Is UCONN Football positioning for independence? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Is UCONN Football positioning for independence?

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm going to sound selfish here. I'd love UConn and New Mexico State(my alma mater) to sign up and do a home and home series. For those who would travel down to New Mexico State, I have no doubt that you would fall in love with that part of the state and its proximity to touristy areas, especially White Sands. NMSU is going to be going independent shortly and they need all the games they can get.

Reaction Score
My guess is there are groups in both the Big East and at UConn who wish this would occur. The BE folks realize they need an alpha dog for tv/media appeal. The UConn folks Pine for the old days. Neither are likely to get what they want but it gets clicks during this sort of boring early Late January early February period when it's more like jockeying for position than anything else among the various league races. For most the regular season is over except for seeding.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Also for anyone who thinks this is a good idea, here are UMass' known home games until 2020:

2017:

Hawaii
Old Dominion
Ohio
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
Maine

2018:

Charlotte
USF
Coastal Carolina
Troy
BYU

2019:

Maine
UConn
BYU

2020:

Army

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm going to sound selfish here. I'd love UConn and New Mexico State(my alma mater) to sign up and do a home and home series. For those who would travel down to New Mexico State, I have no doubt that you would fall in love with that part of the state and its proximity to touristy areas, especially White Sands. NMSU is going to be going independent shortly and they need all the games they can get.
My wife is uconn undergrad and NMSU masters. Would love to go there for a Uconn road game

Reaction Score
Also for anyone who thinks this is a good idea, here are UMass' known home games until 2020:

2017:

Hawaii
Old Dominion
Ohio
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
Maine

2018:

Charlotte
USF
Coastal Carolina
Troy
BYU

2019:

Maine
UConn
BYU

2020:

Army

The most telling part of this is that BYU is on here TWICE. They are the most prestigious program operating as an independent and they are stuck in a yearly deal traveling to UMass. If it won't work for a traditional program with their own ESPN deal, history of championships and a global religious following it will not work for UConn. Until a better conference situation appears, I'll take the yearly Cincy/USF/Temple games and the ability to actually attract a few P5 home and homes.

Honestly I'm shocked that this thread has made it 6 pages.

Reaction Score
I've always been skepical of these rumor, but there definitely is a lot of chatter. Can these rumors be real?

Reaction Score
Benedict made the perfect statement even if the reality is not quite so rosy. In any case, what is the actual FB revenue stream for BYU because I think comparing us to UMass is beyond silly. That's not to say there's any evidence independence would be our best option or even doable. I'm just curious as to what BYU takes in from FB.

Edit: Well I googled part of the answer.

"That's a whole lot more than we get from our deal with ESPN," said Mendenhall, referring to a contract that pays BYU an estimated $10 million per year, give or take a million, through 2018.

And we get?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Benedict made the perfect statement even if the reality is not quite so rosy. In any case, what is the actual FB revenue stream for BYU because I think comparing us to UMass is beyond silly. That's not to say there's any evidence independence would be our best option or even doable. I'm just curious as to what BYU takes in from FB.

Edit: Well I googled part of the answer.

And we get?
nowhere near $10m per year from ESPN for our football product. Evidence of that is our current payout in the American.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Interesting that the USF AD felt they needed to address the rumors. It shows that despite a string of horrible football teams, we are still the big dog.

exactly, while the football product has been lacking as of late as well as mens bb this season Uconn drives this conference no ifs, ands or buts. i saw some fans who thought otherwise on twitter cough Memphis but its UConn then everyone else, cincy might have bit of claim but thats it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Wow, we are really going out of our way to deny this. "UConn gave an official denial PLUS AD Dave gave me a spit handshake. Nothing to see here, confirmed."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Note for future and current PR newbs, that is how you field a potentially thorny question and pivot into a vehicle of brand promotion.

We also may need to institute a re-education program for the BB only fans. Force them to watch Cuse, UL, BC, Pitt, and Miami departure press conferences Clockwork Orange style.

Reaction Score
Based on how he handled the FHCBD situation with complete silence after the season's end, I believe what he's saying. He doesn't talk just to talk. I think his denial of the rumors carries some serious weight.

Reaction Score
I think there have been discussion (similar to floated idea/rumor during Big12 circle jerk exercise). I think ADD always needs to have options in this day and age but imo all the recent moves related to the AD/Football/facilities doesn't scream Big East/MAC/MWC/Indy route without a huge change in revenue stream.

Never say never but..

Football only to the Big 12 was addressed on page 19 of the Big 12 documents. UConn said that they would pursue membership in the Big East for other sports currently in the AAC. I would think that they must have talked to the Big East before proposing this.

iii. Willingness to consider a football-only membership and competitive plans for other sports programs in that scenario.

UConn would accept football-only membership, and subsequently would pursue membership in the Big East Conference for other sponsored sports currently competing in the American Athletic Conference (AAC).

http://uconn.edu/content/uploads/2016/10/Response-to-Big-12-Due-Diligence.pdf

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It's not happening, plain and simple. This is part of the off-season stuff I dislike, but it is expected

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
AD Dave made a great point and one that I have been saying for years to my inner circle (me and my shadow of course). UConn MUST dominate the AAC in ALL sports. WBB aside, we have not done that. Too many losses on the men's hardcourt and the gridiron, well we know that deal.

Start dominating in MBB and be at the top 1-2 of the East Div in football for a few years in a row. We need to that.
Yes, I am aware of the NC's in hoops but we still have not dominated the conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom