Is UCONN Football positioning for independence? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Is UCONN Football positioning for independence?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Oh really. Then why is Mizzouri coming to our place late October and why are we playing BC in November? Also, other than BC, which P5 team in my schedule do we play the second half of the season?

They are coming because we are in the AAC. I know, hard not to laugh.

I think its a legitimate concern that if you start having back to back years playing 3-9 football as an independent then we will loose scheduling desirablity even faster than having done so while in the AAC Its a scary unknown.

Reaction Score
Honestly, this has got to be the most ridiculous, tedious thread ever posted on the BY.

There is no independent option for UConn football. UConn football is able to schedule home and home games with the P5 in large part due to its membership in the AAC. The AAC is not the P5 but it is the best of the G5 and it carries weight. UConn football without the AAC tag is an even weaker product. Moreover, UConn football going independent allows the P5 to destroy UConn's hopes once and for all to ever making it to the P5. All the P5 has to do is not schedule UConn and its football program is done....isn't killing competition from UConn what BC and Cuse wanted in the first place? Why not just put our testicles on the table for BC to chop them...just plain dumb.

I get it..some of the die hard men's basketball fans can't see beyond a return to the past and are unwilling to accept the college athletic world has changed. In order to justify moving to the new BE they are willing to argue the AAC is destroying the men's basketball program, the women's basketball team is suffering in the AAC (while winning 98 straight games enroute to its likely 5 NC in row), there is an independent option for UConn football, or even better.. UConn could stay in the AAC for football while moving everything else to the new Big East. No matter how you package the above arguments they are just not based in reality and are driven by fans desire to play a bunch of small catholic schools we used to beat up on....let it go, bro...the Big East is over...we may hate our situation but there is no going back.

The new BE has likely reached its financial high water mark and the AAC is probably due for a big increase. The AAC may be less than ideal but right now there is not a better option. UConn needs to let the next couple years play out, strengthen its sports programs (particularly football) and wait for the next round of realignment...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Honestly, this has got to be the most ridiculous, tedious thread ever posted on the BY.

There is no independent option for UConn football. UConn football is able to schedule home and home games with the P5 in large part due to its membership in the AAC. The AAC is not the P5 but it is the best of the G5 and it carries weight. UConn football without the AAC tag is an even weaker product. Moreover, UConn football going independent allows the P5 to destroy UConn's hopes once and for all to ever making it to the P5. All the P5 has to do is not schedule UConn and its football program is done...isn't killing competition from UConn what BC and Cuse wanted in the first place? Why not just put our testicles on the table for BC to chop them..just plain dumb.

I get it..some of the die hard men's basketball fans can't see beyond a return to the past and are unwilling to accept the college athletic world has changed. In order to justify moving to the new BE they are willing to argue the AAC is destroying the men's basketball program, the women's basketball team is suffering in the AAC (while winning 98 straight games enroute to its likely 5 NC in row), there is an independent option for UConn football, or even better.. UConn could stay in the AAC for football while moving everything else to the new Big East. No matter how you package the above arguments they are just not based in reality and are driven by fans desire to play a bunch of small catholic schools we used to beat up on...let it go, bro..the Big East is over..we may hate our situation but there is no going back.

The new BE has likely reached its financial high water mark and the AAC is probably due for a big increase. The AAC may be less than ideal but right now there is not a better option. UConn needs to let the next couple years play out, strengthen its sports programs (particularly football) and wait for the next round of realignment..

I'm with you. And AAC football has been pretty decent. Lots of NFL caliber kids around the conference, lots of exciting action. We just need to win.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Oh really. Then why is Mizzouri coming to our place late October and why are we playing BC in November? Also, other than BC, which P5 team in my schedule do we play the second half of the season?

Because the games are going to be broadcast on national tv? As opposed to an independent SNY contract that broadcasts in the Tri State area?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Because the games are going to be broadcast on national tv? As opposed to an independent SNY contract that broadcasts in the Tri State area?
And what's to say that if we went to the NBE, FOX wouldn't help out us with a couple home games against P5 teams as incentive to join them and the NBE.

Reaction Score
Good point....ESPN and Fox have helped UConn so much throughout the conference realignment process. We should completely bank our athletic future on Fox's future goodwill in scheduling P5 football games. What could go wrong???

With the college playoff, strength of schedule is becoming more important. An independent UConn on a regional network (SNY) is not the draw that an AAC backed UConn is on ESPN.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Good point...ESPN and Fox have helped UConn so much throughout the conference realignment process. We should completely bank our athletic future on Fox's future goodwill in scheduling P5 football games. What could go wrong???

With the college playoff, strength of schedule is becoming more important. An independent UConn on a regional network (SNY) is not the draw that an AAC backed UConn is on ESPN.
Going independent, I believe we could get 5-6 P5 h/h series whereas now the max is 4. FOX and UConn can have a mutually beneficial relationship. We help their awful ratings in basketball, they help us by putting 3-4 of our football home games on FS1. Our other two games can go on SNY.

Reaction Score
Going independent, I believe we could get 5-6 P5 h/h series whereas now the max is 4. FOX and UConn can have a mutually beneficial relationship. We help their awful ratings in basketball, they help us by putting 3-4 of our football home games on FS1. Our other two games can go on SNY.

Please I beg you give it up. If 5 pages haven't convinced you, 5 more certainly won't. How many times and how many ways can other fans tell you independence won't work. Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

Please Tom lock this thread.

Reaction Score
Please I beg you give it up. If 5 pages haven't convinced you, 5 more certainly won't. How many times and how many ways can other fans tell you independence won't work. Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

Please Tom lock this thread.

Or you could just not open the thread anymore?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Isn't there an episode of Ghost Adventures or Ancient Aliens you should be watching?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Isn't there an episode of Ghost Adventures or Ancient Aliens you should be watching?
Not into ghosts or aliens.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Do we know for certain that the AAC would not accept UConn Football without our other sports? A competitive UConn Football team is still probably the conference's third or fourth most valuable commodity from a TV viewership standpoint. I'm not so sure that they don't swallow hard and let it happen if we say we want it to happen.
Given that they told UMass to either join all sports or get lost, and UMass bball is much less valuable to a conference than UConn bball, yes, pretty confident they'd say the same thing to us.

Reaction Score
Given that they told UMass to either join all sports or get lost, and UMass bball is much less valuable to a conference than UConn bball, yes, pretty confident they'd say the same thing to us.

But the question is how valuable the football property is . . .

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
But the question is how valuable the football property is . . .
That's your question, but that's not the question the MAC would be interested in...

Reaction Score

Shizzle: You think if we were an independent in football, Fox would help us with getting 5 or 6 home and home series with P5 teams? I didn't know Connecticut legalized recreational marijuana smoking, but if you think P5 will visit the Rent to play an independent UConn team, you must be smoking some good stuff...:cool:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Independent would be the death nail for UConn sports as a whole. Not sure why anyone would think that going independent would be a winner. Notre Dame is going to have to join a conference one day if NBC drops them. We are not getting that kind of contract period.

Reaction Score
It's a longshot, but so was firing Diaco 2 months ago. Im pretty sure a lot of sports would prefer a BE travel schedule. And don't lecture me on the scheduling issues. I get it but plenty of the same teams we play would still be willing to schedule us.

Reaction Score
Jon Rothstein still beating the drum! Maybe this gets espn to lobby us to the ACC as all sports except fb with a scheduling agreement for fb. You never know.

Reaction Score
Jon Rothstein still beating the drum! Maybe this gets espn to lobby us to the ACC as all sports except fb with a scheduling agreement for fb. You never know.

No press is bad press.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

this slightly confuses me since the headline says No Discussions have taken place and then halfway through the article he says a source told him discussions have taken place :confused:

regardless its a terrible idea that makes no fiscal or cultural sense

Reaction Score
this slightly confuses me since the headline says No Discussions have taken place and then halfway through the article he says a source told him discussions have taken place :confused:

regardless its a terrible idea that makes no fiscal or cultural sense
Hmnnn, maybe these sources are coming from the Whitehouse. I kid, I kid.

Reaction Score
I think there have been discussion (similar to floated idea/rumor during Big12 circle jerk exercise). I think ADD always needs to have options in this day and age but imo all the recent moves related to the AD/Football/facilities doesn't scream Big East/MAC/MWC/Indy route without a huge change in revenue stream.

Never say never but...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom