Is Kemba the most important player to come through UCONN and go to the NBA? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is Kemba the most important player to come through UCONN and go to the NBA?

Reaction Score
Ray is my favorite ever UConn player to watch in the NBA and I tend to agree that his impact as a long-time star on two teams, then part of a big-3 on a title team and then a supporting player who made arguably the biggest shot in finals history makes him the most important.
But Cliff needs his due. Cliff' career was perfectly on brand for the up & coming UConn program. As soon as Cliff fell in the draft, Cliff became synonymous with don't sleep on the Huskies. Then Cliff immediately contributed to contending teams while UConn began contending for titles, soon Cliff played on multiple NBA finals teams. Cliff's NBA play was perfectly emblematic of UConn.

Reaction Score
In a few years I wouldn't be surprised if the real answer isn't Caron.

OP didn't say it had to be limited to on court importance.
Surprised that Caron hasn't been mentioned more. Tuff Juice is incredibly well respected throughout the league, on the board for NBA retired players association, might eventually have his own Marky Mark film, and is starting to become more visible as an analyst

Even got a shout out from Giannis recently...granted for depressing subject matter...on how to act as a black man walking the streets in the US.

Reaction Score
Surprised that Caron hasn't been mentioned more. Tuff Juice is incredibly well respected throughout the league, on the board for NBA retired players association, might eventually have his own Marky Mark film, and is starting to become more visible as an analyst

Even got a shout out from Giannis recently...granted for depressing subject matter...on how to act as a black man walking the streets in the US.
Caron had a very good NBA career, arguably as good as RIP, but he didn't play on a title team (gets a title but DNP with Dallas), he was never on an all-NBA team and he bounced around the league a lot leaving small footprints everywhere but not a definitive identity for non-hardcore NBA fans. Caron's legacy is more of a great teammate, good on both ends, never had a transcendent season so a solid upper middle of pack NBA player.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And by the way, Don't sleep on Andre Drummond either. He's another one where if he continues putting up the same rebounding numbers over the next 5 years, then he will be one of the best rebounders in NBA history. I just feel that Drummond kind of flies under the radar because he's played on very average teams at best with very few prime time games so he does not get the exposure.
I think with Andre it's a chicken or egg thing.

Reaction Score
I think with Andre it's a chicken or egg thing.
Amongst NBA afficionados, AD has a bad-to-neutral rep as a losing player, below average defender (gets murdered in pick-n-roll) and can't play at end of close games. That's his rep, he has spurts that refute that rep but over time it has been sustained. He is two dimensional (rebounds and inside scoring) and at risk of getting Roy Hibberted into Bolivian for lack of shooting/can't defend outside of the paint.

Reaction Score
No, that honor goes to Ray, followed by RIP. You can place him on the next tier with Caron, Gordon, and Cliff with a great shot of joining the top tier in the next half-decade to a decade.

BTW, it is absolutely CRIMINAL RIP was only invited to 3 all-star games in his career. He was an all-star in 2006, 2007, and 2008. He should have been an all-star in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, and 2010. At the very least those 3 allstar appearances should be doubled.

Also, that 2009-10 Pistons team had RIP, Gordon and Villaneuva but sadly only won 27 games an in 2010-11 only won 30 :( .

Reaction Score
Caron had a very good NBA career, arguably as good as RIP, but he didn't play on a title team (gets a title but DNP with Dallas), he was never on an all-NBA team and he bounced around the league a lot leaving small footprints everywhere but not a definitive identity for non-hardcore NBA fans. Caron's legacy is more of a great teammate, good on both ends, never had a transcendent season so a solid upper middle of pack NBA player.
I won't argue the playing career. In the husky family we all know he's a legend, but an outsider would not necessarily know who he is purely from his NBA career

My take on the OP is "most important player" does not necessarily mean best player.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Amongst NBA afficionados, AD has a bad-to-neutral rep as a losing player, below average defender (gets murdered in pick-n-roll) and can't play at end of close games. That's his rep, he has spurts that refute that rep but over time it has been sustained. He is two dimensional (rebounds and inside scoring) and at risk of getting Roy Hibberted into Bolivian for lack of shooting/can't defend outside of the paint.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Ray
Rip
Kemba
Kemba may replace Rip at #2 someday but he'll have to work hard and have some good fortune to move Ray.
If Ray had won a championship at UConn he'd be permanently enshrined at #1

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Pretty easy to say Kemba is more an equal piece of a 3-headed group of 1B's with Tatum and Brown. He's not "The Man" for Boston; they don't have one.

He is their leader, but I agree with you totally. Also, I hate when people denigrate his role on those Celtics teams. I'd say the exact same thing about his role on the Celtics: 1 of a 3-man band.

He was one of 3 HOF players, not a "complementary" piece. He was a complementary, albeit important starter, on the Heat. Ray was on the downside but still in his peak from 08-10, he just happened to have the game and the ego to step to the side a bit. It's easier being viewed as a complementary piece when you're the greatest shooter and also not a me-first guy. Paul Pierce needed the ball in his hands, so their roles were different. If Ray stayed in Seattle he still could have been putting up 27/game.

That's my opinion and a big bugaboo of mine when people discuss those teams. He didn't have a lesser role b/c he wasn't as good or was declining compared to the other 2 HOFers.

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest I love the kid (AD) but watching him play is even tough for a homer like me. I really could understand even if I don’t agree why he was booed by his teams fans. Kemba on the other hand is so exciting even for opposing teams fans.
When the ball is in his hand at crunch time you become closer to god.

Reaction Score
He is their leader, but I agree with you totally. Also, I hate when people denigrate his role on those Celtics teams. I'd say the exact same thing about his role on the Celtics: 1 of a 3-man band.

He was one of 3 HOF players, not a "complementary" piece. He was a complementary, albeit important starter, on the Heat. Ray was on the downside but still in his peak from 08-10, he just happened to have the game and the ego to step to the side a bit. It's easier being viewed as a complementary piece when you're the greatest shooter and also not a me-first guy. Paul Pierce needed the ball in his hands, so their roles were different. If Ray stayed in Seattle he still could have been putting up 27/game.

That's my opinion and a big bugaboo of mine when people discuss those teams. He didn't have a lesser role b/c he wasn't as good or was declining compared to the other 2 HOFers.
I kinda think Ray began declining though. Peak/young Ray was way more athletic than Paul Pierce, but because of his size PP sustained his go-to-ness for a little longer than Ray did + PP was younger. And during his time in Boston Ray's handle somehow deteriorated. The first year which importantly was the title year, Ray was a whisker away from being the finals MVP (Pierce had 38 in game 5 which prob clinched it for him, Ray was steadier), but thereafter the Celtics gradually went away from Ray's role within 3 primary scoring options which is why he ultimately left. Year 1 it was relatively equal among the 3 although Garnett being far more important for defense and culture and Ray probably woulda had the whisker bigger role that Pierce did and been finals MVP if it'd been his team first instead of Pierce's.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I kinda think Ray began declining though. Peak/young Ray was way more athletic than Paul Pierce, but because of his size PP sustained his go-to-ness for a little longer than Ray did + PP was younger. And during his time in Boston Ray's handle somehow deteriorated. The first year which importantly was the title year, Ray was a whisker away from being the finals MVP (Pierce had 38 in game 5 which prob clinched it for him, Ray was steadier), but thereafter the Celtics gradually went away from Ray's role within 3 primary scoring options which is why he ultimately left. Year 1 it was relatively equal among the 3 although Garnett being far more important for defense and culture and Ray probably woulda had the whisker bigger role that Pierce did and been finals MVP if it'd been his team first instead of Pierce's.

No doubt, he was a bit older and definitely not the SAME player as in 98, or 04, or 06 ... he was so criminally underrated in his prime, and then he became known as "just a shooter".

I just hate how people act like he was a washed up role player in 08, he wasn't. He still averaged 17.4 in 07-08 ... in 06-07 in Seattle he averaged 26.4, his highest avg ever. He didn't fall off a cliff in one year, but people's perception of him instantly changed because he was viewed as the 3rd option and a spot up shooter.

That's what gets my goad. 06-07 might have been his most explosive offensive year ever. If the roles were quite literally reversed and Pierce had him playmaking or Pierce wasn't there and it was him as the primary scorer with KG and Rondo, he'd have put up big numbers just the same. Pierce gets all this credit for being this big time closer in those years, understandable, but he never was THAT guy until he had some dudes around him.

By the way, the next 4 years in Boston he then averaged 18, 16, 16 and 14 ... so he clearly was still playing pretty well while declining. Then 11 and 10 with Miami in an obviously much more limited role.

Reaction Score
Is the question the most important player to come to UConn and then go to the NBA or the player with the NBA pedigree that makes the school relevant?

Ray is definitely the answer to the latter question. But if we are being purely UConn-centric, as in most important player to take us to a new level, I think you could argue Smitty and Khalid. Smitty was our first big recruit that JC got to stay home and he was the best player on the Dream Team.

In Khalid, you have a guy who made us a champion. That was a great team, for sure. But we do not win a title if Ricky is our point guard and Albie or Rash is the two. Khalid came for his official visit and became the defacto leader of the team.

In Ray, you have a guy who was a superstar at the college level (although no FF) and a HOF'er in the league. We have not had anyone who lit the candle at both ends like that. Rip was a college star and a very good player in the league. Cliff had a very long and productive career and in hindsight was an important player as a new era began. Donyell had the single best individual college season, but the free throws and inconsistent NBA career rule him out. Drummond's freshmen year was pretty forgettable and while his #'s are pretty gaudy as a pro, he seems to be a polarizing player.

Kemba is close. Obviously, he's a legend for 2011 and he's become an outstanding pro. If he goes on to win a ring or two and goes to Springfield, then he might overtake Ray.

Reaction Score
when he came in to the league, i was concerned he was undersized and nate robinson, i. thomas, etc..battled through it.
i think MJ tried his best and wanted to keep him

guess we’ll see tonite. tight game

Reaction Score
The step back- auto reference to the BET. While maybe not the best, it’s hard to argue a star from here whos college career is referred to as much as Kemba

Reaction Score
The step back- auto reference to the BET. While maybe not the best, it’s hard to argue a star from here whos college career is referred to as much as Kemba
UConn has had a real down period of putting guys in the league which is about to change. The series with Ray vs. Ben Gordon and Rip vs. Ray were unreal, it was all UConn all the time.

Reaction Score
Cliff was the first impact NBA player of the Calhoun Era. It was fun watching him on those 90's Blazer teams. He was an impact player and had "IT".

Reaction Score
Rip has an argument for HOF status imo. won titles on every level all -star. i think he got overshadowed by chauncey

Reaction Score
Kemba can do a lot to further his argument, or at least move in that direction of being the most important by winning game 7 tomorrow (and then beating Miami) because, as much as I love him, his game 6 performance was abysmal and just terrible.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
No, that honor goes to Ray, followed by RIP. You can place him on the next tier with Caron, Gordon, and Cliff with a great shot of joining the top tier in the next half-decade to a decade.

BTW, it is absolutely CRIMINAL RIP was only invited to 3 all-star games in his career. He was an all-star in 2006, 2007, and 2008. He should have been an all-star in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, and 2010. At the very least those 3 allstar appearances should be doubled.

Also, that 2009-10 Pistons team had RIP, Gordon and Villaneuva but sadly only won 27 games an in 2010-11 only won 30 :( .

I was all set to be a big Pistons fan twice ... I liked em with Rip, was ready to really like them with Charlie and Ben but Ben never got going ... he was on the verge of being my 2nd favorite NBA player after his Bulls stint.

Then the Pistons / Hornets both could have had a Drummond / Kemba combo. And honestly, even the Celtics could have! It's not meant to be I guess.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Ray Ray all the way. Just when I thought Ray couldn't get any better...he got better.

Reaction Score
kemba better wake up at halftime this is a legacy game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom