It's time for the Big East to add Gonzaga. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's time for the Big East to add Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
Geography much? Lawrence, Kansas is closer to the rest of the Big East than Omaha, Nebraska. Not further.
Eh, relatively about the same. Check out a U.S. map. Omaha is actually 16 miles closer to Storrs than Lawrence is if you're driving.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You think adding Gonzaga will stop the power conferences?
Not stop, just make the case that if they tried to take it away from the NCAA that the Big East would make the cut.

This is way off and honestly you hope it never comes to fruition but it is certainly in the cards that the biggest schools either make so only P5 or whatever can play OR that non P5 can play but need to jump through extra hoops to qualify / add limitations for how many non P5 can make it etc.

The more elite programs in the Big East, the harder it would be to exclude from the "cut line."

I hope the NCAA Tournament never changes but you need to be prepared in case those with the power try to.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Not stop, just make the case that if they tried to take it away from the NCAA that the Big East would make the cut.

This is way off and honestly you hope it never comes to fruition but it is certainly in the cards that the biggest schools either make so only P5 or whatever can play OR that non P5 can play but need to jump through extra hoops to qualify / add limitations for how many non P5 can make it etc.

The more elite programs in the Big East, the harder it would be to exclude from the "cut line."

I hope the NCAA Tournament never changes but you need to be prepared in case those with the power try to.
If that’s your hope you are in for a rude awakening.

Reaction Score
As long as you have cable and sports packages, you will be spending more than a nickel on them. As long as you pay cable for ESPN and Fox you will be paying for them. My comment is simply that the super conferences will get all the money, the leftovers of the current P5 will get a middle amount, and the non football midmajors, like the Big East, will get even less.
That was my point… I’d drop them. They won’t get my money, and you’ll be surprised at how much legal action will take place to support me. Every state left out will make sure they aren’t contributing.

Reaction Score
Inch by inch Gonzaga gets better. Continually coming up short, but a case can be made they should just keep doing what they are doing.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Geography shouldn’t keep them out of the Big East, College Athletics is big business now. Just relocate the corporate headquarters of Gonzaga University (and its associated fan base) to North Carolina.

1657160760634.gif

Reaction Score
That was my point… I’d drop them. They won’t get my money, and you’ll be surprised at how much legal action will take place to support me. Every state left out will make sure they aren’t contributing.
This is hilariously out of touch in a thread filled with out of touch takes

Reaction Score
It doesn't but it does.

More teams in conference means more bids. Ecentually bids will turn in to wins and credits. Yea, more mouths to feed and distribute those credits but eventually quantity becomes a quality.
The P2 will breakaway and have their own BBall tournament in a few years so we won’t need to worry about them grabbing all of the bids in our tournament.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Eh, relatively about the same. Check out a U.S. map. Omaha is actually 16 miles closer to Storrs than Lawrence is if you're driving.
Pretty sure I'm the only one here who has driven it from CT (twice). Can confirm, it's a long drive. Omaha is about the same. Not sure if it's easier to fly to Omaha. Lawrence is roughly 45 minutes to an hour from the KC airport. Either way the difference is negligible.

Doesn't matter, they aren't joining the Big East.

Reaction Score
My question is what happens to the Gonzaga’s and Villanova’s (basketball only juggernauts) 15-20 years from now?

Do they have their own separate league? Are they still competing with the power conferences at all?
Juggernauts???

If you’re concerned about 15-20 years from now, just look at what they were doing 15-20 years ago for a frame of reference.

Gonzaga has had an incredible period of sustained excellence - 23 straight NCAA tournament bids, dating back to 1999 when they went to the Elite 8 and the first of 3 straight Sweet 16’s. They are no longer a Johnny-come-lately.

Villanova is another program with a long history of sustained excellence that goes beyond the past decade. In the first decade of this century, 2 Elite 8’s and a Final Four. In the ‘90’s, six tournament bids and 2 BE championships. In the ‘80’s, 4 Elite 8’s and a NC.

Reaction Score
Even if Gonzaga was in Seattle let alone Spokane it wouldn't be worth it. Heck, if they were in Denver still not worth it. No team should ever be added to the Big East from farther away than Omaha (Creighton) unless they're Kansas.

Mark Few ain't going to be there forever. Will they be worth it with him gone? Hard to tell -- but not worth adding to the BE regardless.
Fox will determine that, not you or I.

Curiously, the Gonzaga run of 23 straight tournaments was started by a different coach.

Reaction Score
Juggernauts???

If you’re concerned about 15-20 years from now, just look at what they were doing 15-20 years ago for a frame of reference.

Gonzaga has had an incredible period of sustained excellence - 23 straight NCAA tournament bids, dating back to 1999 when they went to the Elite 8 and the first of 3 straight Sweet 16’s. They are no longer a Johnny-come-lately.

Villanova is another program with a long history of sustained excellence that goes beyond the past decade. In the first decade of this century, 2 Elite 8’s and a Final Four. In the ‘90’s, six tournament bids and 2 BE championships. In the ‘80’s, 4 Elite 8’s and a NC.
Yes, all those accolades you just listed off is what makes them juggernauts. Not sure why you're questioning that description

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Curiously, the Gonzaga run of 23 straight tournaments was started by a different coach.

Few was AHC that 1st season and he recruited nearly all the players that UConn beat in the E8 - it was his team the following season. Few had more to do with the success of that 2018-2019 Gonzaga team than Munson.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Here we go again...Fisc has scooped a lot of the transfer news, but this might be above him:

Unfortunately this guy has a horrible track record.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom