Is the HC job at Uconn | The Boneyard

Is the HC job at Uconn

Reaction Score
the highest profile? Is it at the top of the list for available coaches? Read an article on CBS that thinks it is even through the recent struggles.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The article really isn't saying much. I mean, the only competition is Louisville, Pitt, and Georgia. Not a murderer's row.

I think Louisville has us beat, and given the candidates the article is mentioning, they do too. [Mack, Marshall, Cooley, Cronin, Buzz Williams, Crean]

Pitt and UCONN on a similar level. The only candidate they mention for those is Hurley. And Crean for Pitt.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
when you can pull in the alumni we have to help with "publicity" (I'll leave it at that), we are a high profile program

we've still landed some top recruits in recent years, they're either injured or waiting or transferred or decommitted, but it shows there still is interest in the program

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UConn job still considered tip tier is courtesy of Cincy, SMU, WSUnand to slightly lesser extent Temple, UCF and Tulsa.

AAC, for all it's warts, has shown it can be a 3+ bid league and if you get to 25+ wins and 14 wins in conference, you a a legitimate program. Top line coaches see that path as viable.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
UConn job still considered tip tier is courtesy of Cincy, SMU, WSUnand to slightly lesser extent Temple, UCF and Tulsa.

AAC, for all it's warts, has shown it can be a 3+ bid league and if you get to 25+ wins and 14 wins in conference, you a a legitimate program. Top line coaches see that path as viable.
Good grief. Our job being top tier has absolutely nothing to do with Cinci, SMU or WSU - let alone freaking Tulsa. It has to do with 1) paying a top 10 salary, 2) having one of the most recognizable brands in the sport, 3) having a serious list of alumni to go on to great success in the NBA, 4) having facilities on par with anything another school can offer, 5) being in a fertile recruiting area, and 6) having exposure in two of the largest cities in the country.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good grief. Our job being top tier has absolutely nothing to do with Cinci, SMU or WSU - let alone freaking Tulsa. It has to do with 1) paying a top 10 salary, 2) having one of the most recognizable brands in the sport, 3) having a serious list of alumni to go on to great success in the NBA, 4) having facilities on par with anything another school can offer, 5) being in a fertile recruiting area, and 6) having exposure in two of the largest cities in the country.

1-3 are backwards looking and 4-5 don't differentiate UConn from other too programs. AAC (And I despise it as much as any fan) has shown a top tier coach can come in and maintain a coach's reputation.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Since the AAC was established, I think we still have more tournament wins than the rest of the league combined. I'm pretty sure we're the only AAC school to win a national title, and we've done such in three sports

We have the most talent in the NBA, the most famous alumni, brought in the most money from the tournament, we're the ones playing the biggest OOC names on a regular basis, so we don't have to thank anybody for anything

I like the fact that other teams are doing well, I'm pulling for them all in the tourny

Reaction Score
Lville - Greg Marshall or Mick Cronin in consideration for HC gig isn’t good for our conference. We need coaches like these hanging around so we can get more exposure come tournament time.

Hope we get Hurley.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Another way to view this thread....
Is the value of the UConn HC position going forward independent of the conference affiliation?

Reaction Score
I honestly have no idea how our job is viewed right now. I really feel like this should be viewed as one of the ultimate top-tier stepping stone jobs which may sound as a sleight but I mean it as a compliment. At least for the time being, our brand is still significantly better than any other team in our conference. Winning at UConn should be much easier than winning at any mid-to-low tier P5 in my estimation. With our relative advantage in brand and an infrastructure, a good coach should always have the most talented roster on paper in the AAC and the guy could easily come in and kill it for a handful of years before moving on to one of the most high quality jobs P5. Imagine joining the ACC meat grinder at a school such as Pitt versus coming to Uconn and competing in a conference that has less than 10 top 100 players in its entirety.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I honestly have no idea how our job is viewed right now. I really feel like this should be viewed as one of the ultimate top-tier stepping stone jobs which may sound as a sleight but I mean it as a compliment. At least for the time being, our brand is still significantly better than any other team in our conference. Winning at UConn should be much easier than winning at any mid-to-low tier P5 in my estimation. With our relative advantage in brand and an infrastructure, a good coach should always have the most talented roster on paper in the AAC and the guy could easily come in and kill it for a handful of years before moving on to one of the most high quality jobs P5. Imagine joining the ACC meat grinder at a school such as Pitt versus coming to Uconn and competing in a conference that has less than 10 top 100 players in its entirety.

Every high end basketball school in the country is a top tier stepping stone job though, no? The Elite: Duke, UK, UNC, Kansas et al get their pick from who they want no matter where they are.

Reaction Score
Every high end basketball school in the country is a top tier stepping stone job though, no? The Elite: Duke, UK, UNC, Kansas et al get their pick from who they want no matter where they are.

Of course. But there are a lot of other schools UConn is currently a stepping stone for. And my thought is that it should be easier to win at UConn than a lot of these other mid tier P5s.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Don't underestimate difference in value of a 3 bid league vs. an 8 bid league to a coach. It's huge.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate difference in value of a 3 bid league vs. an 8 bid league to a coach. It's huge.

Valid point. At same time, we see Wichita and Cincinnati get four and two seeds respectively without doing much of anything out of conference. The AAC needs to be a four or five bid league. Us not sucking helps a lot in that regard.

Reaction Score
Valid point. At same time, we see Wichita and Cincinnati get four and two seeds respectively without doing much of anything out of conference. The AAC needs to be a four or five bid league. Us not sucking helps a lot in that regard.

As soon as Memphis and UConn figure it out we've got ourselves a league.

Reaction Score
Word is Pitt is going hard after Dan Hurley. I’ll be surprised if he lands at UConn. Look for a surprise name to appear.
I will never joke again about snow or the pending bidding war between the ACC/Big over us if Hurley ends up here.

Reaction Score
Bring in Ray Allen along with Scott Burrell and Donyell Marshall. Keep Ricky Moore on the staff. Ray can learn coaching while on the job.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Word is Pitt is going hard after Dan Hurley. I’ll be surprised if he lands at UConn. Look for a surprise name to appear.

If both schools have Dan as their first choice, this will say a lot about our status.

Pitt on it's best days was never more than just a threat to win the BE. It was never one of the top top programs. Cuse had a much higher standing.

Now, they are not only behind Cuse, but Louisville (still), NC, Duke, and whatever flavor of the month ACC program is peaking any particular year. Right now it's Virginia.

Is the lure of the ACC strong enough to pull a coach away from a 4 time champ for a team looking to finish 6th in the ACC?

If so, that is bad for UConn and the AAC.

Reaction Score
If both schools have Dan as their first choice, this will say a lot about our status.

Pitt on it's best days was never more than just a threat to win the BE. It was never one of the top top programs. Cuse had a much higher standing.

Now, they are not only behind Cuse, but Louisville (still), NC, Duke, and whatever flavor of the month ACC program is peaking any particular year. Right now it's Virginia.

Is the lure of the ACC strong enough to pull a coach away from a 4 time champ for a team looking to finish 6th in the ACC?

I have a good feeling we will land Hurley. If he has a fast lose in the tourney it will be crazy to see which school he picks

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think Hurley has more upside at UConn and has an easier path to success. It will take a heavier lift to bring Pitt back in the ACC. UConn isn't far away.

I am as curious as everyone to see how this ends up. I would not discount an unexpected name. Somebody like
Jay Larrañaga.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I think Hurley has more upside at UConn and has an easier path to success. It will take a heavier lift to bring Pitt back in the ACC. UConn isn't far away.

I am as curious as everyone to see how this ends up. I would not discount an unexpected name. Somebody like
Jay Larrañaga.

I agree that UConn is the far better job.

With all the trouble his dad is in, I'd be wary of Jay. Not necessarily from the coaching side, but the program management side. His dad will be swept up in the FBI investigation and could show him as part of that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom