• Maybe

Votes: 22 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not too many seniors do the commencement speech for their graduating class, and by the way one of her employers, Phil Knight received an honorary doctorate at the same commencement.

Should have given Sabrina an honorary doctorate ;)

Reaction Score
Well, she hasn't donated $800 million to the university yet.

Phil Knight is 82 years old. As some here know once your in your 70's and 80's you may not live to see your next college game. Besides someone with a net worth of 39.2 billion, I am betting when he passes it might make Oregon a private college. So Doctor Knight makes sense.

Reaction Score
If you replaced Sabrina with Crystal in the offense it would only have have been a slight uptick and not enough to overcome the 3 consecutive FF defeats. In each of her 4 season in Oregon Sabrina led the team in FGA, sometimes by a fairly wide margin. Contrast that with UCONN who had 3 different players KLS, Napheesa, and Megan Walker leading the team in FGA while Sabrina was playing. In summary I agree with the last paragraph of @domerduck post. Those UCONN teams were too talented and would have relegated Sabrina to at best 3rd offensive option until after KLS and Napheesa graduated. Having Sabrina and not Crystal also does not help with the UCONN flaws which proved to be fatal-lack of bulk & skill in the post position and the absence of a third guard to help the rotation after Saniya graduated.

Two of those three FF losses were buzzer beater jump shots in OT. We could have replayed those games with the same players and won. Your implicit assumption that UConn's "flaws" would have prevented them from ever winning those games is too harsh.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Two of those three FF losses were buzzer beater jump shots in OT. We could have replayed those games with the same players and won. Your implicit assumption that UConn's "flaws" would have prevented them from ever winning those games is too harsh.
Your continued insistence that UCONN could have won those games "if replayed" is kind of revisionist. Those games should not have been in overtime in the first place as UCONN was the favored team in two of recent FF loses. You don't get a do over in the FF. The flaws are evident not just in the FF games but also in every loss UCONN has suffered since Stewie & Tuck graduated. Specifically the lack of a post presence with bulk and skill and depth at the guard position. Failure to address the flaws will forever result in what you are feeling:
this close.gif

Reaction Score
Your continued insistence that UCONN could have won those games "if replayed" is kind of revisionist. Those games should not have been in overtime in the first place as UCONN was the favored team in two of recent FF loses. You don't get a do over in the FF. The flaws are evident not just in the FF games but also in every loss UCONN has suffered since Stewie & Tuck graduated. Specifically the lack of a post presence with bulk and skill and depth at the guard position. Failure to address the flaws will forever result in what you are feeling:
View attachment 55682

You realize the viewpoints are not mutually exclusive. Yes, I understand that we lost. But I also understand the the actual outcome was not the only possible outcome.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You realize the viewpoints are not mutually exclusive. Yes, I understand that we lost. But I also understand the the actual outcome was not the only possible outcome.
The outcome was the outcome-we lost. I don't understand, and can't relate to an alternate viewpoint of that reality. My power ball number didn't hit last time- I've already moved on to the next drawing with a different set of numbers.

Reaction Score
The outcome was the outcome-we lost. I don't understand, and can't relate to an alternate viewpoint of that reality. My power ball number didn't hit last time- I've already moved on to the next drawing with a different set of numbers.

And yet Power Ball uses the same numbers and the same process each time. And comes up with different outcomes. The problem isn't the different outcomes, it's the post-event narrative that assumes that the outcome was the only possible outcome. And then draws absolute conclusions about them, without every allowing for the fact that other outcomes were possible and that alternative explanations might be equally valid.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And yet Power Ball uses the same numbers and the same process each time. And comes up with different outcomes. The problem isn't the different outcomes, it's the post-event narrative that assumes that the outcome was the only possible outcome. And then draws absolute conclusions about them, without every allowing for the fact that other outcomes were possible and that alternative explanations might be equally valid.
:eek:Luckily I don't have this problem. Of course there were other possible outcomes, Mississippi State and ND could have won in regulation and it would still hurt as much. :D

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If you replaced Sabrina with Crystal in the offense it would only have have been a slight uptick and not enough to overcome the 3 consecutive FF defeats. In each of her 4 season in Oregon Sabrina led the team in FGA, sometimes by a fairly wide margin. Contrast that with UCONN who had 3 different players KLS, Napheesa, and Megan Walker leading the team in FGA while Sabrina was playing. In summary I agree with the last paragraph of @domerduck post. Those UCONN teams were too talented and would have relegated Sabrina to at best 3rd offensive option until after KLS and Napheesa graduated. Having Sabrina and not Crystal also does not help with the UCONN flaws which proved to be fatal-lack of bulk & skill in the post position and the absence of a third guard to help the rotation after Saniya graduated.

UCONN would've been a much more dangerous team with Sabrina in the lineup the last 4 years over Dangerfield. Dangerfield was a good PG but she isn't close to being the distributor and playmaker than Ionescu is. A big problem down the stretch of 2017-2019 is that UCONN really didn't have anyone who could take the ball and go make something happen. They tried to make KLS into that player but she just wasn't a playmaker. Neither was Dangerfield.

If you look at it year by year for the FF loss, you have:

2017-Ionescu likely starts or at a minimum is the top player off the bench playing 25 mpg. She likely has a much bigger impact than Dangerfield did. In the F4 loss to MSU, Dangerfield had 1 point, 1 assist and 2 turnovers in 17 minutes. Ionescu very likely brings more to the table than Dangerfield did, and they were a poor decision by Chong away from winning. In the UCONN/UO game head to head, Sabrina scored 15 points, had 8 boards, 5-10 shooting and 6 TOs. Dangerfield had 2 points and 1 assist in 13 minutes.

2018-UCONN was loaded this year but was beat by a feisty and determined Notre Dame team. Dangerfield was solid as a PG but played quite poorly in the F4 game against ND until the last bit of regulation and overtime. She was 1-9 shooting until there were 21 seconds left and sat the last 5 minutes of regulation besides the final 21 seconds. She finished the game with 8 points on 3-11 shooting. Put Ionescu on that roster and the team likely has better ball movement and far better production from the PG spot, which was manned by Nurse (4-13 shooting) and Dangerfield (3-11 shooting).

2019-Sabrina was the best player in the country as a junior, so she likely is your top offensive option or at the very least is on par with KLS/Collier. UCONN had a big lead on Notre Dame in the 4th quarter (9 points) but ultimately ND stormed back and won. As you noted, UCONN didn't have an answer for ND's posts who put up 20/13 and 15/15/5 blocks. Even without size, Ionescu is a big upgrade from Dangerfield considering she is an excellent rebounder (UCONN was outrebounded by 17), and she likely puts up a better showing than Dangerfield, who finished with 4 points on 2-11 shooting, 0-6 from deep. Dangerfield did put up 9 assists and 1 TO, but they ultimately needed better production from the PG spot and that was the main weak spot in UCONN's offensive game. They still came close, losing by just 5 points in the Final Four. A few more rebounds and made buckets from Sabrina easily could've been the difference.

UCONN's flaws from 2017-2019 weren't Dangerfield, she was a good PG, but being able to upgrade from a good HM AA type of PG to a 2x POY at that position absolutely makes a massive difference and likely pushes UOCNN over the top considering they lost two buzzer beaters and another game by 5 points.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn’t know Sabrina received a master’s degree! That is impressive in 4 years. I know student athletes enroll in many summer school courses, but it’s still a huge accomplishment. Also, Satou Sabally actually graduated in three years. I thought she just forewent her last year and had three years worth of credits but she actually completed her degree which makes more sense now.

Reaction Score
Sabrina is not the goat. I didn't read this really long thread but a big part of her allure is the triple doubles. If I am thinking correctly, a lot of the triple doubles came in blowouts where Oregon kept her in unnecessarily to statpad. Very good player but not GOAT, just benefitted from social media age that prior starts before her were not able to so her star seems brighter than it is when comparing her to top players from older eras.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sabrina is not the goat. I didn't read this really long thread but a big part of her allure is the triple doubles. If I am thinking correctly, a lot of the triple doubles came in blowouts where Oregon kept her in unnecessarily to statpad. Very good player but not GOAT, just benefitted from social media age that prior starts before her were not able to so her star seems brighter than it is when comparing her to top players from older eras.
This sham of a running joke has been going on since Feb=WAY TOO LONG NOW!

Reaction Score
Not even close. She was definitely the best player in wcbb last year, and maybe year before that. A multi- faceted player who unfortunately never got the ring. When in conversation for GOAT, that plays a huge part.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I changed my vote from Maybe to Yes. I couldnt keep staring at the 9.9% Sabrina had for Yes.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not GOAT. Not seriously in the discussion, while acknowledging her double double machine etc. I'd award her two ears.

Reaction Score
Funny how in 2017 Ionescu's Oregon lost to UConn 90-52. UConn lacked a center and a power forward, at least according to those who say that a successful team needs a center that has to be BIG and a power forward that has to be at least 6'3" with uber strength. UConn had neither while Oregon had Hebard and the putative GOAT at the point.
How was that possible???????????????????

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69