Is Mensah okay? | The Boneyard

Is Mensah okay?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The 4th leading rusher in UConn history has not been able to get anything going so far this year. Obviously the line play has not been great but that’s been true for much of his time year. He always had a knack for getting through holes and picking up a few yards but he can barley get beyond the LOS. Saw a lot Carter and Burns yesterday.
Is our dude alright?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mensah is fine. He just isn't good.

He has gotten to 4th on the list because the talent at RB has been so bad no one could take away his carries.

I wish him well in life. Hopefully he's taken advantage of the scholarship and will have a long, fulfilling life. I just don't want him carrying the ball anymore.

Reaction Score
Did we lose a bunch of our starting OL due to us taking the year off? That’s the only possible explanation I will accept for our O-Line being this inept.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Did we lose a bunch of our starting OL due to us taking the year off? That’s the only possible explanation I will accept for our O-Line being this inept.
I believe VanDemark is the only returning starter. I think we actually picked up one OL JUCO transfer but Randy’s stubbornness to use the portal to address the OL was fireable in and of itself

Reaction Score
Haynes also. But they have all been bad. I didn't watch Fortin too much yesterday but the previous center had trouble blocking air.

Reaction Score
Watching him get run down from behind in the backfield by Holy Cross was an eye opener. Hard to say if it's physical or he playing too slow.

Reaction Score
There is not deception on running plays, so many defensive players in box that it is hard to find room to stand up, never mind run. He has no burst, no lateral quickness and goes down easily.

Other UConn running backs seem to have the same "cut back to daylight" problem (not that there is that much daylight), they just don't do it. Watching other teams, running backs often make plays by cutting away from designed plays where defense gets there 1st in numbers and by cutting back find creases to opposite side.

Handing off to a stationary RB from the shotgun, with multiple defenders attacking the line of scrimmage just can not/will not work. Mensah is no Barry Sanders, but even Barry would have trouble getting yardage with the UConn offensive scheme (but Barry is 53 now so has probably slowed down some).

Reaction Score
Burns play pretty well yesterday we need some 2 back sets and let Burns lead block for Mensa or Carter he is big enough. Steven Krajewski was effective on the run early but they made Purdue made an adjustment and took that away. It’s old to say but the O line is young except for #74. We had 3 or 4 O lineman transfer at the end of 2019. We had a couple transfers coming in who do to COVID never made it to campus.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Haynes also. But they have all been bad. I didn't watch Fortin too much yesterday but the previous center had trouble blocking air.

Fortin is serviceable and was a major upgrade over Walker. Watched him quite a bit yesterday. I also mentioned Van Demark is supposedly our best blocker and wouldn't start on 3/4 of FBS teams. Again, not his fault. Just no depth and no one able to step up and take it from him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Burns play pretty well yesterday we need some 2 back sets and let Burns lead block for Mensa or Carter he is big enough. Steven Krajewski was effective on the run early but they made Purdue made an adjustment and took that away. It’s old to say but the O line is young except for #74. We had 3 or 4 O lineman transfer at the end of 2019. We had a couple transfers coming in who do to COVID never made it to campus.

And where did those linemen transfer? It wasn't to FBS schools.

Reaction Score
And where did those linemen transfer? It wasn't to FBS schools.
So what is your point they still had played game reps and had some level of experience. How many OL men did we use yesterday? Perhaps lack of second half production was part of lack of depth.

Reaction Score
Mensah has his limitations, but I think the biggest problem is the running plays, by design, are slow developing which is very hard to do successfully. Go back and look at old UConn football highlights. RBs were given the ball quickly and hit the hole fast. OL didn’t have to hold blocks for long.

I’m being a broken record on this, but Giufre is in over his head as OC and it has taken time away from focusing on developing a young line, his other job. It’s not working.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So what is your point they still had played game reps and had some level of experience. How many OL men did we use yesterday? Perhaps lack of second half production was part of lack of depth.

My point is that those linemen who left were leaving because they were being pushed by the current linmen. They're all FCS level talent.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Lundt is overmatched too

Yes, but Lundt is a RS frosh and I expect him to be overmatched. So much so that I would expect a TE in motion, H back, RB or some other player to have to help him on a bunch of plays. UConn's plan is to have kids redshirt and practice for at least a year before seeing the two deep. He's playing his first games since HS. If he's the best RT on the team, so be it. But the coaches have to figure out how to then help him because he isn't ready for this level of play.

Reaction Score
Burns play pretty well yesterday we need some 2 back sets and let Burns lead block for Mensa or Carter he is big enough.
Yes, I have been saying that for some time.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Mensah has a few issues in my book- he doesn't hit the right hole 60% of the time- little guys can squeeze through, he can't. Also, he never falls forward for an extra yard. If you stack him up versus who lugged the ball here- he doesn't belong in the same sentence as Brown and Todman. He doesn't belong with Cornell Brockington and Andre Dixon. Maybe Lyle McCoombs and Arkel Newsome. But no better than those guys.

Reaction Score
Watching him get run down from behind in the backfield by Holy Cross was an eye opener. Hard to say if it's physical or he playing too slow.
Sp funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing. He can’t turn the corners and is rather easily taken down. He.Is not fighting for extra yards and looks like he doesn’t Want to be out there.

I wish him the best - great kid - but use him sparingly go forward.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Mensah is fine. He just isn't good.

He has gotten to 4th on the list because the talent at RB has been so bad no one could take away his carries.

I wish him well in life. Hopefully he's taken advantage of the scholarship and will have a long, fulfilling life. I just don't want him carrying the ball anymore.
Check out his number of carries vs Todman and Brown. He is not a pro prospect but to be #4 in a bit over 3 years and only 400 yards behind Caulley for #2. If he doesn’t gain another yard he is still #4 and that is better than your hyperbole of “he just isn’t good”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom