Inside Kemba Walkers Road To UConn and The National Championship That Shaped Who He Is Today | The Boneyard

Inside Kemba Walkers Road To UConn and The National Championship That Shaped Who He Is Today

Reaction Score

Really well written article by Chris Grenham. Goes into detail about the Brandon Jennings recruitment and how Kemba eventually came to UConn.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
just saw this and read it this morning - good read!

Reaction Score
Back then Kelly Williams (Marcus’ dad) was in Connecticut a lot. I really liked him, he was a nice guy. I would see him at practices and talk to him a lot. He was also an assistant coach on the So Cal All-Stars, Brandon and Marcus’ AAU team. I used to ask him about Brandon and Kelly would tell me he was coming to UConn. Glad it didn’t work out!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
crazy to think that brandon jennings and brandon knight turned into kemba and bazz....I'd say we turned out alright
Wanted to give a second like for rhyming.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Fantastic article, what a great read! Thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score

Really well written article by Chris Grenham. Goes into detail about the Brandon Jennings recruitment and how Kemba eventually came to UConn.
Great article! It was great to re-experience that magical season! Thanks for posting it!

Reaction Score
Great article. It's very long but if you haven't read it yet take 10 minutes out of your day and read it.

Loved this part:

Walker wanted to go to UConn, but it was Jennings who remained the Huskies’ top target. As long as Jennings was in the fold, Walker would be forced to go elsewhere. Richardson says that played a major role in his Arizona Cactus Classic performance.

“Huge chip on his shoulder,” Richardson said. “That was Kemba’s dream school. The conversations that we would have with Kemba were, ‘We don’t think you’re good enough yet. So you have to continue to prove it.’ What better way to prove it than destroying the guy that they want? It was personal, and I say that with all due respect.”

Reaction Score
Kemba's final year at UConn, for me personally, was the most exciting and entertaining college basketball I've ever watched. Old Big East, ankle-breaking stepback in the BET, shunned by the league awarding Ben Hansborough and then again by the NCAA with Jimmer, only to prove all the haters wrong by winning the whole thing. It felt like every other game throughout the season he was either hitting a game-winner or putting up some ridiculous highlight. In the moment watching his last season it felt surreal what he was doing countless times, and never imagined it would ever amount to a national championship with the level of talent surrounding him on that team. I've always felt, in my personal opinion, that no player has meant more to UConn than Kemba Walker. And on top of it all, he's an incredible person off the court with one of the most likable personalities.

#InKembaITrust

Reaction Score
Kemba's final year at UConn, for me personally, was the most exciting and entertaining college basketball I've ever watched. Old Big East, ankle-breaking stepback in the BET, shunned by the league awarding Ben Hansborough and then again by the NCAA with Jimmer, only to prove all the haters wrong by winning the whole thing. It felt like every other game throughout the season he was either hitting a game-winner or putting up some ridiculous highlight. In the moment watching his last season it felt surreal what he was doing countless times, and never imagined it would ever amount to a national championship with the level of talent surrounding him on that team. I've always felt, in my personal opinion, that no player has meant more to UConn than Kemba Walker. And on top of it all, he's an incredible person off the court with one of the most likable personalities.

#InKembaITrust

I think I watched every game including Maui that year. And the end ... It was the best sports 6 weeks of my life. I loved Kemba, the team, and Calhoun. You could sense it was the last hurrah of sorts. Prime age, living in the city, I could watch every game drunkenly and without consequence. Boston was electric for UConn. I will remember that run until I die.

Reaction Score
I think I watched every game including Maui that year. And the end ... It was the best sports 6 weeks of my life. I loved Kemba, the team, and Calhoun. You could sense it was the last hurrah of sorts. Prime age, living in the city, I could watch every game drunkenly and without consequence. Boston was electric for UConn. I will remember that run until I die.
I was in Boston for a work trip and we were at some bar I can't remember near union oyster house for the SDSU game. I got so drunk I can't even remember the atmosphere, but I do remember getting free shots (at least I think they were free...) from the bartender when I was obnoxiously cheering after the win

Reaction Score
crazy to think that brandon jennings and brandon knight turned into kemba and bazz....I'd say we turned out alright
Two national titles out of the deal. Ill take it! This is why i never get caught up in recruiting rankings. I appreciate ever kid that decides to come here and dont worry at all about the ones that go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I don't think I have seen a read like that for anyone....ever....and if that wasn't enough.....his actions contagiously spread to the next team leader and champion.
It truly is a mind boggling story of leadership, friendship, trust and reward. "Special" is not enough of a word.
kembazz.GIF

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom