Is Aubrey injured? | The Boneyard

Is Aubrey injured?

Reaction Score
I'm an AG rooter. GA's got to help her be successful: got to get her the ball inside, where she can deal, not behind the 3-point line and IMO she was left on an island covering Dungee. Not to be funny, but the only time Dungee saw AG last night was in her rearview mirror.
We should have known that we did not have anyone to cover her in man-to-man and we didn't play good team defense, like sliding over and helping, hedging on screens, or protecting the rim.

Reaction Score
I'm an AG rooter. GA's got to help her be successful: got to get her the ball inside, where she can deal, not behind the 3-point line and IMO she was left on an island covering Dungee. Not to be funny, but the only time Dungee saw AG last night was in her rearview mirror.
We should have known that we did not have anyone to cover her in man-to-man and we didn't play good team defense, like sliding over and helping, hedging on screens, or protecting the rim.

For all the talk about AG being the most athletic player ever to put on the Uconn uniform, I can't believe that she could not guard Dungee.

Reaction Score
For all the talk about AG being the most athletic player ever to put on the Uconn uniform, I can't believe that she could not guard Dungee.
True, but it's why their offense is so difficult to stop. One-on-one defense on a skilled offensive player with multiple screens. In Maryland, you see it every night. Dribble drive-kick. One year I coached boys varsity, I quit playing man. Either you're going to work on it 24-7-365 or you're gunna move on quickly to Plan B and be able to work on other things too. Surprised Geno had no Plan B. Disappointing. Aubrey needed her coach to have her back yesterday.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I do not think she could believe it either, but her struggles were obvious. But there was no one on UConn that effectively guarded her for long. Dungee was on a roll, and the failure of the officials to call her pushing off led our kids to be had all night. I feel bad for our kids, but you have to adjust to the game as it plays out.

Reaction Score
She was having issues with back spasms earlier in the season. Those don’t just magically go away so maybe that’s been a lingering issue (I sincerely hope it’s not and won’t be). As others have pointed out, it might’ve been more about what was working or trying to find a lineup that could get things going on the defensive end for UConn.

Reaction Score
Like do you ever think they didn’t ha e much time to film study this game was played on short notice. AG gave the best she could and always will hurt or not. Dungee is a Top 5 WNBA pick and a year senior.

Reaction Score
I was surprised by just 19 minutes and early.
No criticism toward you, but I can’t help being amused/perplexed that Aubrey has one poor outing and we see concern that she might be injured while Anna has struggled for weeks without any questions about whether she might be injured. (Which she was)

Reaction Score
No criticism toward you, but I can’t help being amused/perplexed that Aubrey has one poor outing and we see concern that she might be injured while Anna has struggled for weeks without any questions about whether she might be injured. (Which she was)
Anna was playing. No reason to suspect she was injured.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Neither could Baylor’s Didi Richards who some folks think will be named the NDPOY. Dungee is a nightmare to guard. The only thing that has slowed her down so far has been frequent foul problems resulting from Dungee’s agressive play at both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
I do not think she could believe it either, but her struggles were obvious. But there was no one on UConn that effectively guarded her for long. Dungee was on a roll, and the failure of the officials to call her pushing off led our kids to be had all night. I feel bad for our kids, but you have to adjust to the game as it plays out.
Bama fan you are right. Dungee got away with a lot of offensive fouls, but they just have to play through it. Hope we see them again in the tournament.

Reaction Score
I assume she hid it. But I would like to know.
Geno said in his G-town pre-game presser after they announced Anna and Paige were out for that game that Anna had been dealing with the leg thing for "a couple weeks" and it didn't seem to be getting better.

Reaction Score
A big part of the defense problem was not that no one could guard Dungee, they could for a while but when she finally blew by the guard there was no one inside to block the shot because the post players (Aubrey or Liv and sometimes AE) were outside on the arc where they were not needed. the zone could not extend out to effectively guard the 3 ball because the middle was empty.

Reaction Score
I was really surprised that Dungee was able to do spin moves in the middle of the paint with no double or triple down like when Liv got the ball in the middle. I know she could then kick it back outside for three's but on defense, you have to stop something that is working for the other team and hope they miss some 3 balls. Layups are too easy.

Reaction Score
Aubrey presents a difficult set of issues for Geno. On defense, if she goes after the best shooter she is typically away from basket and another guard must rebound. UConn has been getting hurt on the offensive boards by teams with lesser height, in part because of this. On offense, keeping her out high on the foul line gives the defenders the ability to guard 5 on 4, either clogging the middle or encouraging Aubrey to take low percentage 3's. Aubrey is a great asset when the other team plays a helter skelter game or lets her get offensive rebounds. Unfortunately, most top teams have a point guard who runs a disciplined offense and knows, as Arkansas and TN did, how to box out.

Reaction Score
Aubrey presents a difficult set of issues for Geno. On defense, if she goes after the best shooter she is typically away from basket and another guard must rebound. UConn has been getting hurt on the offensive boards by teams with lesser height, in part because of this. On offense, keeping her out high on the foul line gives the defenders the ability to guard 5 on 4, either clogging the middle or encouraging Aubrey to take low percentage 3's. Aubrey is a great asset when the other team plays a helter skelter game or lets her get offensive rebounds. Unfortunately, most top teams have a point guard who runs a disciplined offense and knows, as Arkansas and TN did, how to box out.
It would not be a problem if Ono collapsed back in the lane when a guard drives. That was the big defensive problem against Arkansas and was why Geno went with the smalls. If your big doesn't go where bigs are needed, you might as well go small. If AE had not fouled out he would not have been forced to go small. She knows how to and would have covered the lane. Don't get me wrong, I am an Ono fan, but she had a very bad game.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Almost all players at all levels know how to defend the dribbler. Drop step, slide, stay low, it takes effort but not that big a deal. The problem is they typically think that if they get beat there is help behind them. McLean got beat on the baseline after closing out high going for the block. She defends that nine out of ten times in practice. This team expects ONO to be the great equalizer. With her out, Arkansas was shooting layups off the dribble.

I pointed out Mir, but watching CW, as many have pointed out, getting beat off the dribble multiple times was disheartening and costly. Watching that makes wonder if Geno was referring to some upperclassmen when talking about players not listening.

Reaction Score
McLean got beat on the baseline after closing out high going for the block. She defends that nine out of ten times in practice. This team expects ONO to be the great equalizer.
Did Geno send you a note with those numbers ? I heard three out of five times in practice.

Reaction Score
Can you tell me specifically where she got beat repeatedly by Dungee? It didn't happen. Yes she got beat, but Dungee had to work and use mutliple moves to do it. Anybody else guarding her, Dungee just blew right past them.
AG did a respectible job on Dungee. If you disagree, please tell me when in the game this happened. The evidence needs to me multiple times, not just once or twice because Dungee is a potential first team AA and she will win her fair share of possessions too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom