It's a Brave New World in WBB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's a Brave New World in WBB

Reaction Score
Both Saniya and Gabby sported small tattoos, although they were required to cover them up with tape during games.
Saniya's small tattoo in her wrist is to memory her only brother Andrew committed suicide at age 20.

Reaction Score
Some of what is changing is just natural evolution. Magic Johnson was a 6’9” guard who could also score from under the basket and rebound. They just get bigger and more athletic every year. It’s not as much changing to a pro style game as it is seeing players who are bigger with Multiple abilities...who can shoot from anywhere, dribble against anyone, rebound with the best (and hopefully, make a freaking layup. ). What I see as the major change in the women’s game is the pure athletic ability of the players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Another aspect in the future direction of WBB, is the development of more and more players who can create their own offense. For UConn fans who love the beautiful symphony of movement and passing that always places the Huskies among the nation’s assist leaders, I understand the reluctance to accept the inevitable change that will promote more one-on-one isolation play.

The 2014-15 UConn team still holds the all time NCAA record with 828 assists, or 21+ per game. But if we look at each of the past 4 national semifinal losses by the Huskies, one pattern emerged. Good defensive teams took UConn out of their offense by not allowing easy backdoor cuts or wide open catch and shoot 3’s, forcing UConn to play a style they were both less comfortable with and less effective at.

Going forward, among all the many talents that Paige possesses, her wonderful ability to create her own shot is the most important, imo, whether it’s off a high ball screen or simply a straight isolation. Add in the fact that both Christyn and Evina are pretty good at putting the ball on the floor and getting to their mid-range jumper or all the way to the rim and that’s an excellent trio of players who are capable of creating their own offense.

Finally, there is the prospect of Azzi, maybe the best HS player I’ve ever seen at getting to her “spot” and scoring. Hardly a “catch and shoot” player, Azzi is one of only a handful of WBB players who is adept at creating space at the arc off the dribble without losing accuracy shooting the ball. Azzi is even better at creating her own shot from mid-range with a textbook jumper that is absolutely a thing of beauty.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
You must be too young to see Kara Wolters play.
Not at all. Saw Kara play her entire career. She was not a bruiser. She was 6' 7" and no team had anyone who could deal with her down low. Kara's game was all about position under the basket.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
And how many teams had/ have a Kalani Brown? Very very few. There is always going to be an exception.

Reaction Score
I think there will always be a place for dominant low post scorers, because when you have that, it is a great weapon for very high efficiency shots and getting teams in foul trouble. When combined with outside shooting talent, a big that requires double teaming is about the best thing that can happen for a deadly three point shooter.

Clearly position-less has evolved along with a greater emphasis on the three. I think the type of player that is being fazed out more, is the wing or guard that can't shoot the three. It used to be that you had to have at least one or two three point threats, but now positions 1-3 are expected to be good from there. If you have a quality player 1-3 that is not good from the three, teams may now try to compensate for that with a 4 that can, for example.

Trying to maximize low post scoring and spacing has made the need for a "second" low post scorer relatively less important as well, compared to an additional three point shooter. But having a low post option from somebody is still very important. As we can see with our own team, when Liv can't score down low against a top notch big, the rest of our offense stalls as well.

Reaction Score
At one of the FF pressers a reporter asked Geno how the WNBA had influenced WCBB. Geno took a somewhat different tack in his answer, talking about how the NBA had influenced WCBB and basketball in general. He spoke about “position-less” basketball and spreading the floor where everyone can shoot the 3. If you watch the NBA recently, that is primarily how the games are played. That style of play has certainly filtered into both MCBB as well as the WNBA, and it is slowly but surely making its way into WCBB as well,

You need look no further than the BE to see a bunch of teams who spread the floor and shoot 3’s. In the case of the BE, this strategy is as much out of necessity as anything else. Doug Bruno’s DePaul teams have largely dominated the conference as an early proponent of spreading the floor and shooting 3’s. In addition, other than UConn, the rest of the BE does not have the size or overall talent to grind it out every night like the SEC.

Beyond the BE, the number of teams that are moving in the direction of the “spread the floor, shoot the 3" offensive mindset is growing significantly. IMO, the most talented team to fully embrace this type of basketball is MD. The Sweet 16 battle between a MD team that wanted to run the floor and shoot 3’s and a TX team that walked the ball up the court, used the 30-second clock and pounded the ball inside was truly a battle between the future and the past. In that instance, the past prevailed. But it was probably the biggest upset of the Tournament.

UConn is not all the way there yet, but the 2016 team had 5 talented players who could all knock down 3’s, and there was no team in the country that came within 10 points of beating them. This year Geno surprised many by going largely with a 4-guard offense that worked particularly well up until Nika’s injury. After the AR game, when the Razorbacks swarmed Liv in the low post, UConn gravitated to an offense that often left the lane open for players to drive to the basket, cut backdoor or pick and roll, effectively spreading the floor.

As WBB continues to evolve in this direction, I think it will have a significant impact on personnel. While small. explosive guards like Crystal Dangerfield and Aari McDonald will always be around, top teams will put a premium on big guards and wings who can shoot it, attack the basket, defend out to the arc and battle in the post on defense if they get caught on a switch against a Big.

More significantly, I personally believe the days of dominant post players like Aaliyah Boston and Elissa Cunane are numbered. I grew up before the 3-pt shot, watching the titanic battles between Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell. In today’s NBA, Chamberlain and Russell would have to develop significantly different skillsets to be effective.

In WBB, players with size who can handle the ball and shoot it are increasingly prominent: Nalyssa Smith, Ashton Prechtel and hopefully Dorka Juhasz to name a few. The gold standard of course are players like Stewie and EDD. I know, great players like Stewie and EDD don’t grow on trees. But right now, there are literally thousands of tall young girls, dribbling a basketball wherever they go and practicing 3-pt shots until they can’t lift their arms. It’s a Brave New World in WBB.
Great topic!
I'd like to see the discussion go a layer deeper!
What's the reason for this evolution? I think it is simply because the shot behind the arc is worth 3 points as opposed to 2. Simple math. If you watched the Warrior-Celtics game yesterday (wildly entertaining!!), 2 pointers down the stretch lose that game.
Even more important than 3's in my opinion is getting stops. How many teams in the League would give up big talent for Marcus Smart. Rim protection is still at a premium. It may not relate to 3 point shooting, but it relates to stops. Russell would still be an MVP. He runs the floor, scores in the paint, rebounds, and protects the rim. With Tatum and Brown, two of the League's biggest young stars, playing brilliantly, the Celtics have played brutally inconsistently. They don't have a center. Not sure why Ainge won't make the move on a center.
Guards that can break down a defense with penetration are still critical in this "formula". Kemba getting healthy is 100% responsible for the Celtics' improved play of late. Rondo was a huge component in the latest Lakers success. Watch a Dallas Maverick's game and lock in on Luka Doncic (hard NOT to do). It's all about drive and pitch, with 3-4 players spread out at the 3-point line with some screening. LeBron James for that matter.
Last point: I don't think Geno's passing game utilized Danger. She could have done much more penetrating. KLS' last year could have been more effective. Geno couldn't get her open. Out

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
At one of the FF pressers a reporter asked Geno how the WNBA had influenced WCBB. Geno took a somewhat different tack in his answer, talking about how the NBA had influenced WCBB and basketball in general. He spoke about “position-less” basketball and spreading the floor where everyone can shoot the 3. If you watch the NBA recently, that is primarily how the games are played. That style of play has certainly filtered into both MCBB as well as the WNBA, and it is slowly but surely making its way into WCBB as well,

You need look no further than the BE to see a bunch of teams who spread the floor and shoot 3’s. In the case of the BE, this strategy is as much out of necessity as anything else. Doug Bruno’s DePaul teams have largely dominated the conference as an early proponent of spreading the floor and shooting 3’s. In addition, other than UConn, the rest of the BE does not have the size or overall talent to grind it out every night like the SEC.

Beyond the BE, the number of teams that are moving in the direction of the “spread the floor, shoot the 3" offensive mindset is growing significantly. IMO, the most talented team to fully embrace this type of basketball is MD. The Sweet 16 battle between a MD team that wanted to run the floor and shoot 3’s and a TX team that walked the ball up the court, used the 30-second clock and pounded the ball inside was truly a battle between the future and the past. In that instance, the past prevailed. But it was probably the biggest upset of the Tournament.

UConn is not all the way there yet, but the 2016 team had 5 talented players who could all knock down 3’s, and there was no team in the country that came within 10 points of beating them. This year Geno surprised many by going largely with a 4-guard offense that worked particularly well up until Nika’s injury. After the AR game, when the Razorbacks swarmed Liv in the low post, UConn gravitated to an offense that often left the lane open for players to drive to the basket, cut backdoor or pick and roll, effectively spreading the floor.

As WBB continues to evolve in this direction, I think it will have a significant impact on personnel. While small. explosive guards like Crystal Dangerfield and Aari McDonald will always be around, top teams will put a premium on big guards and wings who can shoot it, attack the basket, defend out to the arc and battle in the post on defense if they get caught on a switch against a Big.

More significantly, I personally believe the days of dominant post players like Aaliyah Boston and Elissa Cunane are numbered. I grew up before the 3-pt shot, watching the titanic battles between Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell. In today’s NBA, Chamberlain and Russell would have to develop significantly different skillsets to be effective.

In WBB, players with size who can handle the ball and shoot it are increasingly prominent: Nalyssa Smith, Ashton Prechtel and hopefully Dorka Juhasz to name a few. The gold standard of course are players like Stewie and EDD. I know, great players like Stewie and EDD don’t grow on trees. But right now, there are literally thousands of tall young girls, dribbling a basketball wherever they go and practicing 3-pt shots until they can’t lift their arms. It’s a Brave New World in WBB.
It's a brave new world in BB in general, and positionless BB is the rule. That is until the Association changes the lane and moves the 3 pt line. Then you may see a return to dominance of the big posts, the mid range shot, and the end to players like James Harden who depends on the 3 pt shot and fouls to make his game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I hope that women's college basketball never resembles the NBA. I like post play, defense and the intermediate game. I was a die hard Celtics fan until the game changed to be what it is now. I occasionally watch a little NBA and get bored extremely quickly. If the women's game evolves to look like the NBA, I'll probably start watching a local high school team.
Me too. I live in an NBA city, have little desire to see another NBA game. I watched the Chicago Loyola-Illinois debacle last month and found little to like. On the other hand, the UCLA/Gonzaga game was indeed interesting. And there was a lot to like in the men's final.

Reaction Score
It's a brave new world in BB in general, and positionless BB is the rule. That is until the Association changes the lane and moves the 3 pt line. Then you may see a return to dominance of the big posts, the mid range shot, and the end to players like James Harden who depends on the 3 pt shot and fouls to make his game.
James Harden relies on the absurd NBA interpretation of "travelling".

Reaction Score
That 2001-02 team also had 2 pretty good 3-pt shooters in the lineup, who are still knocking down shots in the W today.

Spreading the floor does not necessarily mean that games degenerate into 3-pt shooting contests. If you play a 5-out offense, the best teams will execute backdoor cuts, pick & rolls and will have players capable of putting the ball on the floor and attacking the basket if opponents overplay the perimeter.
Watch Hughes offense in Seattle, spread the floor leaves room for players like Clark, and Howard to drive for easy buckets. Las Vegas learned that lesson in the playoffs.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Watch Hughes offense in Seattle, spread the floor leaves room for players like Clark, and Howard to drive for easy buckets. Las Vegas learned that lesson in the playoffs.
:oops: Except Clark and Howard are gone, so you won't be able to watch that anymore. I'm still extremely bummed about that.

Reaction Score

Holy crap! Thinking about your post, I just saw the latest evolved creature. The Knicks- Pelicans game: Zion Williamson was bringing the ball up the floor. The Pels have Bledsoe and Ball to do that. What's it mean? Offenses starting from the wings versus the point. I would argue that that's what Geno did with Paige on the wing and Nika bringing it up.

Reaction Score
:oops: Except Clark and Howard are gone, so you won't be able to watch that anymore. I'm still extremely bummed about that.
They have enough young players like Lou and Ezi, who will fit well in the system. Russell has developed very nicely since going to Seattle. Getting Williams in the second round should help in the future.

Reaction Score
What's wrong with taking 7 steps without dribbling so you can get behind the 3 point arc?
Wow, there sure is a lot of "get off my lawn" attitude today. Apparently nobody saw the Celtics-Warriors game yesterday. Pure fun! Maybe the BY will go extinct too because of all of these changes to our game. Darn, I wish they had a jump ball after every score like Naismith called for. Darn shot clock, I miss those UVA- UNC games that ended up 8-7.
Sometimes it's not becoming to be so stodgy. It shows a lack of knowledge. (trying to be nice) The NBA is in a really good place right now. The playoffs are a month away and it should be fantastic.
I urge you to watch a game and Covid willing actually go to a game. An NBA game, especially playoff game is truly an event! Give it a try.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They have enough young players like Lou and Ezi, who will fit well in the system. Russell has developed very nicely since going to Seattle. Getting Williams in the second round should help in the future.
Clark and Howard could both put up points when the other team's D was focused elsewhere. That's not the irreplaceable part. They were the 2 best defenders for the Storm, that's what really has made them a Championship team 2 of the last 3 years. It's not gonna be the same without them. Add in Sami's D and energy off the bench, again not seeing a replacement for that. Storm will still be good, but I'll be surprised if they repeat.

Reaction Score
One thing for the sure, the tattoos have made their way from the NBA to the WNBA, and also both college women and men hoops. High schoolers have even adopted the tat look. What's interesting is that you don't see see that look as prevalent in other sports. Wonder how long Geno can go with the no visible tat look?
Until he loses too many recruits. Then the narrative will shift to becoming more "inclusive".

Reaction Score
Clark and Howard could both put up points when the other team's D was focused elsewhere. That's not the irreplaceable part. They were the 2 best defenders for the Storm, that's what really has made them a Championship team 2 of the last 3 years. It's not gonna be the same without them. Add in Sami's D and energy off the bench, again not seeing a replacement for that. Storm will still be good, but I'll be surprised if they repeat.
We'll see how well Howard, and Clark do when the don't have Stewie, Loyd, and Sue around.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
We'll see how well Howard, and Clark do when the don't have Stewie, Loyd, and Sue around.
We already did. Storm still made the playoffs and won a first round game. Howard was an MVP candidate. Well they had Loyd part of the season, but she was in and out of the lineup and was not particularly effective that season.

We'll also see how Stewie, Bird and Loyd do w/out Howard around. Before she arrived Seattle had been around a .500 team who got bounced out of the first round of the playoffs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom