Is Ollie part of s new paradigm? | The Boneyard

Is Ollie part of s new paradigm?

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to watch over the next couple of years but I wonder if we aren’t seeing a change in the way schools deal with coaches. The actions by UConn, Pitt, Florida and some others in football to fire for cause could be a movement away from huge contracts with long term guarantees. I am guessing that we will start seeing more deals that allow schools to fire failed coaches with far less in the Way of buyouts. We saw a trend maybe 15 years ago of requiring coaches to buy out contracts if they planned to leave to take another job. This might be the start of another change.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to watch over the next couple of years but I wonder if we aren’t seeing a change in the way schools deal with coaches. The actions by UConn, Pitt, Florida and some others in football to fire for cause could be a movement away from huge contracts with long term guarantees. I am guessing that we will start seeing more deals that allow schools to fire failed coaches with far less in the Way of buyouts. We saw a trend maybe 15 years ago of requiring coaches to buy out contracts if they planned to leave to take another job. This might be the start of another change.

I hope so. I'm a fan of at will employment. Do your job well and you can keep it.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Buyout clauses may become a thing of the past. Can you imagine being so terribly bad at your job that it's affecting the reputation and bottom line of your company, and them having to pay you 3-4 year's salary to fire you? Crazy.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I hope so. I'm a fan of at will employment. Do your job well and you can keep it.

So you want to eliminate multi-year contracts altogether?

Reaction Score
Buyout clauses may become a thing of the past. Can you imagine being so terribly bad at your job that it's affecting the reputation and bottom line of your company, and them having to pay you 3-4 year's salary to fire you? Crazy.

10 of the Largest Golden Parachutes CEOs Ever Received They are quite common, even among failed business leaders. After he won the tourney everyone was worried like crazy that he was gonna take an NBA job and bolt, I sure was. Top coaches will keep getting them and it will force the practice to trickle down to folks who probably shouldn't get them. I hope this fiasco gets solved quickly.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. But don't complain then if our next hire leaves for Syracuse when Boeheim retires because they offe him P5 money and more guarantees. Sure it's a hypothetical, but be careful what you wish for.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily but better rewards for success and less for failure. Maybe he gets a year of severance. Something like that. This huge buyout thing is a relatively recent development but as we are seeing the schools are starting to balk at paying them.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily but better rewards for success and less for failure. Maybe he gets a year of severance. Something like that. This huge buyout thing is a relatively recent development but as we are seeing the schools are starting to balk at paying them.

This is all wishful thinking. Coaches will get what the market will pay. If you want Bobby Hurley and Pitt is offering a 5 year contract, then what makes you think he will sign a non-guaranteed contract to come to Uconn?
Unless all the school's collude to keep salaries down the best coaches will get what they can get. If you insist on non-guaranteed contracts then you will only get coaches willing to sign for it. Caveat emptor.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The trend is schools trying to end run contracts that the coaches negotiated and signed in good faith. If the school has such a philosophical opposition to buyouts then they should have negotiated up front that there was not going to be a buyout. Instead, a bunch of schools are looking for back doors out of contracts, which sends the message that the Administration can not be trusted to any coach thinking about going to that school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The trend is schools trying to end run contracts that the coaches negotiated and signed in good faith. If the school has such a philosophical opposition to buyouts then they should have negotiated up front that there was not going to be a buyout. Instead, a bunch of schools are looking for back doors out of contracts, which sends the message that the Administration can not be trusted to any coach thinking about going to that school.
The "just cause" stipulation in KO's contract is, according to media reports, "big enough to drive a truck through". That, by definition, is not a "back door".

Again, maybe I'll just put this in every thread on this board - His job was 95% coach basketball and 5% don't break the rules. If you do the 95% adequately, you can be forgiven the occasional transgression in the other 5%. If you stink at the 95% of the job, you damn well better be spot on with the other 5%. Especially when the very program you're running just came out of NCAA sanctions and the university puts zero tolerance "just cause" wording in your contract.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I don't think so. If a guy is good, you want to protect yourself from another school poaching him, or at the bare minimum, getting something in return.

Coaches need some guarantees, otherwise their decisions will be much more influenced by how well they'll do in the short term, rather than the intermediate/long term.

Reaction Score
This is my position as well. You want to act like a p5 school and put big buyout clauses in contracts, honor them. Or offer more money up front with a more favorable buyout in case of poor performance. I don't like the shenanigans. Find a deal you can live with.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is my position as well. You want to act like a p5 school and put big buyout clauses in contracts, honor them. Or offer more money up front with a more favorable buyout in case of poor performance. I don't like the shenanigans. Find a deal you can live with.

But P5 schools AD's are doing the same thing. If UCONN doesn't play the game, they are even further behind the 8-ball.

Reaction Score
But P5 schools AD's are doing the same thing. If UCONN doesn't play the game, they are even further behind the 8-ball.
Like Nelson said, agents are gonna start advising their clients to be leery of schools engaging in this practice.

This is a chance with a little forward vision to try and make your niche going forward. Instead of paying 3.5 million, pay 4 and negotiate a workable buyout.

Maybe I'm too naive, but signing coaches to buyouts you have no intention of honoring seems like bad business long term. I think in Ollies case they believed they had struck gold and it backfired.

We're also in a perfect storm of bad timing and contracts given the Diaco buyout last year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Like Nelson said, agents are gonna start advising their clients to be leery of schools engaging in this practice.

This is a chance with a little forward vision to try and make your niche going forward. Instead of paying 3.5 million, pay 4 and negotiate a workable buyout.

Maybe I'm too naive, but signing coaches to buyouts you have no intention of honoring seems like bad business long term. I think in Ollies case they believed they had struck gold and it backfired.

We're also in a perfect storm of bad timing and contracts given the Diaco buyout last year.

I don't think candidates will ever give schools a miss for the reasons I mentioned previously. There's only so many jobs available at any given time, and 100s of candidates. Most just don't have that luxury. Great coaches get lost in the mix over the years, stuck at a level, so it behooves them to grab an opportunity if they have it. A lot of these guys get hot, and then their star fades in the following years.

What I think ultimately will happen is that agents will respond with more concrete language around the 'cause clause' that protects their clients. Rather than avoiding a rare opening.

Reaction Score

I’m thinking no one ever saw the possibility of poor performance after 2014. But its a terrible lawyer the state or school has.

Reaction Score
This is all wishful thinking. Coaches will get what the market will pay. If you want Bobby Hurley and Pitt is offering a 5 year contract, then what makes you think he will sign a non-guaranteed contract to come to Uconn?
Unless all the school's collude to keep salaries down the best coaches will get what they can get. If you insist on non-guaranteed contracts then you will only get coaches willing to sign for it. Caveat emptor.
At one point not that long ago coaches didn’t have to buy out their contracts. They wanted to leave for a new gig they left. Then it became standard practice to put in buyout clauses and now nobody even thinks about it. We are seeing schools firing guys for cause because they want out. In at least some cases it is for things they knew about before the contract was even signed. I think we will start seeing a return to a more rational structure soon. After all if the Arizona coach gets perp walked off the court by the FBI during the Sweet 16, is Arizona not going to face criticism when they have to pay him $12 million or whatever it is?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
New paradigm going forward will be fewer coaches having the ability to get these buyout clauses. Or at least a big buyout.
Maybe 5-10 coaches with buyouts above $2m.

Reaction Score
There are probably a lot of coaches who know basketball and can teach it. The difficulty in college basketball is recruiting. Recruiting requires being able to recognize talent, having contacts with the right people in the aau and high school circles and being able to close the deal. Coaches who were at one time successful, and proven recruiters, get hired over young unproven talent even if their recent results have been abysmal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom