.
3. Let's trust the coaches who are most informed.

Reaction Score
He continues to look really bad. We all expected him to be rusty, but disappointing he’s a legit liability to play right now
i'm not disappointed i just feel so bad for him. it's hard to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom