Is ANY telephone manufacturer, retail channel, or mobile carrier CUSTOMER SERVICE not awful? | The Boneyard

Is ANY telephone manufacturer, retail channel, or mobile carrier CUSTOMER SERVICE not awful?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
After 10+ months of trouble-free performance, my Google Pixel 5a phone one day powered down and never again functioned.

I quickly located some message board discussion that the telephone's failure was an identified and known (though not overwhelmingly widespread) issue. And I was also given strong advance warning that Google Store technical support for warranty repair/replacement held high possibility to be a nightmare.

Across multiple sessions, at multiple junctures, for multiple issues, by multiple means & access points, and related to multiple departments . . . I have been challenged by and I remain uneasy within my worst, sustained customer service experience ever. This spans decades, and I spent many years working in application programming, systems design & implementation, training & direct customer support on-site and remotely, primarily in computer telephony .

I am only posting now after it appears that my replacement telephone has been finally been shipped today, even though Fedex cannot yet provide Tracking information. I anticipate many more possibilities for trouble that will not be resolved easily.

Similarly, the required return of my dead telephone - done from a Walgreen's Fedex counter - continues to show ONLY that a label has been generated. No further Tracking information is available, even though Walgreen's tells me that the phone I left with them (for which I obtained a receipt on Tuesday night) is gone from their store.

Have things degraded so badly that ALL companies are as bad as I am experiencing?

I know that I will not again purchase directly from a manufacturer's retail channel that is essentially 100% online and holds almost no possibility for direct, real-time communication except super-highly limited telephone contact, and chat sessions that offer more possibilities but is still poorly designed and managed.

Until this purchase, I went 4 or 5 two-year cycles with Moto X and Moto G phones that were steadily regarded as value winners. My expectation was that after a couple of years, the phone would show the stresses of heavy use, and I'd just spend another $2-300 for the next version of a decently featured & performing phone. I chose the Pixel for better camera, a longer software update/support cycle, and a two year interest-free financing for a phone I planned as a 3-year proposition.

A shout out to Capital One and Walgreen's, both of whom have had actual people who could answer simple questions quickly, responding to situations that eluded key word auto-responses, circular runs through web sites, untrained agents, siloed information systems, etc., etc.

Again, is this our world, especially since COVID?
Does anybody know of or recommend something better?
What forums, apps, sites, or resources have you found helpful?

At this point, I'm planning toward what would be my successor phone, or where I'd buy it, or how I'd deal with a performance problem, or a repair in or out of warranty, or getting tech support that might relate to network, hardware, operating system, applications, etc.

Optionally, I'd settle for somebody else's rant, just so I know I'm not alone.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think it sucks that you have to run a gauntlet to get to a person. But once there I have received excellent support from Verizon, AMEX and hotels.com in the last 6 months. BTW, I hate my Google Pixel 5a. The battery life blows.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With our kids grown and out of the house we realized we didn't need the extra 500GB of service from Cox on top of our 1.25TB we have included with our plan.

I went online via my account to try and do it and needless to say Cox doesn't make it user friendly. I opened up the chat feature and the person? on the other end of the chat said they needed my name, phone number, account number and PIN before they could do anything. I typed back that I had to log on to my account to access the chat feature and by logging on to my account I have access to the account profile and bills which has all the information requested. I said even if I was a hacker, I could provide all that information. the Bot was kinda stuck on that for a while. I ended up fingering our how to change the service by myself on line and then it gave me a window saying I still had to call to complete the change in service.

I gave them the worst score possible for the online suvey which popped up and I explained their information security procedures are ridiculously bad and don't protect the consumer at all. Multifactor authentication ain't their thing.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think it sucks that you have to run a gauntlet to get to a person. But once there I have received excellent support from Verizon, AMEX and hotels.com in the last 6 months. BTW, I hate my Google Pixel 5a. The battery life blows.
Funny that before the phone died, 5a's battery life was quite good for me.

Hopeful update:

The Fedex tracking # that Google provided for me in my RMA was never associated with the package as picked up and successfully shipped by FedEx to Texas. Google's impenetrable online support still doesn't know this, and therefore thinks things are stalled at the stage where I have a shipping label but haven't done anything yet. I know that the package was signed for at 1:11 pm on Friday by D. Avid in Grapevine, TX. Walgreen's generated an entirely different Tracking #. That worked fine when I entered it into FedEx system, whether website or app. But if I click on the link to the number Google provided, FedEx simply says it's "unavailable" with no explanation. It does the same thing when I click on a link for the phone they said they sent out to me, and there, there is a hyperlink, but no easy way to get the actual number to either copy visually & then manually enter OR copy-and-paste. Once I figured out where and how to find the actual tracking number, and then enter it, I learned that my phone is in Schaumburg, IL and expected between noon-4pm on Tuesday. Again, Google's can't get me to that info, and they only said that a phone is on its way to me.

I couln't get anybody on the phone from FedEx, but once I entered the info, I could track the inbound & outbound with ease. And it shows the unused Google-assigned tracking number. This adds up to a mixed grade. Google still sports at least one black eye every time I goiinto any part of their system. Now it's more contemptible & comedic. It no longer owns me because I've figured out how to work through the systems of their service partners. It's still flawed, poorly-designed & programmed, non-responsive to easily-imagined customer needs & preferences, frustratingly circuitous and circular to navigate, and insufficiently clear or with optimized visual continuity to provide a good user experience.

I have fooled in gaps and informed my intuitions by physically showing up at a helpful Verizon reseller storefront; poking my head into a UbreakIfix store because they do post-warranty Google Premium Care plan contract work; running my thoughts past a website-designer/builder friend; recruiting patient folks to be sounding boards, including the public library tech teachers. All have affirmed my troubleshooting process & ideas, and all have done major head-shaking when I told & shown them various stumbling blocks along my path. I'm glad that I can still do this stuff. No way should it be this much of a challenge.

One goofy prediction is that I will have to work hard to go 2-3 levels into Google Support chat to get a knowledgeable rep and be able to wipe out the initial FedEx tracking number, so they don't figure that I've not returned the dead phone within 21 days and therefore charge the crefit card that has a full retail price Hold. And yes, the Hold is to protect them for swapping out my dead phone for a refurb, when I could get brand new at a $75 discount from retail list price, just in case I try to defraud them and keep my dead phone. I also have read that Google regularly denies that phones like my dead one qualify for Warranty service after they are inspected when the come back. My phone hasn't had any hard falls (also, it was in a case with a screen protector when in use) or taken on water, but I have been warned that I should've overconfident.

I'm wishing to evolve further into being amused rather than disgusted, to wordplay from Elvis Costello.

And I still wonder who has any good sources for the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom