Isaiah Whaley Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Whaley Appreciation Thread

Reaction Score
Can you guys believe i had some back and forths with several people on this board because they thought Akok should be starting over Whaley? :confused::rolleyes:Head bang

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you heard someone yelling “Wrench!!!” towards the end of the game, that was me.

[I also yelled that the short ref was unhappy when we finally got a call in our favor. It was dead quiet and he definitely heard me and looked down].
How do your wife and daughter accept that?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My wife didn’t come to any of the games. Me and one daughter each day. Every one of them did me proud, including creative and loud ref taunts, all of which were well-deserved.
Sometimes they make you so proud…
Josh Groban Cry GIF by GIPHY News

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The juxtaposition of first possession where he just held ball and was afraid to even turn and look at basket until he was called for a violation against end of regulation and OT 3's is striking.

Reaction Score
Can you guys believe i had some back and forths with several people on this board because they thought Akok should be starting over Whaley? :confused::rolleyes:Head bang
I wasn’t one of them but Akok was physically overmatched and went into a shell, nobody expected that. And on top of that The Wrench became a 3 point shooter! Our coaches should be at the drawing board right now designing our new offense because if Whaley is a threat at the 3 point line other means of scoring just open up for others.

Reaction Score
Here’s Hurley’s full quote on how it would help offense:

“If you were around us daily and you see him in the summer, he makes them,” Hurley said of Whaley’s 3-point shooting. “It hasn’t translated to the court but I’m telling you he makes them... if we could ever get that from him, which he’s capable of, it’s just going to open up the court for us so much offensively.”

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Here’s Hurley’s full quote on how it would help offense:

“If you were around us daily and you see him in the summer, he makes them,” Hurley said of Whaley’s 3-point shooting. “It hasn’t translated to the court but I’m telling you he makes them... if we could ever get that from him, which he’s capable of, it’s just going to open up the court for us so much offensively.”
He has passed up countless wide open 3s this year, many in blow out games against cupcakes. I was disappointed with his lack of shot attempts in the first 4 games.

Interesting that he decides to have his 3-point coming out party with 1 min left in regulation of a 3 point game.

I hope this gives him the confidence he needs to take 3 attempts per game going forward (and more if he’s making them).

The team needs to take 20-25 per game total. 3 attempts from Whaley would be huge for our spacing.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I love Whaley’s game. And hitting those 3s? I hope he has the confidence now to take that shot when it presents.

My one critique is I’d like him to set more solid screens on the ball, and also away from the ball. That’ll get others open, and allow him to roll in or pop for that shot. His screens are almost always mirage screen and slide. You can do that sometimes, not every time.

Reaction Score
I love Whaley’s game. And hitting those 3s? I hope he has the confidence now to take that shot when it presents.

My one critique is I’d like him to set more solid screens on the ball, and also away from the ball. That’ll get others open, and allow him to roll in or pop for that shot. His screens are almost always mirage screen and slide. You can do that sometimes, not every time.

Sure, he has some things to work on, especially unnecessary fouls, but makes up for it with blocks and heart. Sheer heart and grit.

I can't wait to see the two handed dunks return and hope he sheds all hesitation and trusts himself more. Attack the rest of the games like the stanchion.

Reaction Score
This whole Whaley 3’s thing is on the coach. He thinks he’s a real threat and it seems he is. The best 3 point shooters go through droughts and have the mindset to move on from the misses. Whaley can make them but can he do that too? Hurley should be telling him that if he’s wide open take the shot and don’t worry about it If confidence is really there.

Reaction Score
Whaley hasn’t even looked as athletic as usual yet, probably because of his ankle. He has very few dunks so far. I expect him to only play better going forward.

Reaction Score
He has passed up countless wide open 3s this year, many in blow out games against cupcakes. I was disappointed with his lack of shot attempts in the first 4 games.

Interesting that he decides to have his 3-point coming out party with 1 min left in regulation of a 3 point game.

I hope this gives him the confidence he needs to take 3 attempts per game going forward (and more if he’s making them).

The team needs to take 20-25 per game total. 3 attempts from Whaley would be huge for our spacing.

Love Isaiah.

Yea, his hesitancy to shoot the 3 in our first 4 games was odd. I loved that he had no hesitation in 3 big spots vs. VCU. It seems like he needs to just be instinctual, in game flow, and he'll let it fly when he should with good form.

If he has too much time to think, it seems to go against him. Needs to be open, but not too open...

I'd love to see him take even just 1-2 a game. His high-low passing has been really good this year & that will give him even more opportunities.

He's quietly amassed 13 assists vs. 6 TOs so far in 6 games. Love that ratio.

Edit: Oh yea, also 7-7 from the line on what looks like much better form vs. last year. For some reason, he struggled mightily at the line last year (47%)

Reaction Score
Woulda beaten MSU if he played.
Even with my rose-colored glasses off, I agree. Why?

Sanogo played 34 minutes against MSU, the day after playing a career high 37 minutes against Auburn. In all of last year, Sanogo played ONE game last year with more than 30 minutes (31 minutes against Seton Hall).

Sanogo played a great game v. MSU: 18 pts, 10 r, 6 blocks.

However, playing against the 11th tallest team in the NCAA, 70%! of the time Michigan State plays with three players 6'8 or taller.

Throw Whaley in the mix, I doubt Marble would have scored a career high 15 points, 11 of which were scored in the last sixteen minutes of the game when Sanogo was losing steam.

Also, more Whaley means less time Polley and Martin playing the 4 against a much bigger team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom