• ABL New England Blizzard.pdf
    445.6 KB · Views: 178

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
In the ABL players were assigned to the team in their area. That is why there were so many UConn players, or players from Conn. on the Blizzard.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oops. New England Blizzard. :oops::oops:
Mmmm Blizzards...

1632845262963.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kara Wolters salary then would make her one of the highest paid WNBA players now.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I had season tix, first level, in one corner. Loved going to the games. Went to an adult BB camp one weekend and got coached by Berube, KC Jones, and Wolters. The latter tried to teach me, a novice 30 y/o hooper to do a double pivot up and under, ala McHale, and I laughed, wondering when a 5'7" person would ever do it. Had a great time, until we scrimmaged, and I thought it would be wise to try to take a charge from someone dribbling downcourt, taller and bigger than me. Almost ripped my leg off, and then I drove to Northhampton to see a concert, and most of it was SRO.

Needless to say, there was alot of alleve in use that night.

ps - I still have the shirt with my number (#33) and last name on it, and a ton of autographs, including Carolyn Jones.

Reaction Score
Kara Wolters salary then would make her one of the highest paid WNBA players now.

IIRC that was what basically torpedoed the ABL- they couldn't generate the revenue to pay those generous salaries. Being in competition with the WNBA made it tough to get corporate sponsorships, television deals etc.

Reaction Score
Ah The New England Blizzards and the Old ABL. The Blizzards had a really cool logo, Polar Bear with a basketball. Plus the sky blue uniforms were nice.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
My husband and I were season ticket holders. Loved them.

My two Blizzard stories:
- The Blizzard was playing Semeka Randall's team in Springfield MA and we were seated in the second row in a very 'intimate' setting.

Randall was playing really well! Really.Well. At one point she was preparing to inbound the ball on the sidelines, about 3-4 feet away from me. In frustration, I yelled out "For God's Sake! Could SOMEONE guard Boo Randall? She's killing us!!"

She cracked up laughing, turned to make eye contact with me and gave a big grin. It was a nice moment from a true competitor.

- Speaking of competitors, the Blizzard were playing in Hartford and Jen Rizotti had to leave in the first half with a shoulder injury. She returned in the 2nd half with her shoulder heavily wrapped and helped lead the team to victory. Found out later she'd dislocated her shoulder and told the medical staff to do whatever they had to do so she could play. IIRC, the league folded after that game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
We attended at least one Blizzards game. Also a couple of Philadelphia Rage games, in the Palestra. Fun, very fan conscious. Was disappointed when the league folded, but was not surprised.

Reaction Score
Some really good stories so I'd like to add mine. I had a pair of season tickets for 2 years. Brought my 3 1/2 year old son. Our seats were in 102 row Y. A great play happened and everyone cheered. there's that moment after that get real quite and my son let's out a "goooo Bizzard" and half the arena Laughed. A few weeks later I'm at Big Y. my son in the cart at the Deli. I feel a presence next to me and it's Carla Berube. I asked her to say hi to my son as he loves going to the games. She leans over and say's "Hi Brian" he look bewildered and I tell him "Brian this is Carla Berube , She play with Jen Rizzoti and the Blizzard" He perks up and Yells "Where's Jen Zotti, Where's Jen Zotti!!!!" Carla laughed and was a real sweet heart..
Thought I'd add somethin I've saved...

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 88

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members