It's Official: Shea Ralph Named Vanderbilt Coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It's Official: Shea Ralph Named Vanderbilt Coach

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Shea, baby, hubby with job in the east, Vandi in Tenn. does anyone else see this as a logistical problem? I think she has what it takes to be a head coach, if she goes I wish her all the luck. I just wonder how her family dynamics enter into this possibility.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
No
100% chance he resigns at Lowell to become her assistant.
One of the scenarios I thought of, you are 100% for his resignation if Shea gets the job. I think you are probably right, however I am a little hesitant to go all in as you have done.

Reaction Score
Because UConn assistant is way way higher on the prestige (and pay) scale than UMass Lowell head coach, let alone assistant.
I would imagine it would be difficult for a type A personality like a D1 head coach to leave a program that he’s in the middle of turning around. I understand that UConn is a much higher profile situation however this is his team that he’s in the middle of putting together. I wonder if he had other opportunities outside of Connecticut or if he settled for UMass Lowell because of Shea and her position at UConn If that’s the case he should go and be her associate head coach and make it a family rebuild. Either way not an easy decision. He recruited his kids to play for him at UMass Lowell.

Reaction Score
I would imagine it would be difficult for a type A personality like a D1 head coach to leave a program that he’s in the middle of turning around. I understand that UConn is a much higher profile situation however this is his team that he’s in the middle of putting together. I wonder if he had other opportunities outside of Connecticut or if he settled for UMass Lowell because of Shea and her position at UConn If that’s the case he should go and be her associate head coach and make it a family rebuild. Either way not an easy decision. He recruited his kids to play for him at UMass Lowell.
As opposed to helping/supporting your wife do a rebuild of a major program snd having your family be in one location?

I don’t get why this is even a question (and I’m sure they discussed this years ago).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Are there very more attractive jobs out there? They have money and a history of supporting WBB (admittedly I know nothing of the current situation). She's from the south and could do well there. And get paid.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Something I did not know: Shea's husband was an assistant at Vandy 2009-15 (under Melanie Balcomb).
Interesting.

The other top candidate for the job, Oregon's Mark Campbell, is married to a former player at Vanderbilt -- Ashley Smith.

Reaction Score
If Shea truly wants to be a HC, and I have never read anything to confirm that she does, this is her chance. If she stays and doesn't become the HC when Geno leaves she could be looking for a new job..most new coaches bring or hire their own assistants..Anyway we will know soon.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That's assuming she wants to be a HC. I'm not sure anyone knows that for sure. Just assumptions.
I agree - CD certainly had options, but she never saw the grass greener on the other side of the fence so she stayed at Uconn (thankfully) and I think has had both a successful and very rewarding career.

There is also the peter principle - people get promoted to their level of incompetence and then fired. I have known a few people who have turned down that next promotion, and been very happy in their lives. (And a few who accepted and were not so happy!)

Reaction Score
I think she’s gone she just recently followed @vandywbb on Twitter. Now the question is who takes her position.....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here is an article from last week discussing 10 people who might be candidates. Shea isn't one of them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I do not think that is a good family decision. It didn't work well for Rizzotti.
How so?

In any event, keep in mind that another option is his taking a men's position nearby.

1618266396147.png

Reaction Score
How so?

In any event, keep in mind that another option is his taking a men's position nearby.

View attachment 66773
He ended up stepping away to take care of the kids and the basketball team was never the same andcshe eventually was fired.

I just don't recommend life partners being business partners.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
If Shea is named HC, I wonder if she’ll reach out to Jasmine Lister to join her staff. Nothing like an alum on staff who understands both you and the culture to start rebuilding a program...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He ended up stepping away to take care of the kids and the basketball team was never the same andcshe eventually was fired.

I just don't recommend life partners being business partners.
He stepped away for 1 year but was back after that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom