Is Roberson a dual threat QB? | The Boneyard

Is Roberson a dual threat QB?

Reaction Score
At UConn this year, has run 25 times for 33 yards. But to get closer his true rushing numbers you have to take away 5 sacks (guess) and 40 yards of losses. So he has run 20 times for 73 yards (3.6 avg). Looking back at his high school numbers and he averaged 6.3 per carry as a junior and 8.3 as a senior. The high school numbers are good but the college numbers, so far, are very average.

The eye test says he is not interested in running. He often attempts low percentage passes even when there is an opportunity to use his legs. This may due to his injury last season. He may have lost his taste for running. He looks healthy but hasn't looked explosive or fast carrying the ball. It might also be rust. We have seen the rust come off his passing offense. His confidence and physical performance have taken a big step forward.

I am curious if we will see a more aggressive runner as the season progresses. At this point, we really don't know if he will prove effective on the ground. He is not a dual threat at present. But that was his reputation coming out of the portal. We'll see.

Reaction Score
The answer is...not really. He either lost a step or confidence as a runner as a result of his injury. If that burst returns next year, and he continues maturing as a passer he could be good next year if he comes back.

Reaction Score
He isn’t. He is a pocket passer. Somewhat mobile in the pocket but he, no Zion are really running threats.

They run some RPOs thst if he was a runner might be able to be real dangerous, but he just isn’t going to be a threat with his legs unless he has to be.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
He isn’t. He is a pocket passer. Somewhat mobile in the pocket but he, no Zion are really running threats.

They run some RPOs thst if he was a runner might be able to be real dangerous, but he just isn’t going to be a threat with his legs unless he has to be.
This is what we need, a passing QB who can move the offense downfield with an air attack to complement the running game. Yesterday had two long passing plays that went for touchdowns…this is how the team can compete with other FBS programs. Would be great if he’s somewhat mobile to scramble for yardage when needed and avoid a sack, but a vertical threat is pivotal.

Reaction Score
This is what we need, a passing QB who can move the offense downfield with an air attack to complement the running game. Yesterday had two long passing plays that went for touchdowns…this is how the team can compete with other FBS programs. Would be great if he’s somewhat mobile to scramble for yardage when needed and avoid a sack, but a vertical threat is pivotal.
I think once UConn gets that true dual threat its been praying for years seeing other dual threats tear us apart there will be rightful hosannas all around. That isn't this week.

Reaction Score
At UConn this year, has run 25 times for 33 yards. But to get closer his true rushing numbers you have to take away 5 sacks (guess) and 40 yards of losses. So he has run 20 times for 73 yards (3.6 avg). Looking back at his high school numbers and he averaged 6.3 per carry as a junior and 8.3 as a senior. The high school numbers are good but the college numbers, so far, are very average.

The eye test says he is not interested in running. He often attempts low percentage passes even when there is an opportunity to use his legs. This may due to his injury last season. He may have lost his taste for running. He looks healthy but hasn't looked explosive or fast carrying the ball. It might also be rust. We have seen the rust come off his passing offense. His confidence and physical performance have taken a big step forward.

I am curious if we will see a more aggressive runner as the season progresses. At this point, we really don't know if he will prove effective on the ground. He is not a dual threat at present. But that was his reputation coming out of the portal. We'll see.

He’s a pass first QB with some mobility.

Reaction Score
He may not be dual threat, but at least he is one threat! The most important one.
Has anyone ever seen a HS video of Roberson running the FB? What are his measureables, especially 40 time?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He’s a pass first QB with some mobility.
Which is what you want, really. Hopefully as he gets more confident with the knee, the mobility will improve. I'm not looking for a lot of designed QB runs, just the ability to get yards when they are there for the taking, or to buy time.

Reaction Score
Which is what you want, really. Hopefully as he gets more confident with the knee, the mobility will improve. I'm not looking for a lot of designed QB runs, just the ability to get yards when they are there for the taking, or to buy time.
I'm hopeful he can get to a point where he is confident enough in his knee to take off 2-3 times per game for a good chunk of yards when the defense gives it to him. That will help enough to keep them honest.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
23 years….

In the words of Frank Drebin...
Screenshot_20231009-143730-615.png

Reaction Score
I just want Charlton to stop calling the rollout with the 2 yd pass for a 1 yd loss.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's got one more season if he wants it, correct?
If he makes it through this season healthy and stays healthy in off-season I think he runs it more next season.

Not a bunch like a true dual threat but more than we'll see this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom