Men - Is it time for UConn to have men's varsity lacrosse team | The Boneyard

Men Is it time for UConn to have men's varsity lacrosse team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the Rent hosting regional championship lacrosse games this weekend, the success of the women's team, the popularity of lacrosse in Connecticut, is it time for UConn to have a varsity men's team in the sport? I seem to remember Susan Herbst was a fan of the sport. There are six teams playing now in the New Big East.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
With the Rent hosting regional championship lacrosse games this weekend, the success of the women's team, the popularity of lacrosse in Connecticut, is it time for UConn to have a varsity men's team in the sport? I seem to remember Susan Herbst was a fan of the sport. There are six teams playing now in the New Big East.
Talk to your friends and get your checkbooks out, because it’s not happening without private money sponsoring it.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
How many scholarships you add for men's lacrosse, you need to add to women's sports for Title IX purposes.

Reaction Score
Just how expensive is it to have a men's team, What does Providence College budget?

I found online average D1 scholarship is about $20,000. Scholarship limit is 12.6 for men's team.

Reaction Score
We’ve been through this before (and nothing has changed, heck one can argue it’s gotten considerably more difficult.). Dave Benedict has said that all someone has to do is just write the check…

Jeff Jacobs: Lacrosse at UConn makes sense, but don’t hold your breath

“It’s not a priority at this time from the standpoint that we’ve got a lot other things we’re dealing with,” UConn athletic director David Benedict said. “Obviously, whether it’s sports sponsorship or budget, we’ve got to get our situation in order before we start thinking about adding sports.

“I do think if you were ever going to consider adding a sport at UConn, that one is at the top of the list.”

“Listen, we can’t go back and play revisionist history here,” said Benedict, hired in 2016. “But why that sport wasn’t on the list and isn’t already sponsored at our place, I can’t tell you. This isn’t just something that’s becoming relevant right now. This is a sport we could have been dominating the last decade.”

“If someone came forward who wanted to support lacrosse financially, it certainly would increase the likelihood of it happening,” Benedict said. “That hasn’t happened. We really haven’t gone out and solicited people for it. It is something we’ll have on the list, but there are more pressing things we’ve got to address first.”

“It comes down to this,” Brameier said, “money and managing Title IX numbers.”

Truth. That’s why lacrosse is a club sport for men at UConn and the women are Division I.

“If you add a men’s sport, you have to have something to offset that,” Benedict said. “A lot of these men’s lacrosse teams have 40 athletes (average D-I roster: 44). That’s a big number. What would be the complementary sport to add for women? Or do you reduce a men’s sport? You’re not canceling soccer or baseball at our place.”

Few things would win over Fairfield County better than adding lacrosse. Evidently it will take some gold from the Gold Cost to make it happen. “Anybody interested,” Benedict said, “should look me up.”<

Background

Reaction Score
The men's lacrosse program at UNC Chapel Hill made $854,215 in revenue and spent $1,404,192 in expenses based on recent online info

Reaction Score
Talk to your friends and get your checkbooks out, because it’s not happening without private money sponsoring it.

I mentioned in another one of these threads recently that I was at a banquet meeting many years ago where this same question came up with UConn athletics officials present. From what I recall, it was said at the time that several million dollars would be needed to get the program going and to sustain it. UConn athletics finances are certainly not in the best of shape, so some big donations will be needed to get this done.

Reaction Score
Just how expensive is it to have a men's team, What does Providence College budget?

I found online average D1 scholarship is about $20,000. Scholarship limit is 12.6 for men's team.

Providence doesn’t have a football team, which gives them a lot more flexibility to add other sports on the mens side of things than UConn.

Reaction Score

No surprise with this statement. I recall many years ago being at a brunch that UConn athletics put on, and someone asked about a men's lacrosse program. While the dollar figure might have been a bit less, this was pretty much the answer to that question at the time as well. Millions of dollars in donations would be needed to fund the program getting started.

Reaction Score
No surprise with this statement. I recall many years ago being at a brunch that UConn athletics put on, and someone asked about a men's lacrosse program. While the dollar figure might have been a bit less, this was pretty much the answer to that question at the time as well. Millions of dollars in donations would be needed to fund the program getting started.
See post #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger