Is UConn Now The Favorite To Win The Big East Tournament In its First Year Back In The Conference? | The Boneyard

Is UConn Now The Favorite To Win The Big East Tournament In its First Year Back In The Conference?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
marvel comics fox GIF

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Wait and see what the odds are. I'm guessing we are still the 3rd favorites. Vegas will make Creighton the favorite.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Let's see what Georgetown says about this tomorrow. Not that Georgetown is better or anything, just want to see how we take care of business going in the Tourney, in a game we are expected to win.

Just saying tomorrow will tell a lot about our chances, moreso than all the past games. Win Saturday, then we are certainly the favorites, lose it then the Tourney outcome will be very interesting.

Reaction Score
Someone has to put an end to Nova dominance. We had our moment in the late 90s, but it never got this one-sided. 4 of 5 championships? Non competitive championships is not good for the league.

Nova's success has coincided with UConn's absence from the BE. Not saying they're not good, but I think UConn was, and will be once again, the marquis brand in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Consider the source

Reags has been following and writing about college basketball for years. Total Kentucky homer but he knows his stuff

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Nova's success has coincided with UConn's absence from the BE. Not saying they're not good, but I think UConn was, and will be once again, the marquis brand in the Big East.

Remains to be seen. Coaching and recruiting matter. Jay Wright is still the big coach in the BE. The thing about the old BE was that there was always an 800lb gorrilla, sometimes mutliple ones, every year and unlike the ACC or B12, it wasn't the same school every year. That's what made the OBE great, even if UConn was first among 800lb gorillas.

Reaction Score
It's hardly the same Big East. The New Big East is basically a conference of non-football playing Catholic colleges. The original Big East was much more similar to the major P5 conferences.

Reaction Score
It's hardly the same Big East. The New Big East is basically a conference of non-football playing Catholic colleges. The original Big East was much more similar to the major P5 conferences.
blah blah blah

That's like saying the Model T is better than damn Electric cars

Reaction Score
BC, UConn, Georgetown, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Syracuse, add Villanova one year later.

Seems pretty close to its current incarnation.

Reaction Score
Someone has to put an end to Nova dominance. We had our moment in the late 90s, but it never got this one-sided. 4 of 5 championships? Non competitive championships is not good for the league.
I would put it another way...the league is not good enough for Villanova. They have won or tied for the regular season title every year since the New Big East formed. Win 4 of 5 tournament titles. They are Gonzaga. The league is better than the WCC but not even close to Villanova . If they lose without their best player everyone else just needs to shut up about “the great Big East.”

Reaction Score
The Big East really had a few iterations. The last one was far and away the best followed by the one from roughly 1980-85 ish. To get where this one stands, in the last true version with Syracuse, WVU, UConn etc the Providences and Seton Halls of the league simply COULD NOT COMPETE. Now they are considered contenders every year.

Reaction Score
I would put it another way...the league is not good enough for Villanova. They have won or tied for the regular season title every year since the New Big East formed. Win 4 of 5 tournament titles. They are Gonzaga. The league is better than the WCC but not even close to Villanova . If they lose without their best player everyone else just needs to shut up about “the great Big East.”
That's fair. Either way, I don't think it's good for the league for it to be so one-sided. They needed us back. A program with the funding and track record to give Nova legit competition once again.

It's also fair to say we needed the BE as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom