Is Kemba the most important player to come through UCONN and go to the NBA? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Kemba the most important player to come through UCONN and go to the NBA?

Reaction Score
Rip left after his junior year.
I know, I thought I typed that. My bad. But his coming back for that junior year was one of the most important decision in the history of UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Depending on your age and when you started liking and following Uconn matters. I would say its between Chris Smith/Cliff Robinson. This is when the consistency started from getting to the NIT in 80's and the Elite 8 in early 90's.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I said as now. Recruits probably don’t know who Donyell is and Rip has been away for awhile. You could argue for Ray. He is also in movies and got lebron a ring. But as of right now for UCONN, Kemba is the guy.

we could have dion waiters or MCW....:oops:

Reaction Score
I said as now. Recruits probably don’t know who Donyell is and Rip has been away for awhile. You could argue for Ray. He is also in movies and got lebron a ring. But as of right now for UCONN, Kemba is the guy.

I'll agree that kids aren't familiar with Donyell or Rip as much as they used to be. Ray is still a household name. They talk about him on the Heat, but kids remember the shot in game 6. Everyone does.

Reaction Score

as of now Kemba is number 1 to recruits and the only one we have. Even bigs don’t want to be like Drummond.

Reaction Score
Looking at the original question in this thread my mind immediately went to Ray. He was a bonafide NBA star, Hall of Famer, and even crossed over into movies. So yeah it’s Ray Allen/Jesus Shuttleworth and that’s no slight to anyone else.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It’s gotta be Ray! He starred in a movie!

Kemba needs a few titles to catch up to him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Still Ray Allen. Probably Cliff and Rip next. Cliff had a hugely productive and long career. Rip was on some very good Pistons teams. Kemba can and probably will move past Cliff and Rip. If his knee holds up.

Reaction Score
Certainly not at the very top; but not listed so far is Emeka. At the time he was everything a program could want as a student athlete and that played real well for him AND the university on TV. He and we got The Ring. Media darling. He sure was a much bigger and more impactful name than was Jimmer Fredette in his wettest dream.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I think the "most important" is where the real success started so I'd say the 89-90 team combined since there was no singular superstar. They put UConn on the map. Without them, Donyell, our first big time McDonald's All-American recruit may not come here to help sustain it, then Ray, then Rip, etc taking it to the next level year after year. I.e. without that team taking down the so called elite teams every week and "The Shot", etc we might not even be having this conversation.

Ray's full body of work is the most impressive but without Huskymania in 89-90, I doubt he even considers coming to Uconn...

Reaction Score
Ray was no complimentary player. He was the focal point. No ifs ands or buts.
Certainly not on the Celtics Championship team. You are delusional if you really think otherwise.

Reaction Score
I’m not saying most successful right now, but most important to UCONN as of now
I’d what you meant to ask was most important right now then there’s no point even debating. But the way it was phrased I’d go ray, rip, then Kemba.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
In a few years I wouldn't be surprised if the real answer isn't Caron.

OP didn't say it had to be limited to on court importance.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think the "most important" is where the real success started so I'd say the 89-90 team combined since there was no singular superstar. They put UConn on the map. Without them, Donyell, our first big time McDonald's All-American recruit may not come here to help sustain it, then Ray, then Rip, etc taking it to the next level year after year. I.e. without that team taking down the so called elite teams every week and "The Shot", etc we might not even be having this conversation.

Ray's full body of work is the most impressive but without Huskymania in 89-90, I doubt he even considers coming to Uconn...

Yeah, this is basically my thought as well.

Unless “important” is referring to helping us currently.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
When Wade, Lebron and Ray went to Miami they all sat for a joint interview. The final question was, "With one shot to win the game, who takes the shot?" Ray answered, "the open man". Wade and Lebron just pointed to Ray. That proved prophetic:
1599388669665.png

I vote with Wade and LeBron

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score

Just reread the title of the thread so my rant makes no sense. I apologize. That said, Ray Allen is the answer here I think with Donyell and Cliff up there paving the way.

Reaction Score
It’s Ray

I find is shocking how so many younger people do not understand how freakin good Donyell was. A couple free throws and he would be immortal in the state of CT

Reaction Score
Of course the answer is Ray being a HOF and being in the spot light for nearly 20 years. Being Jesus Shuttlesworth in he got game. Cliff and Rip are a huge impact as well being on a lot of nationally televised games being in the Finals a couple of times.

I wouldnt even wanna know where this program would stand without Kembas impact to this program. Our history would look ancient to recruits if not for 2011 and 2014. His 2011 run led to Shabazz winning a title in 2014. Despite the lack of success after 2014, Kembas name has over shadowed those down years some what. Everyone who watches the NBA and see him play they remember Cardiac Kemba, its great that hes back into the spot light in Boston and playing just down the road. Hopefully he can get to the ECF and possibly get to the Finals that would really enhance his legacy.

Reaction Score
I would go with Donyell. His joining the program was incredibly 'important'. Nadav stunned the program when he left and Calhoun had to prove that the team was not a fluke. They had a nice recruiting class coming in, but getting Yell changed the recruiting outlook forever. After him, nobody was off the table.
Then he came and developed into one of the best college players, was drafted high and had a very solid NBA career. The fact that he developed under Calhoun and staff was big.

Reaction Score
Ray is the only Hall of Fame player that ever came through the mens basketball program at UConn, so he is number 1 right now. Kemba has a real shot at making the HOF as well. If he can play at this level for the next 4-5 years, and maybe add an NBA Championship, then he will be a lock.

And by the way, Don't sleep on Andre Drummond either. He's another one where if he continues putting up the same rebounding numbers over the next 5 years, then he will be one of the best rebounders in NBA history. I just feel that Drummond kind of flies under the radar because he's played on very average teams at best with very few prime time games so he does not get the exposure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom